Tweak to hide the Towbar

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

gt52
Average
Average

Tweak to hide the Towbar

Post by gt52 »

Hello new commander! Thanks to your clever searching you have come across a post helping you to hide the lovely towbar from view. I'll keep this brief:

1. find the oolite.app path and put an AddOns folder next to it.
2. find the GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns folder.
3. move the file oolite.oxp.Norby.Towbar.oxz from ManagedAddOns to AddOns.
4. unzip (with paths) that oxz into a folder named oolite.oxp.Norby.Towbar.oxp
5. change the Addons/oolite.oxp.Norby.Towbar.oxz file extension to something like .. .oxz.org
(or git the unzipped stuff, or get rid of the zip or whatever. just dont have a .oxz in AddOns)

6. Go into the unzipped Towbar's folder and open scripts/towbar.js in anything but notepad.
7. scroll down a few lines so you see the notes by $TowbarFixed or $TowbarShow.
8. change one of these thingies to '= false;'

(there's ways in which you can edit an .oxz directly without unzipping. if you do that, you'll still not want to do the edit in the ManagedAddOns path as those changes could be lost there. so you'd edit the .oxz in your AddOns folder after copying it to tweaked.towbar.oxz just keep the original somewhere)

my towbar customized property..

Code: Select all

this.$TowbarFixed = false; //true; //show towbar if no towed ship also, false works as retractable
this.$TowbarShow = true; //false change it to an invisible tractor beam

enjoy.. and may this slow-mo walkthrough have saved you some time.

added:

this will save you some needless priming, allowing you to use the thing with a shortcut whilst making you some money that would otherwise get taxxed away in case you actually want to drag the derelict somewhere rather than just blowing it up after getting the goodies:

Code: Select all

this.$TowbarMiner = 3; //1; //0:offline, 1:cargo only, 2:up to full, 3:salvager
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Tweak to hide the Towbar

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day gt52, and welcome aboard!

Might I humbly suggest that you add your tweak to the Tinkerer's Workshop thread, which is a compendium of useful tweaks, as well as a guide to tweaking in general?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Tweak to hide the Towbar

Post by Norby »

Welcome gt52!

Thanks for your suggestions, some are mentioned by others also so these will be the default in the next version of Towbar.