Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

v1.64 Patch available (super bugfix version)

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

v1.64 Patch available (super bugfix version)

Post by aegidian »

V1.64 makes more changes 'under-the-hood' that should optimise performance. If you notice a change in performance in Oolite on your machine (for better or worse) - please send details of your machine and the changes to [email protected].

Note this upgrade comes in two flavours, one for PowerPC, one for the Universal Binary release.
Please check which version of Oolite you are using before proceeding by using Finder's Get Info on Oolite.app - if it says Kind: Application (PowerPC) use the PowerPC version, if it is Kind: Application (Universal) use the Universal Binary version.

FOR PowerPC VERSION (Standard Release Version)
:arrow: http://www.digitalnervouswreck.com/ooli ... eTo164.zip

FOR UNIVERSAL BINARY VERSION
:arrow: http://www.digitalnervouswreck.com/ooli ... o164UB.zip

:arrow: Download the file above and expand it.

:arrow: Drag Oolite.app (v1.62+) onto the DropUpgradeOoliteTo164 or DropUpgradeOoliteTo164UB application.

:!: A small file called OolitePatch.log will be written to your desktop. If you have any problems upgrading you should mail me this file along with any crash reports and console.log entries.

:!: Oolite should immediately launch and give an 'Update successful' message.

The menu option About Oolite should also now show the version number as 1.64

Note that this will not update Oolite's version number in the Finder 'Get Info' box until the Finder is relaunched.

Main Changes for Version 1.64 (all versions)

• New equipment: EQ_HEAT_SHIELD, External heat shielding to make sun-skimming easier; EQ_TARGET_MEMORY, allows the shipcomp to store/recall up to 16 targets.
• Equipment availability system augmented, see equipment.plist for details.
• Improved implementation of radiation damage (very slightly less deadly, applies to NPC ships too).
• Implemented scanner un-zoom (press shift-Z).
• Allow selection of coincident target systems on the chart screens (click just above or below the system).
• Implemented control for ambient light level in planetinfo.plist (<key>ambient_level</key><real>1.0</real>).
• Implemented <key>isCarrier</key><true/>|<false/> in shipdata.plist entries.
• Implemented <key>rotaing</key><true/>|<false/> in shipdata.plist entries for stations.
• Implemented better handling of over-complicated models.
• More improemnts to sound code (thanks Ahruman).
• Fixed image handling problem (fixes Lave.oxp's moon bug).
• Fixed collision/scooping problems (fixes 'ghost escape pod' bug).
• Fixed text input problems (fixes 'Commander name change' bug, thanks Winston).
• Improvements to missile code: in shipdata.plist <key>missile_role</key> to select missiles fired by the ship, thargons going uncontrolled now properly shuck their target locks.
• Optimised lighting routines and aded more respect for the 'Reduced Detail' mode.
• Switched to GUSTO (Grand Unified Source Tree for Oolite) for future development.
• Many other minor bugfixes and glitch eliminations.

Version 1.63

• Bugfix to using zoom key in other chart screens.
• Laser vs. Ship collision detection now performed using octrees (more accurate.)
• Bug where default volume setting was 'Mute' fixed.
• All ship default console graphics are now drawn rather than taken from images.
• Hyperspace destination selected is now stored in the save game.
• ECM hardened missiles are no longer completely ECM proof (only 90% so.)
• Invincible Thargoid bug fixed.
• More aggressive data caching at start-up.
• Oolite 'strict' implements a non-zero forward velocity when speed is zero (like og. Elite.)
• 'addShipsWithinRadius:' 'consoleMessage3s:' 'consoleMessage6s:' methods implemented for scripting.
• Custom cargopods may be 'pre-filled' in their shipdata.plist entries.
• Player ship's model now drawn, permitting views of its external parts!
• Minor glitches fixed.
• Fuel scoop status indicator added to main display.
• Scooping flotsam now uses 'scoop_position' to determine where scooped items disappear into the ship.
• Major memory-use problems in AI addressed.
• Collision finding majorly overhauled to (crudely) partition space before tracking collisions - a big optimisation.

