Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Here's an idea: The Deadliest Threat of all ;)

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

TheOldGamer
Competent
Competent

Here's an idea: The Deadliest Threat of all ;)

Post by TheOldGamer »

Hi folks!
I'm casting around, trying to find ideas to tinker with in the hopes of coming up with my own OXP sometime. It struck me suddenly that the Greatest, Deadliest, Most Implacable Threat the Universe has ever known would be tons of fun to experience within Oolite.

I am, of course, referring to this.

As a starter model, I think it could be easy enough; just a lengthened cone with a few imperfections - I doubt people would be particularly upset if every crater, ridge and groove wasn't perfectly recreated. Skinning...well, it's grey.
You probably couldn't recreate the planet-killing beam, but you could mount a mondo custom overpowered laser.

I'm going to try it. :) I'll need help figuring out how to get it into the game, but I'll start just by making the model - small steps.

Edit: I've downloaded Blender and I'm doing Staer9's tutorial now. I'll let you know how it goes. Assuming I actually manage to make a Planet Killer, that's when I'm going to be asking questions about putting it into the game.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Here's an idea: The Deadliest Threat of all ;)

Post by Smivs »

TheOldGamer wrote:
It struck me suddenly that the Greatest, Deadliest, Most Implacable Threat the Universe has ever known would be tons of fun to experience within Oolite
But Oolite already has the Greatest, Deadliest, Most Implacable Threat the Universe has ever known, surely?

:P

The ST-TOS planet killer is dead cool though - TBH I tinkered with doing one myself a while ago then got distracted. Good luck with it and shout if you need any help. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
TheOldGamer
Competent
Competent

Post by TheOldGamer »

Smivs wrote:
TheOldGamer wrote:
It struck me suddenly that the Greatest, Deadliest, Most Implacable Threat the Universe has ever known would be tons of fun to experience within Oolite
But Oolite already has the Greatest, Deadliest, Most Implacable Threat the Universe has ever known, surely?

:P

The ST-TOS planet killer is dead cool though - TBH I tinkered with doing one myself a while ago then got distracted. Good luck with it and shout if you need any help. :)
ROFL! Perhaps it can be destroyed by tossing antimatter trumbles into its maw?

Seriously, the reason I put it here is because by the time it's done I'm definitely going to need assistance in designing the scenario. Since there aren't many Constitution-class cruisers around, I kind of like the Nova Bomb from SFC. Perhaps one can be destroyed by having it swallow a Quirmium bomb?
In terms of scenario, I was thinking along the lines of the Stellar Serpent, though just as a basis: the thing would have to arrive way outside the core system, targeting the main planet. Can a planet be destroyed in this game? I highly doubt it - so maybe it could target the main station instead. It would need to be absolutely invulnerable to weapons, have some means of attacking player and NPC ships and be really, really hard to kill. (In SFC, the PKs were child's play; just get one to follow you and run into an immobilized cruiser.) But I'm getting ahead of myself; I've only ever built one object in G-max and that was a lump of ice. :D
I'm figuring out how to use Blender (well...taking a break; the Navy's just asked me to look for a ship called a Constrictor...) and as soon as I've got something, I'll put it up. :)
Cheers! And thanks for the positive thoughts. :)
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

TheOldGamer wrote:
Can a planet be destroyed in this game?...
One of the core missions does that (...or at least I think it does :? )
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<nods> It does...

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
TheOldGamer
Competent
Competent

Post by TheOldGamer »

:shock:
Yikes - that's moderately terrifying.

I certainly haven't gotten that far; is the planet's destruction due to some kind of weapons fire, or is it a unique effect coded into the game? And if either, could it be used as a Planetkiller effect?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

It is a sun and all planets killer effect. I do not see similar for planets.
TheOldGamer
Competent
Competent

Post by TheOldGamer »

Norby wrote:
It is a sun and all planets killer effect. I do not see similar for planets.
Gotcha; thank you. :)
OK, still just working on the model - I'm certain Blender is as simple as it can possibly be but man! Click...click...click...it's supposed to do...click...AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!! :roll:
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

Ya think that's bad? In the Star Trek: New Voyages fan series, one of their early episodes, In Harm's Way, revisited the Doomsday Machine and gave it an extra property: the heritable ability to make a copy of itself. Now that was scary.
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.