Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite Update (rev: 334)

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Nic
Competent
Competent

Oolite Update (rev: 334)

Post by Nic »

http://nic.dnsalias.com/OoliteUpdate-re ... 060315.exe (680kb)

I'm going to try to release updates now, rather than full builds. To keep the install size down. So you need to have http://nic.dnsalias.com/oolite-1.63gust ... -win32.exe already installed and then install the OoliteUpdate over it.

Updates
Latest changes to the SVN (You can read about the changes here http://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/oolite-linux ... =1&isdir=1 )

Laser Coolant has been removed as aegidian does not like the idea.

I will update this thread with new updates as they come out, rather than create a new thread each time.

-Nic
Last edited by Nic on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Will the updates be cumulative? i.e. will you append each update to a pre-existing update or will we have to install every update separately?

I'd suggest the former, since it will be easier for the user to manage...
Nic
Competent
Competent

Post by Nic »

Cumulative.
i.e. after installing the base install ( http://nic.dnsalias.com/oolite-1.63gust ... -win32.exe ) You will only have to install the latest update.

Most of the time, the update is simply a new executable, so it is pretty simple to do a cumulative update build :)

SVN is currently at rev 319. So I will do a new build before the end of the day and update the subject and link in the first post to this new build.

Cheers,
-Nic
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

You are really cooking now matey.

Thanks a bunch.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

@Nic : remember when you're commiting to GUSTO, files in src/Core are meant to be cross-platform. I just had to replace a couple of

Code: Select all

#import "SDLImage.h"
with

Code: Select all

#ifdef GNUSTEP
#import "SDLImage.h"
#endif
before r320 would build on the Mac. :evil:
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Nic
Competent
Competent

Post by Nic »

@aegidian: Damn it. Sorry. Because I had lots of debug code in my changes too, I re-added things by hand. Everything was in nice #ifdef's, I must have missed those though.

Sorry and thanks for cleaning up my mess. I knew my first ever SVN commit wouldn't go without one hiccup.

Thanks,
-Nic

Edit & ps:
My posting level has meant i've acquired "Dangerous" under my name. How apt after my use of SVN ;)
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

There is an include file (OOOpenGL if I remember right, I can't check right now since I'm not at home) which automatically includes the right gubbins. This should be used from anything in src/Core to reduce #ifdef hell.

If any specific Win32 only files are needed, then create a src/Win32 directory and put them in there (I suspect there won't be though, unless someone wants to make work for themselves and make sound use DirectX or something <g>)
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

With all this activity going on I thought I'd better have another go at building this with the latest GNUstep.

The latest GNUstep isn't any better than the others, so no joy there. In facgt, it may be worse... couldn't find the back-end, and I can't even build SDL_image any more!

Luckily I didn't delete my old GNUstep so I got that latest Oolite source from svn and compiled. Wouldn't run, but when I copied the exe over to one of Nic's installed versions it went great.

Notes:

I had to change the GNUmakefile, obviously. Perhaps we can check in a GNUmakefile.win or something, just so Windows people get a head start on things?

SDL_gfx isn't required in the libs anymore - at least for the Windows version. I remember removing it because I couldn't get it to work on Windows.

I had to change a couple of instances of SDL/SDL.h to just SDL.h.

I had a couple of problems with classes not knowing about the resource manager, so needed to include ResourceManager.h.

For those last two, what would be missing in my config that you guys have?

The problem with the commander's name not showing in the load page seems to be related to the player_name part of the save file. Mine was blank which explains no names, but not the garbage I was seeing the other day.

Anyway I built a 323 and it seems to work. Already includes the first change I was going to make which was to show the economic/political information on the short range chart.

I have to say, take some time out to have a new baby and move, and Oolite leaps ahead! It is looking and playing great (even more so than it always has) now.
Regards,
David Taylor.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

dajt wrote:
just so Windows people get a head start on things?
We've got a laser cooler :wink:
dajt wrote:
Already includes the first change I was going to make which was to show the economic/political information on the short range chart.
Oh yes, excellent!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

dajt wrote:
I had to change the GNUmakefile, obviously. Perhaps we can check in a GNUmakefile.win or something, just so Windows people get a head start on things?
It should be possible to put conditions in the makefile which can make the appropriate libs settings et al. so it can be done out of one makefile. BSD versions (should) also be doing this because they already have strlcpy etc. and don't need the stuff in BSDcompat.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Oh yes - if you've (nic or dajt) got a couple of minutes free, can you fill this out a bit?

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Running_Oolite-Windows

particulary the 'Building' bit at the bottom?
Evil Juice
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Evil Juice »

Give a laser cooler to us mac snubbish minority (actually majority here..)!!! I want it NOW.
Target lost
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Evil Juice wrote:
Give a laser cooler to us mac snubbish minority (actually majority here..)!!! I want it NOW.
It's very very good, and a snip at the price, I've heard that the mac version is very expensive though!
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

I do not approve of laser coolers.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
leadslug
Average
Average

Post by leadslug »

Laser coolant is a wonderful gift, especially with military lasers, creep up on your opponent and unleash.

Anybody got any suggestions why, when in combat, oolite slows down in 1.63, most notably when the cloud nebula are around? Doesn't occur on 1.62

Good cheer
Leadslug
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.