Oolite arcade

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

dan3008
Average
Average

Oolite arcade

Post by dan3008 »

Just wondering what people would think to an oolite arcade cab?

Its something I'm working on at the moment for my living room. But ideally, I'd want to password protect save files (more code hacking for me...)

Just wanted to share and get peoples opinions...
attacked, defended myself, now i'm the fugitive. How was i supposed to know that other ship was a galcop...
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite arcade

Post by CommRLock78 »

Cool idea, I think... That'd be fun to have in the living room :)
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
dan3008
Average
Average

Post by dan3008 »

Thing is, I have a spare KADE to hand, along with a broken laptop (the hinge went) so all I need to do, is wire up the controls and make a case for the whole thing :D
attacked, defended myself, now i'm the fugitive. How was i supposed to know that other ship was a galcop...
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

dan3008 wrote:

Thing is, I have a spare KADE to hand, along with a broken laptop (the hinge went) so all I need to do, is wire up the controls and make a case for the whole thing :D
Shit, I'm impressed if you have the skills to do that... not sure I'd be confident doing something that intense. :)
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
dan3008
Average
Average

Post by dan3008 »

CommRLock78 wrote:
Shit, I'm impressed if you have the skills to do that... not sure I'd be confident doing something that intense. :)
haha thanks, my granddad was an electrician, and my dad a computer mechanic. And I've worked in IT support and maintenance, its really just what I've been trained to do all my life. Its actually not that big a job if you put your mind to it...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Only possible downside I can see is that you might be on your feet for a looooong time if you get into a good session.. :lol: :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Only possible downside I can see is that you might be on your feet for a looooong time if you get into a good session.. :lol: :wink:
That sounds like a recipe for making the wife mad :P.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Good point, Oolite is not the arcade kind of game in which you only spend 10 minutes at a time. It could be a bit boring standing in front of a cabinet waiting to arrive at main station when there is a lot of traffic :wink:
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

maik wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Good point, Oolite is not the arcade kind of game in which you only spend 10 minutes at a time. It could be a bit boring standing in front of a cabinet waiting to arrive at main station when there is a lot of traffic :wink:
Maybe a sit-in cabinet would be good? Then you could include surround sound.

Here's the Star Wars one from my youth....:

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

...or just get a bar stool :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

JazHaz wrote:
maik wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Maybe a sit-in cabinet would be good? Then you could include surround sound.

Here's the Star Wars one from my youth....:

Now we're talking--that and the Oculus Rift
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Smivs wrote:
That would be too easy - of course, it wouldn't be good for setting the mood :P.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I dunno, customising one to look in keeping with the bridge of a Cobbie3 could be a fun project in itself...
dan3008
Average
Average

Post by dan3008 »

Smivs wrote:
Thats the idea. Well, actually, its going to be placed on/built into the coffee table, so its just the right height for sitting on the sofa (couch for my American friends)
Diziet Sma wrote:
Indeed, thats why I'm having it for sat down
Thargoid wrote:
I dunno, customising one to look in keeping with the bridge of a Cobbie3 could be a fun project in itself...
I intend to. Ok, not a big one like that, but the control panel is going to be exactly as I imagine a spaceship control panel :D
CommRLock78 wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
That sounds like a recipe for making the wife mad :P.
Na, Shes out at work all day, while I look after the baby, so I'll just get my good few hours in between feeds ;) That and she'll play it more than me ll
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

dan3008 wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Thats the idea. Well, actually, its going to be placed on/built into the coffee table, so its just the right height for sitting on the sofa (couch for my American friends)
Sounds like you're one step ahead of us :) - (LOL about the 'sofa' - actually, it's the 'settee' that took me a while to get ;))
dan3008 wrote:
Na, Shes out at work all day, while I look after the baby, so I'll just get my good few hours in between feeds ;) That and she'll play it more than me ll
Ah a little one... looking forward to that again in a lot of ways - always a blessing :mrgreen:. Good to hear you'll both have time to enjoy it :).