Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

1.77 - Abrupt Shutdowns

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Jenko
Above Average
Above Average

1.77 - Abrupt Shutdowns

Post by Jenko »

If Oolite 1.76.1 is Stable; is 1.77 though recommended, less than stable?

I'm not carping, I love it - but several times 1.77 has abruptly shut itself down, eg during auto docking.

Or is it my computer, which, tho' slavishly kept up to date - couldn't always organise a celebration at a brewery.

I've just read about debugging so I'll re-phrase the query:

Under normal circs, how often should I expect 1.77 to abruptly shut down - every 6 games do you reckon?

Cheers
Jenko
Last edited by Jenko on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: 1.77 - Abrupt Shutdowns

Post by Cody »

Oolite 1.77 should be as stable as 1.76.1 - next time Oolite crashes, please post the Latest.log (found here: ~\Oolite\oolite.app\Logs).

Just seen your edit: it shouldn't crash at all, really.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Jenko
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jenko »

Hi Cody, thanks, here tis:

Opening log for Oolite version 1.77 (x86-32) under Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 32-bit at 2013-06-21 01:05:00 +0100.
2 processors detected.
Build options: spoken messages, mass/fuel pricing.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

01:05:00.707 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1280 x 768
01:05:00.934 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 1
01:05:00.945 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.0.0 ("2.0.0 - Build 7.15.10.1624"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Intel Cantiga".
01:05:00.945 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (62):
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_SGIS_texture_lod
01:05:00.953 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
01:05:01.050 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
Resources
../AddOns
../AddOns/Auto Crosshairs 1.0.4.oxp
../AddOns/BGS-A1.8.1.oxp
../AddOns/Cabal_Common_Library1.7.oxp
../AddOns/Cobra3 XT.oxp
../AddOns/cobra3njx.oxp
../AddOns/Delightful-Docking.oxp
../AddOns/FighterHud.oxp
../AddOns/Griff_Shipset_Replace_v1.34.oxp
../AddOns/Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp
../AddOns/Hyperradio1.26.1.oxp
../AddOns/I-Missile.oxp
../AddOns/Lave Academy 1.33.oxp
../AddOns/Neo-DockLights 1.00.oxp
../AddOns/Shady Cobra.oxp
../AddOns/System_Redux.oxp
../AddOns/Tionisla Reporter 1.2.oxp
../AddOns/Traffic Control 1.11.oxp
01:05:01.169 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
01:05:02.653 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 27 world scripts:
Auto Crosshairs 1.0.4
BGS-M 1.8.1
Cabal_Common_Briefing 1.7
Cabal_Common_Comms 1.7
Cabal_Common_Functions 1.7
Cabal_Common_Keyboard 1.7
Cabal_Common_MissionHandling 1.7
Cabal_Common_Music 1.7
Cabal_Common_Overlay 1.7
Cabal_Common_OXPStrength 1.7
Cabal_Common_SpecialMarkets 1.7
hyperradio 1.26.1
LaveAcademy 1.33
neoDockLights_worldScript.js 0.10
oolite-cloaking-device 1.77
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.77
oolite-contracts-cargo 1.77
oolite-contracts-helpers 1.77
oolite-contracts-parcels 1.77
oolite-contracts-passengers 1.77
oolite-nova 1.77
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.77
oolite-trumbles 1.77
Spawn Black Knave 1.0
System Redux 1.2 1.2
Tionisla Reporter 1.2.0
TrafficControl 1.1
01:05:06.144 [Check]: hyperradio requirement not matched : snoopers min. version 2.4 not installed.
01:05:06.144 [hyperradio]: hyperradio - deactivating all specials
01:05:06.401 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 6.20 seconds. ==========
01:07:43.983 [exit.context]: Exiting: SDL_QUIT event received.
01:07:43.983 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2013-06-21 01:07:43 +0100.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

It might be the graphics card - the old Intel cards have very weak support for OpenGL, and whether they work or not at all with Oolite seems to depend on some very complex combination of the driver version, the rest of the computer, the OS, the Oolite version, and so on.

Do you still get crashes if you turn shaders off in the options?

For context: "Stable" in the description of the 1.76 release series refers primarily to its feature support for OXPs. In theory, OXPs written using the features in a 1.xx stable release will continue working as intended in any future 1.xx stable release. Conversely, OXPs written using the features new to a 1.yy testing release are not guaranteed to work in future 1.yy testing releases or 1.xx stable releases, as those features are subject to arbitrary revision until they've been in a stable release.

