Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Always Offender... don't know why...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

iperich
Dangerous
Dangerous

Always Offender... don't know why...

Post by iperich »

I have a Vector Ship, In Galaxy 3, no cargo, and every time when I get out of a station I have "Offender" status, the cops shot at me, and I have to run...

I don't know why...!!

there's some way to know what's happening?
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk"
(Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez)
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Always Offender... don't know why...

Post by phkb »

Are you an offender when you are docked, or does it only happen after you launch? Does the change happen immediately, or does it take a few seconds? Also, are you using any OXP that might alter the ways bounties work, like the "Bounty System" OXP? In that instance, you might be clean at launch, but if you have a criminal record somewhere in the same sector, a warrant scan by the police might reveal your bounty in the current system.
iperich
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by iperich »

Is always like this:

1. I have "clean" status when I dock
2. I launch and I'm still clean
3. After a few seconds somebody yells at me something like "death to pirates!!", "You are breaking the cooperative laws" or something like that and somebody starts attacking me
4. I run
5. I go to another system
6. When I get there, I have "clean" status
7. Repeat

I will try going "far, far away" and see what happens. I have thw "Bounty System" OXP installed.
phkb

Post by phkb »

What you're describing sounds very much like a "Bounty System" OXP mechanic. You should also be seeing a "** Ship scan detected**" message just before things start going pear-shaped. After you dock at a GalCop-aligned station, go to the GalCop Security office interface screen and select "View any outstanding bounties". That should tell you what crimes you've committed and therefore why you're being targeted.
iperich
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by iperich »

Okay.... before I read your post I jumped to Galaxy 5.
I did what you said and I have a beautiful Outstanding Intergalactic Fine in Sector 4, 64 Cr in Onzaenve (G4).

Charge: Unspecified major offences, warranting use of lethal force.

3 days until payable

I don't know what the hell is Galcop talking about.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :x

I'm in other galaxy now, and if I set course to offence system, it takes me to Zaaner, but I'm about 381 hours from there... I guess I will go there anyway, but I don't know what will happen there. should I pay the fine or something worst???
phkb

Post by phkb »

Intergalactic fines are basically severity 3, and are usually killing another ship in sight of police vessels. [Edit]An "unspecified offense" generally means it wasn't clear what your crime was, but it's possible it came from another OXP giving you a bounty. Lots of possibilities here, I'm afraid.

"3 days until payable" relates to how much time has to pass after you committed the crime before you can actually pay the fine to remove the record. For severity 3 crimes you have to wait 60 days before you can pay it off. After the waiting period has passed, you can pay for crimes in the system where the crime was committed, or at the GalCop HQ location in each sector. In Gal 5, the location is at Bisoge.

Now that you have a criminal record, most bounty hunters and all police are likely to scan you with a "Warrant scanner", which does a GalCop criminal DB lookup to work out if you have any outstanding bounties. If it finds one, it adds the to the local system DB, and for the rest of your visit you will be labelled a offender/fugitive. Knowing you have a record, it would be wise to avoid police vessel contacts, as well as being on the lookout for "**Ship scan detected**". A warrant scan takes between 8 and 10 seconds to perform, and you have to be within 15km of the target (for bounty hunters, 20km for police), so if you can get out of range before the scan completes you can avoid having your criminal record follow you.

More details can be found on the [EliteWiki] wiki page