Note this patch can only upgrade Mac OS X Oolite v1.62 or later to the current version.
Last edited by aegidian on Fri May 05, 2006 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I don’t think the sound bug is fixed. However, it shouldn’t lock up as badly and may be able to recover gracefully. Or not. :-/
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

I'm taking it this is a development release? (Just so I put the right tags on the Linux build this evening).
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Post by the alberts »

I've upgraded the to 1.64 version and all is well. Good stuff. I'm aware that lots and lots has gone into this, but typically as a selfish Oolite player of course I'm only aware of:

Zoom out: Brilliant. This addition makes all the difference.

Target memory upgrade: ditto - no more repeated pointing at the same object... :D
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Aside of the 'too many ships' (see elsewhere- and not reproducced yet,) I got into a asteroid field, shot em to pieces, but the splinters were unscoopable, even 'uncollidable' (I mean: even if I tried, I flew right through them. They were shootable, though, but I got no money for it.
Console sez:

Code: Select all

***** Encountered localException during initialisation in [Universe update:] : NSRangeException : *** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (1) beyond bounds (1) *****

2006-03-16 18:28:48.367 Oolite[550] *** NSTimer discarding exception 'NSRangeException' (reason '*** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (1) beyond bounds (1)') that raised during firing of timer with target 1342e30 and selector 'doStuff:'

Not sure that's related, but anyways there it was, at about the same time.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

winston wrote:
I'm taking it this is a development release? (Just so I put the right tags on the Linux build this evening).
Yep, just releasing the current build to Mac OS X and bumping the version number as per usual, just a day early.

Evil Juice
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Evil Juice »

Target Memory is reeally sweeeet, man!
Target lost
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

eh... could someone explain to this idiot how the target memory thing works? I had a squint on the wiki but... no luck.
edible poet? onna stick?
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

lex_talionis wrote:
eh... could someone explain to this idiot how the target memory thing works? I had a squint on the wiki but... no luck.
Buy the Target Memory upgrade. Target ships as normal, by switching on Ident or arming a missile. From now on once you target a ship the target lock is stored in memory and can be recalled (if the ship is still in scanner-range) by stepping through memory with the '+' and '-' keys. Up to 16 targets can be stored.

rbird
Above Average
Above Average

Post by rbird »

I've tried using this upgrade quite a few times since purchasing it, but the + and - keys seem to do nothing. Can anyone verify that this is working in the Windows version?

Bob
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

It was working here after I tweaked the SDL code to recognise those keys, but I didn't check the change in, assuming winston was doing the same thing.

I can check that in sometime today and post a new build to berlios if I see the code is still missing.
Regards,
David Taylor.
gidz
Harmless
Harmless

possible bug in this new update?

Post by gidz »

hi guys,

This is my first post but i have been playing oolite for nearly a month now and just upgraded to this new version and seem to be having a problem where by as ships appear on the scanner they do nothing, they just hang in space at one point, you can even fly right upto them and they do nothing. Its only when you shoot at them or crash into them that they actually seem to come alive and start moving and shooting. Whats going on?
Gideon
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Re: possible bug in this new update?

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

gidz wrote:
hi guys,

This is my first post but i have been playing oolite for nearly a month now and just upgraded to this new version and seem to be having a problem where by as ships appear on the scanner they do nothing, they just hang in space at one point, you can even fly right upto them and they do nothing. Its only when you shoot at them or crash into them that they actually seem to come alive and start moving and shooting. Whats going on?
Gideon
Welcome Gideon!

This is a known bug with the AI. The omnipotent Giles has already tracked it down and fixed it. The fix should be in the next release.
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

Any chance we Mac users will see v.1.65 (sans pirate tsetse plague) any time soon? :D
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

hear hear!
edible poet? onna stick?