Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Installer based on svn rev 457 now available

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Installer based on svn rev 457 now available

Post by dajt »

Hi,

Not many changes here, but I've been working on fixing the fullscreen/windowed thing and figured that was worth a new snapshot installer.

I wouldn't drag the window to resize it, but switching between windowed and fullscreen mode works pretty well here.

The major changes:

Switching between windowed and fullscreen mode should work better. There are still some minor texture problems but you can keep playing and they'll mostly sort themselves out after the next witchjump.

New versions of gnustep-base (1.12.0) and SDL (1.2.9). Debugging info stripped from some other DLLs to make them smaller. The sound delay problem reported by Ponder should be gone.

XML support in gnustep-base. At some point since the port was started libxml2 got modified so it could be compiled in a mingw environment. This means the gnustep-base DLL can now be compiled with XML support enabled, so it has been. You will start getting warnings in stderr.txt complaining about DTDs not being found - ignore them, they are harmless.
Regards,
David Taylor.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

For the latest Linux builds, I've 'doctored' the package GNUstep base to not put out that error message any more (setting validate to NO). I really ought to put the doctored source on the ftp site in the dependencies directory. (I would assume it's reasonably straightforward to build just GNUstep Make and Base from source on Windows).
Ponder
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Installer based on svn rev 457 now available

Post by Ponder »

dajt wrote:
New versions of gnustep-base (1.12.0) and SDL (1.2.9). Debugging info stripped from some other DLLs to make them smaller. The sound delay problem reported by Ponder should be gone.
<best Zen voice> Confirmed </Zen> :)
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Excellent! The shipyard works for me in this version as well. Whatever caused the conflict in the previous installer version, is gone now!

:D
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Thanks Dajt

I notice that it's down to 18.6mb from 22mb.

Since I know nothing, I trust you wizards implicitly, but it does seem a big difference?
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Could be removal of some texture files coupled with the alterations to the GNUstep files.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

TGHC wrote:
Thanks Dajt

I notice that it's down to 18.6mb from 22mb.
The large slimming down of the package is because some dependencies have been swept away (such as the 3.5MB gnustep gui/back library, since we no longer need GNUstep GUI at all) and dajt said he also stripped the DLLs ('strip' removes symbols from an executable that are not needed at run-time).
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

As winston said, it is due to the removal of more of GNUstep and the stripping of the DLLs.

I also noticed some version control directories were being included with the resources, so they're gone too.
Regards,
David Taylor.
Zorath
Average
Average

Post by Zorath »

Seems to work great :) can resize windowed version too :) very handy :)

just one question does the windows version have External view ? and also I thought cargo dumping had some way of selecting what is dumped..

I'm still amazed how well the port works :)
chrish
Poor
Poor

Post by chrish »

Works fine for me too , after first heading to options screen (F2) and selecting fullscreen mode .
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

A couple of issues with this install that i have found are, the fact that the ships on the screen zoom past etc which has already been mentioned. I thought i'd try out my WIP planet pictures screens OXP, which utilises both images and models; on this install (457) the images and models are not displayed for some reason, just doesnt seem to display them, but reads the rest of the plists. I test my oxps on 308 which i have found to be most stable in relation to the images and models, and alls fine with the oxp.. jst for info.
ps. its really cool to have the ship displayed in F5 screen, are we able to incorporate this into another plist such as shipdata etc to makeit rotate?
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

The only two scenes you can set at present are the status page and the local system info page (I have mine showing the local planet - that is very bleeding edge code in this build).

I was also thinking of displaying images in the equipment list, but assume Giles is working away on those things.

I don't know how to make the ship rotate. The planet does, but I've not looked at the differences between the two pieces of code.
Regards,
David Taylor.
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

In build 308 i can use my OXP to place Model and images in the mission screen, which i cant on the new build, ive svn up and run make to incorporate the new code but even this will not show Models on mission screen. Just wondering, is it because of the changes to gnustep that this is occuring? If its something that will be fixed later then i will continue to build my oxp, but if this option is no longer open on new builds then my oxp wont work 'n i'll have to find a new way of doing this at a later date?
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

I don't think this is due to the GNUstep changes. GNUstep ins't involved in any drawing on the Linux/Windows ports - it's all SDL/OpenGL.
Regards,
David Taylor.
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

Zorath wrote:
just one question does the windows version have External view ? and also I thought cargo dumping had some way of selecting what is dumped..
Try 'R' (shift-r) for rotating the cargo to be dumped. I remember trying this a while ago when I saw the feature in the code...

None of the versions has an external view as far as I know. I've just added it to my source tree. I did it by allowing the specification of view_position_external in shipdata.plist. You switch it on with a keystroke, and now I have to add keystrokes to allow the camera to zoom and rotate around the ship.

It doesn't seem to add anything to the gameplay, except to allow you to see your ship's custom paint job and perhaps make for some good screenshots as you keep station with other ships...
Regards,
David Taylor.