Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Soundpack project...

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Would you be interested in a sound replacement pack with the original Amiga Elite sounds and music?

Sure I'll take what you got...
90%
Nah, I'm staying out of this one... and so should you
10%

Total votes: 10

Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Erm. I explained myself not clearly. (non-english speaker)

I meant I'd rather have the original theme being retained, since it is part of Oolite's character.

I'd even go as far and state I'd feel quite uneasy if it read Mr. Micro, somehow that feels 'wrong' to the whole Oolite opens source thing, the Amiga samples might even be somewhat illegal (prolly not, since it is long out of circulation, but still...)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I really like NoSleeps intro as well, and want it kept. it's going to be part of the Oolite legend in years to come. I don't mind different sounds during gameplay, having not heard the Amiga ones , can't really comment, but with the enthusiasm and skills of the developers on this BBS, I can forsee a whole new generation of sounds being added that will take the audio experience to a level that matches the leap forward in graphics and gameplay that Oolite has achieved.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

TGHC wrote:
I really like NoSleeps intro as well, and want it kept. it's going to be part of the Oolite legend in years to come..
Heh, yes.

Also worth noting is that NoSleep was one of the very first people that tested and otherwise cooperated (by supplying the music) on the Oolite project, and as such I feel it is really part of Oolite. I have no problems with the sound in-game, whatsoever, I use some of them too, so there you go...

I mean... IMO, The theme music has become an all-but inseparatable part of the Oolite identity, you could compare its 'aura' with that of the logo, (less so, of course, but still... ) Nobody would change that, either.
EAGLE 5
Competent
Competent

Post by EAGLE 5 »

Um guys the whole point to my soundpack was to recreate the Amiga experience (if only in audio only). I made a pack that comes as close to the original as possible given the current constraints, and that includes the theme change because that's how it was in the 68000.

Don't get me wrong I like No Sleep's theme, I think it's quite catchy and in the long run i'll probably reinstate it on my HD over the blue danube and keep Strauss only as a docking music (though to be brutally honest I skip both intro and docking sequence for being long and cutting into my game time) :)

Anyways.... I wanted to make an alternative experience to the Oolite gameplay according to what I felt I liked the best and for me it's the Amiga. Of course you're all free to choose to download the pack or not and even to just take some sounds and leave others. That's the beauty of Oolite. As far as possible copyright infringements I don't think I have committed any with this because I give Mr. Micro credit for their work, regardless whether or not they still exist, and because I'm not in the business of making money off this thing since it was just for fun.

That said I like to thank those of you who enjoyed my work and took the time to express it, while at the same time those who didn't try it are free to give it a shot or not... but just remember not to knock something until you try it though :)
Cmdr. EAGLE 5
Hero for Hire
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

EAGLE 5 wrote:
but just remember not to knock something until you try it though :)
Hey no one's knocking, far from it! As far as I'm concerned the more contributions the better, different strokes for different folks. Keep it up.
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

EAGLE 5 wrote:
but just remember not to knock something until you try it though :)
Hey no one's knocking, far from it! As far as I'm concerned the more contributions the better, different strokes for different folks. Keep it up.
TedJ
Deadly
Deadly

Post by TedJ »

TGHC wrote:
TGHC wrote:
Whoah... deja vu. :D
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Ah, oh. :lol: But just so you know: that was exactly my reaction too!
Frantic
Competent
Competent

Post by Frantic »

I've been modding the Amiga sounds. Longer breakpattern.ogg, snipping silence from the start of the beeps etc, but I still find that the sounds play after a short delay in-game.

I have a 192kbps mp3 of blue danube, 11 mins long, performed by the "Vienna Opera Orchestra", conducted by Carl Michalski. Never heard of them, but I converted it to ogg and whacked it in. Sure sounds nice, but I have retained the Oolite theme.
EAGLE 5
Competent
Competent

Post by EAGLE 5 »

I had already trimmed silences from the start. I think the delay might be system related but i'm not sure. Seems that the Mac users are affected the most by this. On my end (which is a PC AMD 2500+ with 768 megs of ram and Geforce FX5700 everything works flawlessly)...

I really don't know why this happens on a Mac... :(
Cmdr. EAGLE 5
Hero for Hire
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Rxke wrote:
I'd even go as far and state I'd feel quite uneasy if it read Mr. Micro, somehow that feels 'wrong' to the whole Oolite opens source thing, the Amiga samples might even be somewhat illegal (prolly not, since it is long out of circulation, but still...)
Circulation has nothing to do with it. Copyright persists, in most countries, until 70 years after the creator’s death (or 70 years from first publication if the copyright is held by a corporate entity). (Caveat IANALeus.)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Ahruman wrote:
Circulation has nothing to do with it. Copyright persists, in most countries, until 70 years after the creator’s death (or 70 years from first publication if the copyright is held by a corporate entity). (Caveat IANALeus.)
Theoretically not, but practically, some software companies put their stuff available for free after death of a platform/activites of said company on specific platform etc.
I don't know what the situation is w/ AmigaElite
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

It's available from Ian Bell, but I'm not sure he's got permission (or if he needs it) from Mr. Micro.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Rxke wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
Theoretically not, but practically, some software companies put their stuff available for free after death of a platform/activites of said company on specific platform etc.
I don't know what the situation is w/ AmigaElite
You can’t assume that to be the case unless you’ve got it in writing. In the case of Elite, with people not talking to each other and the music probably being written by a third party under informal forms, stuff gets complicated quickly.