Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Open Pandora Oolite

Information, contacts and source code for ports to Linux, Windows, etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Open Pandora Oolite

Post by milinks »

Having spent a few years working alongside sooo many ppl making this the BEST version of space trading available, due to health i've not been able to do more than pop in and see how things are going, not sure if anyone would be interested, but hopefully Oolite could be coming to the Open Pandora console soon :) a handheld console with gaming controls for oolite would be fantastic. Anyway, if you've got an Open Pandora console, it may be worth popping over to their forums and seeing how its going

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/162 ... n-pandora/
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Open Pandora Oolite

Post by Diziet Sma »

Heh.. I can see why ptitSeb's last post has you excited! Will keep my eyes crossed for you!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Here is OOLITE on the open pandora open source console for those who are interested...

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16206-oolite/

All thanks go to ptitSeb for this port! Hopefully it will open up a whole new group interested in exploring this fantastic game :)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Congrats on the new port. I hadn't heard of Open Pandora before today! Looks like a nice machine.
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

I was wondering if anyone can help with the Pandora port, the version is 1.77.1, without any OXPs using the external views there are no exhaust plumes, and in general it seems a little darker than oolite PC/MAC, is this anything to do with shaders etc? I'm hoping that someone could let me know where to suggest looking with this port to bring it into line, many thanks in advance, milinks
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Firstly, congratulations to everyone involved in the port!
milinks wrote:
I was wondering if anyone can help with the Pandora port, the version is 1.77.1, without any OXPs using the external views there are no exhaust plumes,
Are there exhaust plumes in non-external views, then? (Aft view on your own ship, or following someone else?)

If so, I have no idea: it shouldn't make any difference which camera you use.

If not, but lasers and suns do work, then I would guess an issue with support for GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP in whatever OpenGL library/driver is in use. It might be possible to modify OOExhaustPlumeEntity to work around the problem, in that case.

Is it practical to get a Latest.log off the Pandora? The first few lines of that sometimes have some useful debugging info for graphics problems.
milinks wrote:
and in general it seems a little darker than oolite PC/MAC
Does changing the gamma correction setting in Game Options help with this? If so, that's the easy solution. If not I can't think of any obvious reason why it would be different there.
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Theres no plumes in any views either external or otherwise, ill throw your suggestion up in the board, and ill have a look at the log produced by the pandora, thanks for the quick reply :)
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

The reason apparently for the lack of shaders working is that the port is using GLES1 and not GLES2, which to a more enlightened soul than myself means a lot of the "extra" features on the new oolite are not working. I'm not sure if there is a workaround for that, but if anyone knows of a way to get shaders working using GLES1 please let me know. Another VERY cool thing which i didn't know was on oolite (having spent the last couple of years battling illness :( ) was the voice/speech,WOW!! That is SO COOL!! I saw it on a video posted here

http://www.lgdb.org/game/oolite

Is this something that could be incorporated into the Pandora port using GLES1, the person making the port does not know the game itself, but is working the port brilliantly, is it something that would be out of the reach of the Pandora, porting with GLES1? I'd be really interested in any replies please :)
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

JazHaz wrote:
Congrats on the new port. I hadn't heard of Open Pandora before today! Looks like a nice machine.
if you think that is nice then the new replacement under development is even better. read about the Pyra....
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

milinks wrote:
The reason apparently for the lack of shaders working is that the port is using GLES1 and not GLES2, which to a more enlightened soul than myself means a lot of the "extra" features on the new oolite are not working. I'm not sure if there is a workaround for that, but if anyone knows of a way to get shaders working using GLES1 please let me know.
Basically, no workaround is possible, sorry.

GLES1.x is based on the OpenGL1.5 standard, and GLES2.x is based on the shader-capable OpenGL2.0 standard. In other words, GLES1 cannot handle shader graphics at all. As ptitSeb said, it would require a port of GLES2 to get shaders working.

On the bright side, the Pandora's PowerVR SGX530 graphics chip does support pixel, vertex and geometry shaders, and is GLES2 compatible. So once someone ports the code, it should work, even though some tweaking of the Oolite code may still be necessary.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Additionally, since it;s only being able to do GL 2 or GL 1 and not both at once ... even if you did use GLES 2, you'd then need to tweak a lot of the stuff which currently only uses GL 1 methods (planets, suns, lasers, exhausts, explosions, flashers, the starfield background, etc.) so that it also had a shader-using generation method.

(If someone was to do that work - planets is already underway, of course - that's the sort of patch which we'd probably be very happy to accept back into the core code, though)

GL1.5 should be more than sufficient for all non-optional non-OXP content, though.
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Thanks so much for the reply guys! I'm just so pleased that Oolite has mangaed to be ported over to The pandora at all, i think Ptitseb has worked wonders with the issues surround GLES1 and GLES2. As far as i can see it works perfectly out the box, and there is only minimal issues regarding the GLES issues, certainly liveable :) thanks again for your response guys.
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

I've spent quite a while looking through all the OXPs that I want to recommend to the Pandora Community with the oolite port. They are finding them out by themselves obviously also. My concern is due to the memory constraints of the Pandora, that throwing too many "heavy memory" OXPs will just cause it to choke. I appreciate their are many threads along the lines of "whats the best OXP to have", but i'm asking what do you think the best "low(ish) memory usage" OXPs. Not just eye candy, but activities, ships, missions too. I've seen on a video what I believe to be an OXP, which incorporates the Jump route chart of the galaxies on the Planet List section of the wiki, I am imagining that or is it part of an OXP? I would appreciate any brief thoughts you may have that I could put on the Pandora boards. I'm also putting together a How-to for the Pandora Oolite, and wish to incorporate things on from the wiki, and also the oolite boards, should I ask for permission for individual works, as I don't want to annoy anyone with any plagiarism , obviously I was respect the respective owners works etc.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

If you mean what I think you mean, it's part of the core trunk game (it's the Advanced Navigational Array).

By default, once purchased you can access it via shift-6 ("^") when on the map screen, and it'll show you a variety of route options to wherever you have selected from wherever you currently are if ctrl is also added.

Some more details etc are [EliteWiki] on the wiki.
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Thanks thargoid! :) that's exactly the one I was thinking of, many thanks!