Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How to see target damage?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

NewtSoup
Competent
Competent

How to see target damage?

Post by NewtSoup »

Hi there,

Does anyone know of an OXP that will allow me to view my current target lock's shield and hull status? Or just a simple health bar if it's just all one value.

I'd like an indicator as to whether I'm wasting time on a particular ship as I spent ages emptying energy into a Gecko last night with beam laser ( and I wasn't constantly missing ) and it just wouldn't die and the more time I spent on it the more I felt I should stick with it because "it's got to pop soon!"

The player ship has shield and energy recharge so I suspect the AI ships do too.

I've googled and poured through the managed oxp list but the closest I can find is an CombatMFD which doesn't really show me the info I want.

Thanks in advance :)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: How to see target damage?

Post by Smivs »

I seem to remember this being discussed before.
I think it fell into the 'best not to know' camp, on the basis that if you could see your opponent's energy/shield strength, then it's only fair that they can see yours, and personally that's not something I'd want!
If I can see theirs but they can't see mine, well that's a bit too cheaty player-centric really.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
NewtSoup
Competent
Competent

Post by NewtSoup »

Then that is my project of my first OXP. I shall work out how it's done. I know my way around Java, Java Script, xml, a bit of C/C++ and Objective C I'm sure I'll manage. 8)

Though my above query still stands.
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

NewtSoup wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:20 pm
Then that is my project of my first OXP.
Looking forward to that one!
javirodriguez
Competent
Competent

Post by javirodriguez »

Hi!
You are looking for DETECTORS.OXP.
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15039
You must take into account that this OXP is obsolete.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

The default way is to look the exhaust plumes of your target, if it is blinking then energy is low, if blinking faster then very low. CombatMFD print Damaged/Weak in these states.

Detectors display numeric values, including armor if any. You need a HUD with support for Detectors to see the value over your crosshairs, for example the built-in HUDs in HUDSelector OXP. Otherwise you will see numbers attached to the ship names only.

There is a willful inaccuracy in detection, sometimes you will see 0 when the ship is still alive. In this case you need to deliver a few more hits.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Maybe the easiest way to do this one would be a direct core change, which is very simple if you can handle Obj-C. Since you want to make it a project, I am not going to provide the solution right away, just give a hint that you need to look inside src/Core/HeadUpDisplay.m.

This is what it looks like after the change has been applied. The energy percentage updates in real time, reflecting not only hits but also energy banks regeneration with time:

Still, if you hit a wall or just want to save time, give a shout and I'll post the patch to do this (only a few lines long). Good luck and welcome to the Dark Side.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

another_commander wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:18 am
Good luck and welcome to the Dark Side.
<makes mental note to refill cookie jar>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
NewtSoup
Competent
Competent

Post by NewtSoup »

It wasn't my first OXP in the end. Last night I wrote a Mining IFF Scanner Upgrade to colour asteroids, boulders and splinters differently for easier tracking when mining :)

Also - I didn't realise mining lasers were THAT good in combat!. Better than beams!. 5 shots to kill a Moray Starboat that was stealing all my splinters. I think I don't need to see target damage. Just bigger guns!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

NewtSoup wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:44 pm
Just bigger guns!
Like Laser Cannons?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Also - I didn't realise mining lasers were THAT good in combat!. Better than beams!. 5 shots to kill a Moray Starboat that was stealing all my splinters.

Eh? Something's changed while I was away, then.. they used to be utter rubbish in combat.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Diziet Sma wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:16 pm
Also - I didn't realise mining lasers were THAT good in combat!. Better than beams!. 5 shots to kill a Moray Starboat that was stealing all my splinters.

Eh? Something's changed while I was away, then.. they used to be utter rubbish in combat.
Mining lasers are weaker than pulse lasers if you compare only damage per second figures (20 dps vs 30 dps), but they have high burst damage: 50 damage per shot/2.5 recharge versus 15/0.5 for the pulse, so in 2.5 seconds you can deal 100 damage with the mining laser versus 90 for the pulse laser (*). Of course, after that time the pulse laser "wins", but for a target already on low shields those extra 10 damage points can mean a sudden demise.

(*) assuming one actually lands all 6 pulse laser shots (versus only 2 for the mining laser).