A real blast from the past

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

A real blast from the past

Post by Diziet Sma »

This evening I was following links from some old OoliteBB postings, seeing where they went. Naturally, most of them were dead, and the sites long gone. Fortunately, that's what the Internet Archive Wayback Machine was built for. I find it so handy that for a long time I've had it available as one of my browser search engine options..

I'd used the Wayback Machine to check out an old defunct Frontier First Encounters site, and there I found a link to Dylan Smith's old alioth.net site, before it morphed into the Wiki we all know and love today.

Old articles, fanfic, you name it, it's all there.. and the best thing is, even many of the downloads still work. Most people don't realise it, but the Wayback Machine often archives files as well as webpages. In the past, I've been able to locate old software and drivers that have totally disappeared from the active web.

So here it is.. enjoy!
http://web-beta.archive.org/web/2012053 ... index.html
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: A real blast from the past

Post by Cody »

<nods> The Internet Archive itself is an awesome resource!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!