Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Solar Trips

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lupin Thief
Average
Average

Solar Trips

Post by Lupin Thief »

First off, I'd just like to say thankyou to everyone involved for such a great game :D

I used to play the original Elite on an Amstrad CPC6128, and managed to reach Dangerous, although that was with a little cheating, as I had about a 1% chance of manually docking successfully. Thankfully, with Oolite I find docking to be much easier, (aside from occasionally managing to fly into the docking port, and out the other side of the space station :D )

This could well be my fuzzy memory, but on the original version of Elite, during trips to the sun to refuel, I'd always end up bumping into some ship or another, either doing the same thing, or damned pirates. With Oolite, I can always jump straight to the sun unhindered.

Aplogies in advance, if this has already been pointed out / noted / or is by design.. :D
Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore Is not in this bit.
Flying_Circus
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Flying_Circus »

Depends where you jump from. There's a space-lane from the station to the sun, just as there's a lane from the witchpoint beacon to the station. Jump from anywhere else, and your chances of meeting another ship are much lower.
And so I gave myself to God. There was a pregnant pause before He said "OK"
Lupin Thief
Average
Average

Post by Lupin Thief »

Ah, didnt think of it like that.

The only times I go to the sun to refuel, is when I am taking a passenger somewhere, and the sun seems closer than the planet, and I've nothing to buy/sell for a good price...

I jump from the witchpoint bouy to the sun.
Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore Is not in this bit.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Come to think of it, others ought to be using the same logic for refuelling, so there ought to be a sparesly-populated witchpoint->sun lane.
oO
Competent
Competent

Post by oO »

Ahruman wrote:
Come to think of it, others ought to be using the same logic for refuelling, so there ought to be a sparesly-populated witchpoint->sun lane.
Actually, anybody who is near to a station doesn't needs to go to the sun to refuel (fuel prices in Oolite are very cheap).

It makes much more sense to populate witchpoint->sun zone IMHO.