Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Soundpack project...

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Would you be interested in a sound replacement pack with the original Amiga Elite sounds and music?

Sure I'll take what you got...
90%
Nah, I'm staying out of this one... and so should you
10%

Total votes: 10

EAGLE 5
Competent
Competent

Soundpack project...

Post by EAGLE 5 »

Hello fellow Ooliters, I've always liked the sounds from the Amiga Elite so here's my question for you.
Cmdr. EAGLE 5
Hero for Hire
EAGLE 5
Competent
Competent

Post by EAGLE 5 »

I have a question for the developer. Is it possible to add additional sounds to the game? If so how do I do that?

Specifically i'm interested in adding:

1) Separate Missile Lock sound from ID System response sound.
2) Enemy laser firing sound
3) Explosion sound when you destroy an object other than yourself.
4) Jumpdrive
Cmdr. EAGLE 5
Hero for Hire
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I'd love to hear the Amiga sounds make a comeback. All except that puny laser noise that sounds like a kitten being shmushed with a pillow.

But bring it on!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I suggested a mechanism for this last time it came up… probably in the other audio OXP thread. Ahh yes, it’s on here; Giles said he’d put it on his list.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

The one I would like is the BBC Micro version's laser sounds and hit sounds. I don't think any version of Elite has had laser sounds that were as good as the original Beeb's version.

It may be more difficult, however, as the original BBC sounds were synthesised at run time, so you got several variances of the same sound when your shields were being hit in quick succession.
EAGLE 5
Competent
Competent

Post by EAGLE 5 »

Hi everyone.

Giles put my Amiga soundpack up on Oosat! and he was also to pack it for me in an OXP format!

This is my first soundpack which I'll expand to bring it as close to the original as possible as Oolite gets more distinctive sounds over time.

Get it while it's hot!
Cmdr. EAGLE 5
Hero for Hire
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

“Variances” in sound are one of the things I want to do when I get a shipment of tuits. This’d take two forms: sounds being played at slightly randomized pitch and speed, and multiple samples for sound effects. For instance, you might have three different sound effects for the laser, made with slightly different Sound Builder settings, and each time the laser fires play a randomly selected one with up to 5% p/s shift.

I also intend to allow sounds to have an in, out, and loop section, each of which can be multi-valued, allowing more variation in the afterburner and tractor beam sounds. The basic mechanism would be that the game asks for the sound "Foo", and the sound system looks for "Foo.sound-plist", falling back on "Foo.ogg". If the sound-plist is found, it will be something like:

Code: Select all

body = ("Foo.ogg", "Foo2.ogg");
in = "Foo-in.ogg";
out = {
    file = "Foo-out.ogg";
    variance = 0.1;
};
So many intenentions, so little gumption…
EAGLE 5
Competent
Competent

Post by EAGLE 5 »

Hey hey hey! easy ace. I just do sounds I'm not a programmer :mrgreen:

(Pack is up b.t.w.)
Cmdr. EAGLE 5
Hero for Hire
Evil Juice
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Evil Juice »

Gosh, i used to play elite on amiga (500). well, i'm 29, so it fits in the frame, i'm downloading it, i think i'd just melt when i hear it
Target lost
EAGLE 5
Competent
Competent

Post by EAGLE 5 »

Evil Juice wrote:
Gosh, i used to play elite on amiga (500). well, i'm 29, so it fits in the frame, i'm downloading it, i think i'd just melt when i hear it
Beh in quel caso gioca vicino al frigorifero :)

***translation***

In that case play next to the refrigerator :)

Feel free to post up comments on the pack as I'll be working on improving it.
Cmdr. EAGLE 5
Hero for Hire
Evil Juice
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Evil Juice »

I suoni mi hanno fatto venire i brividi, la versione del Danubio Blu mi ha fatto l'effetto delle madeleines di Proust...

TRANSLATION: The sounds gave me the goosebumps, the Blue Danube has been like eating one of Proust's madeleines. The problem is that it seems to slow down gameplay quite a bit, it must be said that i'm in ionics systems and the crowd pushes the framerate to 10-15 fps on my old G4, still better than my g3 ibook though.
Target lost
EAGLE 5
Competent
Competent

Post by EAGLE 5 »

The framerate issue you'll have to take up with Giles because I'm on a PC and on my comp this pack flies (pun intended).

I do think that the slowdown may be attributed to the higher frequency and bitrate of my oggs compared to the originals.
That might require a bit more processing power but not much since the filesizes have increased only marginally.

As a sidenote I've e-mailed Giles a revised version of the soundpack featuring 2 new sounds. Hopefully it'll be up and running on Oosat within a day or two.

Stay Tuned.
Cmdr. EAGLE 5
Hero for Hire
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Whoa!

I found out about Oolite only two days ago (I think I tested one of the very early versions a long long time ago, though), tried it out yesterday and now I find the one thing that I missed (alongside with Wolf MkII): Amiga sounds!

A big, big bow to you and a virtual free drink as well, Eagle5!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

One nitpick: during the intro screen, I hear Blue Danube, while it says : Oolite Theme music (c) NoSleep...

Is that a bug? I mean, besides the fact that I like NoSleep's Theme, I *really* feel strongly it should stay... It was a theme, written for Oolite, and as such is a part of the game's character (IMO)

Despite Amiga version maybe playing Blue Danube during the intro.
EAGLE 5
Competent
Competent

Post by EAGLE 5 »

Erm yeah I know what you mean about the Nosleep thing....

I wish it read Theme by Mr. Micro, but to do that you need to mod the game intro screen i'm not quite sure how to do that. If someone shows me I'll gladly do it.
Cmdr. EAGLE 5
Hero for Hire