Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Very dedicated police...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Very dedicated police...

Post by phkb »

Saw this situation soon after installing 1.80. I was on my way into the station from the witchpoint marker. Came across an Adder, flagged as an offender. I waited to see if they were hostile, but instead they put out a call for help. Into view flew a formation of GalCop Vipers, who were firing on the Adder. After a moment or two the Adder hyperspaced out. But then, all four Vipers followed the Adder into the wormhole in pursuit! Very dedicated police if you ask me...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Very dedicated police...

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yep.. the AI in 1.80 has seen some huge improvements.. :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

I saw the police attacking a Cobra Carrier right in the ageis of a corporate state station... No idea why. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing I'd see as a pirate attack. Could some kind of accident have triggered the furball?
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
metatheurgist
Competent
Competent

Post by metatheurgist »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Yep.. the AI in 1.80 has seen some huge improvements.. :D
I thought according to game lore Vipers didn't have hyperdrives. If that's the case then it doesn't seem like a smart move. I'm imagining a squad of Vipers hanging around the station asking strangers if they're headed for home. :lol:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

mossfoot wrote:
I saw the police attacking a Cobra Carrier right in the ageis of a corporate state station... No idea why. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing I'd see as a pirate attack. Could some kind of accident have triggered the furball?
There are various ways a ship might accidentally acquire offender status.. wait 'til you see a bunch of cops having a brawl, because one or two of 'em accidentally became offenders. :twisted:

I actually had to remove my copy of 249th Naval Reserve Wing OXP.. they have a bad habit of somehow acquiring offender status, and between them and the improved Galcop patrols in 1.80, there were far too many patrols policing the system. As a result, there was almost always a fight going on in the Aegis, between Galcop and the 249th.
metatheurgist wrote:
I thought according to game lore Vipers didn't have hyperdrives. If that's the case then it doesn't seem like a smart move. I'm imagining a squad of Vipers hanging around the station asking strangers if they're headed for home. :lol:
You're correct.. only the Viper Interceptors have hyperdrives. Now that it's been released, I figure that one of Norby's Viper Carriers brings the regular Vipers home again. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
You're correct.. only the Viper Interceptors have hyperdrives.
Do they? I've yet to see one use it if they have - and I've yet to see any Vipers diving into an NPC's wormhole.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cody wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Do they? I've yet to see one use it if they have - and I've yet to see any Vipers diving into an NPC's wormhole.
Heh.. I'm fairly sure I saw cim say something to that effect..
Cody

Post by Cody »

Hmm... perhaps I missed that. If a shipdata.plist doesn't specify hyperspace_motor = no; is the default yes?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yup.
hyperspace_motor

If set to false / NO, it will stop ships from executing normal hyperspace jump (player ships will still be able to execute galactic jumps). Default = true / YES.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Oh well, I obviously need to pay more attention... or perhaps I simply forget stuff these days? Hmm... nurse, who am I?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Cody wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Heh.. I'm fairly sure I saw cim say something to that effect..
The Interceptors have hyperdrives but won't use them in the roles the core game gives them. The normal ones shouldn't in general follow ships through wormholes but might in particular circumstances.