Report on the first "whenever" Aussie Oolite get-together

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Report on the first "whenever" Aussie Oolite get-together

Post by Diziet Sma »

In what was truly a momentous and historic occasion, today, two Australian Oolite fans actually managed to meet face-to-face for the first time in recorded history. Brits, Americans, and EU denizens who've never been here, will have no real understanding of what a difficult feat this really is. In a land so vast and un(der)-populated that any place less than 100km away is regarded as "just around the corner", where distance is measured in how many bottles of beer you can drink on the journey, and where most Oolite fans are separated by anywhere from several hundred to several thousand kilometres, the logistics involved in arranging such a meeting are truly mind-boggling.

Thus it was with considerable excitement that two Oolite fans recently discovered that not only did they live in the same city (which is over 125km across), but that they actually both lived on the eastern side of said city. Practically a stone's throw away, by local standards.

And so, it was arranged that both should meet this very evening, in the heart of the city CBD, in a pub called the Melbourne Central Lion. A very nice place, I'd like to add, with lots of dark timber furnishings, and muted lighting. Spacious enough that the tables are well spaced out, such that even had there been many more customers than were present on this Monday night, it would not have felt crowded. The beer was cold, the food was hot, and both were of good quality, albeit somewhat on the pricy side. But still, for a popular inner-city pub, to be expected, I suppose.

And so it was that Neelix and myself came to meet, in order that he could show me Oolite running on a real live Pandora console, and that we could discuss all things Oolite. All told, we had three and a half laughter-filled hours, in which Oolite, and future OXP projects featured heavily, as well as sharing information about our backgrounds, particularly in regards to computers and IT.

As it turned out we would both be travelling on the same train-line home, the conversation even managed to continue for another 40 minutes or so, until I reached my station.

Neelix is a great bloke, and I had a very enjoyable time. Thanks for helping make it possible, mate, and I hope we can do it again soon.

The only memento of the occasion, is this pic I took of Oolite running on Neelix's Pandora. Until I saw it for myself, I had no real idea of just how small these devices are. All the pictures on the 'net don't include anything that conveys a sense of scale. My hands are somewhat on the small side, and Neelix's are really not much bigger than mine, so this photo will give you some idea of what a tiny gaming console the Pandora really is.. that screen is only 4 inches (100mm) on the diagonal.

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Report on the first "whenever" Aussie Oolite get-togethe

Post by spud42 »

Sounds like a good night out, pity im 1450 ish Km away "as the crow flies"

I am going to be in Sydney between the 28-7-2104 and 1-8-2014, do we have any Oolite fans in syd? Alternatively are there any players in Brisbane?

$28 for a Tbone steak sounds allright.. i have paid more for a rump steak that was not very good... lol
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spud42 wrote:
$28 for a Tbone steak sounds allright.. i have paid more for a rump steak that was not very good... lol
Yeah, but you're in Brisbane, where the cost of living is outrageous.. e.g. - $20-25 for a large "gourmet" pizza that in Melbourne can be had (in a restaurant, at that - not just takeaway) for around $6. :wink: :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Nice one, chaps :)
Having met up with a few Commanders on a couple of occassions here in Blighty, I can highly recommend this form of interaction. Oolite does seem to attract the nicest people.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

It was a really good night, and definitely something we'll have to do again. :-)

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
spud42 wrote:
Yeah, but you're in Brisbane, where the cost of living is outrageous.. e.g. - $20-25 for a large "gourmet" pizza that in Melbourne can be had (in a restaurant, at that - not just takeaway) for around $6. :wink: :mrgreen:
well that is outrageous and something i wouldnt pay for... the rump was from The Breakfast Creek Hotel.... supposedly famous for its steaks....

Sydneys no better paid around $30 for a steak last time i was down there on training..... was a good steak though... lol

Pity that the training and all the rest has been moved to Eastern Creek. way out west!! gonna cost me over $100 for a taxi to the hotel.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

spud42 wrote:
Sydneys no better paid around $30 for a steak last time i was down there on training..... was a good steak though... lol
Steak and beer not bad here ;
http://rocksbrewing.com/rocksbrewing/Our-Beers

Close to Mascot airport.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

that was a place just off the Corso at Manly beach side.... head office used to be at Frenches Forrest but they moved everything to Eastern Creek...

bit of a change from Manly novatel to Rooty Hill Novatel.... lol
OR i could go with
or simply
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Well I may be in Sydney around Christmas this year - Many sounds like a good option for lunch (will need to get wife approval first :-) )

Failing that, Sandrino's in Fremantle (Perth, Western Australia) is a great place for beer and pizza. mmm...Peroni...
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

submersible wrote:
Steak and beer not bad here ;
http://rocksbrewing.com/rocksbrewing/Our-Beers

Close to Mascot airport.
Bugbear wrote:
Well I may be in Sydney around Christmas this year - Many sounds like a good option for lunch (will need to get wife approval first :-) )

Failing that, Sandrino's in Fremantle (Perth, Western Australia) is a great place for beer and pizza. mmm...Peroni...
So you both are located here Downunder as well? Cool!
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Diziet Sma wrote:
So you both are located here Downunder as well? Cool!
Well to clarify, I live in Perth but I grew up in Sydney (still have family and friends on the East Coast, or "over east" as they say on this side of the Nullabor...
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Well, SteveKing is over your way.. (so's Wildeblood, though he doesn't come by here any more) perhaps you guys could form the WA chapter of the Oolite Fan Club.. :wink:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Smivs wrote:
Nice one, chaps :)
Having met up with a few Commanders on a couple of occassions here in Blighty, I can highly recommend this form of interaction. Oolite does seem to attract the nicest people.
I whole heartedly concur. :D
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Well, SteveKing is over your way.. (so's Wildeblood, though he doesn't come by here any more) perhaps you guys could form the WA chapter of the Oolite Fan Club.. :wink:
It's too bad about Wildeblood - I think anyone that stops coming by is a loss to the community.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Bugbear wrote:

Manly's not quite what it used to be but still not bad. take the ferry from Circular Quay ( cold chisel reference) its a nice trip on the harbour... plenty of places both on the harbour side and the ocean side . . . will miss not being there for training visits... im being put up at the Rooty Hill Novatel...
OR i could go with
or simply