Defecting from Microsoft to Linux

Information, contacts and source code for ports to Linux, Windows, etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Defecting from Microsoft to Linux

Post by Cpt »

I am thinking of defecting from Microsoft to Linux... Can I take my port my Oolite saved games with me or must I start all over again?
Oolite is Ooheavy... Cpt says "Write on Commander"
<<My other spaceship is a Thargoid Pathfinder, from the wrong side of Riedquat >>
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Defecting from Microsoft to Linux

Post by Diziet Sma »

Your game saves will migrate across just fine. Ditto for the contents of your AddOns folder (saves from installing all those OXPs one at a time again).

(Personal recommendation: Don't bother with Ubuntu, go for Mint 15 instead. It's like Ubuntu, but before Ubuntu went insane.)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

I am contemplating Mint Mate...
<<My other spaceship is a Thargoid Pathfinder, from the wrong side of Riedquat >>
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Mate is a good, if rather basic, desktop.. I have it on my main desktop computer, which is also my main Oolite machine, as it has dual monitors and a 512Mb graphics card. If your computer is low-spec, it will cope with Mate quite well. My Mate machine is 9 years old, and has a single-core 1.0GHz AMD Athlon processor and 2.5Gb RAM. (It also copes quite well with Oolite, but witchspace jumps cause a 15-30 second 'freeze' while the new system is generated..)

I installed the Cinnamon Desktop version of Mint on my laptop, and find myself using my laptop most of the time now, despite the slight inconvenience.. the desktop is just gorgeous, with lots of nice features. Cinnamon needs the extra power of the dual-core 1.7GHz T5300 Intel CPU. If your computer has the extra grunt, I'd suggest going with Cinnamon.

You can see a small comparison of the two desktops here.

This is a recent screenshot of my Steampunk themed Cinnamon desktop.. (click on it for the full-sized version) I love that Mint15 login screens can also be themed to match, and that it supports animated login screens thanks to HTML5 support (works for Mate as well)..

Here's what my login screen looks like, courtesy of its' creator, at deviantART. The blimps, airplanes, searchlights and gears all move.. (and the clock works, of course!)
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Mechanica ... -364204145
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Diziet Sma wrote:
This is a recent screenshot of my Steampunk themed Cinnamon desktop.. (click on it for the full-sized version) I love that Mint15 login screens can also be themed to match, and that it supports animated login screens thanks to HTML5 support (works for Mate as well)..

That sort of themability of the desktop has just given me a little nostalgia for my old Atari Falcon desktop. I used to use a third party desktop called Jinnee which had similar themes.

Screenshot.
Last edited by JazHaz on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

Having killed my two laptops and my PC twice, I am now using a cobbled together PC whose components are about a decade old but it works and has XP on it which is supported till April, and I prefer to choose to go sooner rather than be pushed in April... so for now Mate vanilla is my next move and I may err towards Mods when I get familiar with it...
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

The only problem with switching from Windows to Linux is that you won't be able to run E: D on it for some time (not even sure if there will be a Linux version of E: D).
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

JazHaz wrote:
The only problem with switching from Windows to Linux is that you won't be able to run E: D on it for some time (not even sure if there will be a Linux version of E: D).
Given the estimated specs of Cpt's current "decade-old" computer, it doesn't stand a snowball in hells chance of running E: D anyway.. :wink: