Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Some Bugs - Including Missiles

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Some Bugs - Including Missiles

Post by LittleBear »

I have the latest version installed. Couple of Bugs:-

1) NCP Missiles seem too powerfull. Allthough NCPS somtimes survive a missile, even with 7 engery banks, shield boosters and military shields I am instally killed from full shields by a single missile strike. In BBC micro elite you could survive a missile, but it would take you from full strength to energy low.

2) On the "press space or fire" screen, ships intermitantly zoom straight past, this seems to happen with both OXP and standard ships.

3) Not so much a bug, as a wish - On the Mac, a picture of the planet is shown on the System information screen. Any chance of including this with the next build?

4) I having been hanging out in Galaxy 5 for a while, but have yet to scoop the cloaking device.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Re: Some Bugs - Including Missiles

Post by aegidian »

LittleBear wrote:
1) NCP Missiles seem too powerfull. Allthough NCPS somtimes survive a missile, even with 7 engery banks, shield boosters and military shields I am instally killed from full shields by a single missile strike. In BBC micro elite you could survive a missile, but it would take you from full strength to energy low.
Check your OXPs - one of them contains the prototype of the ECM-hardened missile - which is several times more potent than the current missiles.
LittleBear wrote:
2) On the "press space or fire" screen, ships intermitantly zoom straight past, this seems to happen with both OXP and standard ships.
Yes, this is fixed in v1.65.
LittleBear wrote:
3) Not so much a bug, as a wish - On the Mac, a picture of the planet is shown on the System information screen. Any chance of including this with the next build?
Yes, this is implemented in v1.65.
LittleBear wrote:
4) I having been hanging out in Galaxy 5 for a while, but have yet to scoop the cloaking device.
Watch your Asps.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I have r457, is there a new version out as the bug is present in this one?
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

No release yet. You could build from source if you wan the bleedin' edge.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Do you know which OXP and what I should look for in the files?

I have all the OXPs installed so going through them all would take a while!
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

probably the Aegidian_special,
containing the custom Python-cruiser and the ECM-missile prototype.
(or was it the pretty Asp mkII?)

Anyhow, the missile was removed in the updated version that is currently on Oosat. (As a recalibrated missile is now standard in the Oolite-basic)
Riding the Rocket!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Thabks for that. I now seem to be able to survive one missile strike from full shields, but am still destroyed if at anything less than full shields.

I still think they are too powerful though, after all if a basic Cobra MK III could survive a single strike, then an Imperial Courier with Miltary Shields and booster should be blown away by a lucky missile strike before you can hit ECM.

On the cloaking device mission, I've been keeping my eye out for Asps whilst doing the Military mission, but I hardley ever see them either in space or in the shipyard. I have the ASPS.OXP installed (very nice by the way), is it known to conflict with spawning the cloaking device asp?

On the new 1.65 (PC) version, I really like the Custom Sounds and the game seems stable, but I have noticed a couple of odd bugs:-

Occasionally a ship becomes invunerable. Lasers just pass through it, although a Q mine or E bomb will still destroy it. I've notice this happen with Boyracers, tugs and Hyders, so I don't think its an OXP bug.

When you launch a missile the game freezes for a second or two.

The ships on the Press Space Commander screen still zoom past. I know this is cosmetic, but it is rather fun to have a look at all this ships and this didn't happen in the PC alpha version.

I have noticed that Police ships and Naval ships can ECM a hardened missile. Do they have a FFE style naval ECM. Any plans to make this available or as a mission reward.

Great update though. Thanks as always.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

LittleBear wrote:
On the cloaking device mission, I've been keeping my eye out for Asps whilst doing the Military mission, but I hardley ever see them either in space or in the shipyard. I have the ASPS.OXP installed (very nice by the way), is it known to conflict with spawning the cloaking device asp?
There should not be any conflicts, but make sure the you have the latest version of the asps.oxp (comes with the special HUDs). In some earlier versions I was just learning the ship.plist thingy and there could be bugs (I'd still be surprised to learn of conflicts, though).
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

There was some discussion on down-grading the ECM-invulnerable missile into the ECM-hardened missile or 'hardheads'.

This to make their behaviour more realistic.

Possibly the 'hit ECM multiple times and have a small chance of detonation' prototype has made it into manufacturing.
It would explain why your ECM-hardened missile was destroyed by NPC ECM.

You will have to read up on the details yourself, I've been a bit busy. Actually my deadline runs out tonight. :(

ps ships being invulnerable to laserfire is a well known bug, It is most commonly encountered with Asps and Thargoid invaders.
Riding the Rocket!