Military Injectors

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Hullblazer
Competent
Competent

Military Injectors

Post by Hullblazer »

Just a quick query - I've installed Military Injectors into my starting Cobra III and whilst wiki info suggests an increased top-end speed and range, I don't believe I'm seeing either.

What do the improvements apply to? Am I missing/not seeing a small decrease in fuel use?
You can't help growing old. You can help growing up... "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Military Injectors

Post by Norby »

Hullblazer wrote:
wiki info suggests an increased top-end speed
The [wiki]Military_Fuel_Injectors_OXP[/wiki] page does not say this, just the OXP list said but I fixed it now, thanks. Based on the js script this give back some fuel only: 0.1ly at every 8. second of injector usage.
Hullblazer
Competent
Competent

Post by Hullblazer »

Norby wrote:
Hullblazer wrote:
The [wiki]Military_Fuel_Injectors_OXP[/wiki] page does not say this, just the OXP list said but I fixed it now, thanks. Based on the js script this give back some fuel only: 0.1ly at every 8. second of injector usage.
That makes sense, thank you. Much happier now I understand, at that rate it seems realistic and worth the cost over the long term gain.
You can't help growing old. You can help growing up... "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hullblazer wrote:
There was a time when it did.. but there were some unexpected side-effects which caused some strange ship behaviours in use, so the velocity boost was removed. You can read about it here, if you're interested.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

You can see the fuel bar go up a little at times, watching carefully. (Of course you don't gain any fuel still.)
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Anonymissimus wrote:
You can see the fuel bar go up a little at times, watching carefully. (Of course you don't gain any fuel still.)
That's the only way it could simulate being slightly more fuel-efficient than regular injectors.. the handwavium is that unburnt fuel gets recovered and returned to the tanks.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:
That's the only way it could simulate being slightly more fuel-efficient than regular injectors.. the handwavium is that unburnt fuel gets recovered and returned to the tanks.
Now that ship.injectorBurnRate and ship.injectorSpeedFactor are available it might be worth rewriting it. This OXP was one of the ones I had in mind when making various ship properties writable for 1.82
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Ah.
So military injectors are back on the menu. I had some of they 'funny' little unexpected effects with the earlier model.
Nice to hear, I'll be looking out for them.
Thank you :D
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!