Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Imperial Courier Laser Firepower

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

TraderJoe
Above Average
Above Average

Imperial Courier Laser Firepower

Post by TraderJoe »

Hello.
After much trading and fun with my Cobra MkIII XT, I have recently upgraded to an Imperial Courier. Other users seem to love the ship and I can see why. The extra cargo space is awesome. Great shields and 8 energy banks are also great. Speed is pretty good. But one that seems to be weak is the laser firepower. I have military lasers fore and aft, but their power is not strong. (Even taking down the frequent Black Knave that comes up after hyper jump frequently, takes forever.) On the Cobra XT, I had multiple lasers which were great.
Questions:
Is it possible to have multiple lasers on the Imperial Courier?
Is there a more powerful laser configuration that I can buy to give me more chance in dogfights.

Thank you for your consideration.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Imperial Courier Laser Firepower

Post by Norby »

Please update your [wiki]Multiple Lasers[/wiki] package, this ship now hold 3 forward lasers. In addition, [wiki]Sniper Gun[/wiki] is also mountable (forward only).

Note multiple lasers mean multiple heat generation which mean shorter continuous fire, so in long term the total output is not multiple. Moreover in this ship the mount points are very far from each other (69m) so if you hit your target with one then probably miss with the other two which is a big waste.

If you allow to yourself to step over this heat rule then install [wiki]Separated Lasers[/wiki] package also. This contain "Triple" variants of most lasers which cool down as fast as single lasers if there is enough space between the mount points. Imperial Courier need this else multiple lasers are less effective than single lasers.

The strong [wiki]Sniper Gun[/wiki] need more space for separation than other lasers (at least 50m instead of 30m) but this ship is enough wide. Even the Heavy Sniper Gun could be separated as in Python SG, but the mass of Imperial Courier is not enough to hold the heavy variant.
TraderJoe
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Imperial Courier Laser Firepower

Post by TraderJoe »

Norby wrote:
Please update your [wiki]Multiple Lasers[/wiki] package, this ship now hold 3 forward lasers. In addition, [wiki]Sniper Gun[/wiki] is also mountable (forward only).

Note multiple lasers mean multiple heat generation which mean shorter continuous fire, so in long term the total output is not multiple. Moreover in this ship the mount points are very far from each other (69m) so if you hit your target with one then probably miss with the other two which is a big waste.

If you allow to yourself to step over this heat rule then install [wiki]Separated Lasers[/wiki] package also. This contain "Triple" variants of most lasers which cool down as fast as single lasers if there is enough space between the mount points. Imperial Courier need this else multiple lasers are less effective than single lasers.

The strong [wiki]Sniper Gun[/wiki] need more space for separation than other lasers (at least 50m instead of 30m) but this ship is enough wide. Even the Heavy Sniper Gun could be separated as in Python SG, but the mass of Imperial Courier is not enough to hold the heavy variant.

Thanks Norby - you are a legend.