Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Times they are a changing ...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CmdrGumbo
Competent
Competent

Times they are a changing ...

Post by CmdrGumbo »

As I have written in an earlier post, I've been out of the Ooniverse for about six years and I must admit that during this hiatus, I didn't follow the forum. So when I got into that Cobra Mk. III and headed for the stars to find my luck, I didn't know of the changes that had been made to Oolite in the meantime. One week into the game, I just survived a very nasty attack by two groups of pirates (eight ships altogether) by injecting and hoping for the best. So I thought I'd stop at the next Dodo and grab one of those energy bombs that served me so well in the old days. Or so I thought ... :lol:

Fortunately, I decided to check the wiki before asking some stupid question regarding a change that has been discussed thoroughly and eventually implemented about four (five?!) years ago. But what about Q-bombs? Are those still in the game? Because I haven't found one yet.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Times they are a changing ...

Post by Cody »

The Quirium Cascade Mine is still in the game - yours for 2,500 credits (at TL7 and above, I think - should be higher).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

… and I think you need a vacant pylon before they're offered.

Pirate kibble - keeping a few TCs of Food on hand to throw to the wolves when they're getting too close - is a cheaper option!
Cody

Post by Cody »

<nods>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CmdrGumbo
Competent
Competent

Post by CmdrGumbo »

Disembodied wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:26 pm
… and I think you need a vacant pylon before they're offered.

Pirate kibble - keeping a few TCs of Food on hand to throw to the wolves when they're getting too close - is a cheaper option!
Okay, just checked - I had all pylons equipped with missiles so that was the reason no quirium cascade mine was available to me. Wonderful, I will buy one right away and then it's payback time. Or to quote another commander: STAY THE **** AWAY FROM MY ****ING CARGO!

As for carrying "emergency cargo", I have the impression that this (dumping a few containers of cargo to satisfy the agressors) works more often now than it did in the old 1.74 release?!
Last edited by CmdrGumbo on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

CmdrGumbo wrote:
As for carrying "emergency cargo", I have the impression that this (dumping a few containers of crago to satisfy the agressors) works more often now than it did in the old 1.74 release?!
Yes, definitely. If a group of pirates demand 5 canisters, and you dump 5 canisters, they'll scoop up the cargo and leave you alone. Best practice when dumping cargo is to make sure you're flying below full speed, and oriented away from your destination; ideally, you want the pirates to go off in pursuit of the canisters in one direction, while you turn and hightail it away in another direction.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The energy bomb can be OXPed back if you want. The OXP is available from the in-game expansions manager. More info here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Energy_Bomb
CmdrGumbo
Competent
Competent

Post by CmdrGumbo »

another_commander wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:06 pm
The energy bomb can be OXPed back if you want. The OXP is available from the in-game expansions manager. More info here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Energy_Bomb
Yes, I read about that in the wiki section. It's nice that people may add it if they want to. I haven't yet installed it as I think a quirium cascade mine is much better suited to leave that sort of impression I have in mind ... *chuckles*