It doesn't refer to the stability of the application itself: in theory, no released version of Oolite should ever crash.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Jenko wrote:
01:05:06.144 [Check]: hyperradio requirement not matched : snoopers min. version 2.4 not installed.
01:05:06.144 [hyperradio]: hyperradio - deactivating all specials
You do need to upgrade Snoopers OXP. Hyperradio may have caused the crash possibly?

Get it from the Wiki: [wiki]Snoopers[/wiki]
Jenko
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jenko »

cim wrote:
It might be the graphics card - the old Intel cards have very weak support for OpenGL, and whether they work or not at all with Oolite seems to depend on some very complex combination of the driver version, the rest of the computer, the OS, the Oolite version, and so on.

Do you still get crashes if you turn shaders off in the options?
Thanks for the contextual info too. I'll load my games on the Missus's Windows 8 64 bit slate & try that card. Also I'll try a few games without shaders

@JazHaz
I've upgraded Snoopers on the Vista slate, will let you know.

Cheers
Jenko
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

@Jenko: The log you have posted is not one immediately after a crash. The line at the end reading ".GNUstepDefaults synchronized" indicates normal and controlled termination and the line reading "SDL_QUIT event received" indicates that the game was closed by clikcing on the game window's "X" button. As soon as your game crashes again, please do not re-run it before posting the contents of Latest.log here, otherwise the log we want may be overwritten. Also, keep an eye out for a file called stderr.txt inside the folder oolite.app. If such file is found in the folder and it is not zero bytes in length, please post its contents here too.

To all intents and purposes, Oolite 1.77 should be just as, if not more, stable than 1.76.1 (stable used here as in 'not crashing'). You should not expect it to abruptly shut down. If it does crash frequently for you, then it would be really helpful if you could give us a way to reproduce the crashes. This would be the only way to investigate the problem, but for now sending us the crash logs as indicated above would be a good start.
Jenko
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jenko »

@ a_c: As you see I've been playing the Trunk game on Vista. Successive games for about 90 minutes, then during auto docking - crash! The GNUstepdefaults synchronized indicator you highlighted is there too.

My touch pad seems over sensitive - I'm always unintentionally dragging stuff across the screen - perhaps I've got clumsy fingers. Sorry if I've raised a false alarm. I'll make exagerated 'finger lifts' from now to see if this solves the problem.

Before I paste the log, what's the most helpful way I can use the Trunk for your team please?

NB: Re line 65: I could only open the download of .1.5682 after it was scanned by A Windows security prog. plus Avast & another anti-virus prog. Yer tis:

Opening log for Oolite development version 1.77.1.5682 (x86-32 test release) under Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 32-bit at 2013-06-22 18:31:02 +0100.
2 processors detected.
Build options: spoken messages, mass/fuel pricing, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support, JavaScript profiling.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

18:31:02.174 [dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
18:31:02.566 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1366 x 768
18:31:02.741 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
18:31:02.741 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.0.0 ("2.0.0 - Build 7.15.10.1624"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Intel Cantiga".
18:31:02.741 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (62):
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_SGIS_texture_lod
18:31:02.756 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
18:31:02.829 [dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
18:31:02.831 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
Resources
../AddOns
../AddOns/Basic-debug.oxp
../AddOns/BGS-A1.8.1.oxp
../AddOns/BGS-A1.8.1.oxp/Auto Crosshairs 1.0.4.oxp
../AddOns/Cabal_Common_Library1.7.oxp
../AddOns/Cabal_Common_Library1.7.oxp/Griff_Shipset_Replace_v1.34.oxp
../AddOns/Cobra3 XT.oxp
../AddOns/cobra3njx.oxp
../AddOns/Delightful-Docking.oxp
../AddOns/FighterHud.oxp
../AddOns/Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp
../AddOns/Hyperradio1.26.1.oxp
../AddOns/I-Missile.oxp
../AddOns/Lave Academy 1.33.oxp
../AddOns/Neo-DockLights 1.00.oxp
../AddOns/Shady Cobra.oxp
../AddOns/Snoopers2.5.oxp
../AddOns/System_Redux.oxp
../AddOns/Traffic Control 1.11.oxp
18:31:02.962 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
18:31:06.126 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 27 world scripts:
Auto Crosshairs 1.0.4
BGS-M 1.8.1
Cabal_Common_Comms 1.7
Cabal_Common_Music 1.7
Cabal_Common_Overlay 1.7
hyperradio 1.26.1
LaveAcademy 1.33
oolite-cloaking-device 1.77.1
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.77.1
oolite-contracts-cargo 1.77.1
oolite-contracts-helpers 1.77.1
oolite-contracts-parcels 1.77.1
oolite-contracts-passengers 1.77.1
oolite-nova 1.77.1
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.77.1
oolite-trumbles 1.77.1
snoopers 2.5
Spawn Black Knave 1.0
System Redux 1.2 1.2
TrafficControl 1.1
18:31:13.671 [debugTCP.disconnect]: No connection to debug console: "Connection to debug console failed: 'No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

