Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

False thargoid attack alert?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

False thargoid attack alert?

Post by ArkanoiD »

Is it possible? I launched immediately, but there were no thargoids, just some ionics pirates fighting each other..

BTW my legal status changed to offender without any noticeable reason.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

there probably are Thargoids, but you don't always see them rightaway (sometimes pretty far from the station, sometimes the station blocks the view, etc.)

change in legal status: you were probably carrying drugs or slaves, weapons... when exiting the station carrying those: bingo.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Rxke wrote:
there probably are Thargoids, but you don't always see them rightaway (sometimes pretty far from the station, sometimes the station blocks the view, etc.)

change in legal status: you were probably carrying drugs or slaves, weapons... when exiting the station carrying those: bingo.
That's unfair: i collected it in the space ;-) and just had no time to drop it on the station..
Commander Gralen
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Gralen »

ArkanoiD wrote:
Rxke wrote:

That's unfair: i collected it in the space ;-) and just had no time to drop it on the station..
I usually Choose them when i pick them up with Shift + R and then press D... I hate carrying illegal stuff without wanting to!

---------------------------------------
*103936t of Firearms ejected*
*3882t of slaves ejected*
*2t Narcotics ejected*
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Re: False thargoid attack alert?

Post by the alberts »

ArkanoiD wrote:
Is it possible? I launched immediately, but there were no thargoids, just some ionics pirates fighting each other..
Yup - I've had this happen a couple of times - also on occassion a ship will attack me for no reason (normally just a single shot at me and turning red on the radar). When I use the ship ident on them they're not even fugitive/offender status either.

Strange, but hey, it's when we're fighting giant insects in space, so not that strange then. :)
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

Yes, sometimes the Thargoids are out of scanner range when you launch, so you can wander around and not actually find them for a while. I will play with the script and see if I can alter that.

The "offender/fugitive upon launching" thing was brought up by Rxke in a different thread. It does appear to be a function of having illegal goods onboard. I'm working on a fix that involves recording your legal status before the attack and then reseting it to that value when you launch.

I'm not sure why clean ships sometimes decide to attack you. It's happened to me too. I suspect it's related to the "offender/fugitive upon launching" issue.

I'm glad to see enough people use the oxp to pick up on things like this. :D
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Post by the alberts »

Cmdr. Wombat wrote:
I'm not sure why clean ships sometimes decide to attack you. It's happened to me too. I suspect it's related to the "offender/fugitive upon launching" issue.
Perhaps they're just jumpy about the forthcoming Thargoid attack? :wink:
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

the alberts wrote:
Cmdr. Wombat wrote:
Perhaps they're just jumpy about the forthcoming Thargoid attack? :wink:
Weeeeellll, it could have something to do with that green and red paint job I had done on my ship... :D
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.