' (outStream status: 7, inStream status: 7)."
18:31:13.672 [debugTCP.send.warning]: Error sending packet header, retrying.
18:31:13.696 [debugTCP.send.error]: The following packet could not be sent: {"Oolite version" = 1.77.1; "packet type" = "Request Connection"; "protocol version" = 65792; }
18:31:13.716 [debugTCP.disconnect]: No connection to debug console: "Connection to debug console failed: 'bad stream.' (outStream status: 0, inStream status: 0)."
18:31:13.716 [debugTCP.connect.failed]: Failed to connect to debug console at address 127.0.0.1:8563.
18:31:14.099 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 11.90 seconds. ==========
18:32:26.587 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 27 world scripts:
Auto Crosshairs 1.0.4
BGS-M 1.8.1
Cabal_Common_Comms 1.7
Cabal_Common_Music 1.7
Cabal_Common_Overlay 1.7
hyperradio 1.26.1
LaveAcademy 1.33
oolite-cloaking-device 1.77.1
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.77.1
oolite-contracts-cargo 1.77.1
oolite-contracts-helpers 1.77.1
oolite-contracts-parcels 1.77.1
oolite-contracts-passengers 1.77.1
oolite-nova 1.77.1
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.77.1
oolite-trumbles 1.77.1
snoopers 2.5
Spawn Black Knave 1.0
System Redux 1.2 1.2
TrafficControl 1.1
18:34:09.729 [exit.context]: Exiting: SDL_QUIT event received.
18:34:09.739 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2013-06-22 18:34:09 +0100.

Jenko
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Nothing seems to be wrong in this log. Controlled application termination by hitting the game's window close button is the reason it ended from what can be seen. More specifically, the application received an SDL_QUIT event, which according to the documentation
SDL_quit.h comments wrote:
An SDL_QUITEVENT is generated when the user tries to close the application window.
One other thing that seems strange is that the log you posted starts at 18:31 and ends at 18:34. This log does not correspond to a 90 minute long game session.

Regarding line 65 of the log, it is a normal statement basically saying that the game tried to establish a connection with a debug console on the same computer and failed (which is fine, since you were most likely not running the debug console (a testing and debugging tool available for donwload here) at that point). This is standard behaviour of the debug-enabled builds of Oolite (trunk is always built in debug-enabled configuration) and any security program reporting unsafe operation when trying to connect to the loopback is simply not doing its job right. Just to be absolutely clear, I checked the trunk build r5682 using virustotal.com, an online scan system which runs a 46-engine scan on any file you upload to it. Results at https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/7978 ... 371933587/. All engines (with the exception of one which timed out during scan) report a clean file.

To answer your question about how you can use trunk to help us: It's all explained in this post, but this requires probably some work and experience on the part of the user, which is not what I expect from our normal gamers. Having said that, you can always give it at try, as the tools you need are all pre-packed for you and the instructions to follow are quite simple at the end of the day - it can just get overwhelming if something doesn't go exactly as the instructions say it will. Other than that, simply reporting any bugs you find (hopefully with a way to reproduce them on any other system) would go a long way in helping us.
Jenko
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jenko »

@ a-c
Who wrote: "One other thing that seems strange is that the log you posted starts at 18:31 and ends at 18:34. This log does not correspond to a 90 minute long game session."

My games don't last very long - this was the last of several a_c. (Must do better!)

Your help much appreciated.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Jenko wrote:
@ a_c: As you see I've been playing the Trunk game on Vista. Successive games for about 90 minutes, then during auto docking - crash!
Just to re-iterate what another_commander wrote: the log you posted does not indicate that Oolite shut down or crashed. Instead it indicates that you ended Oolite regularly by closing its window.

Basically, there are two explanations for the discrepancy between what you're saying: "Oolite shuts down abruptly/crashes" and what your logs show: "Oolite has not shut down abruptly/has not crashed".

Either (1) Oolite did shut down abruptly/crashed, but you accidentally posted the wrong log. How to rectify this: You have to open latest.log and post it immediately after the shutdown happened. Especially, do not restart or even touch Oolite before finding and opening latest.log.

Or (2) Oolite didn't shut down abruptly/didn't crash in the first place, but you accidentally managed to close its window manually. Perhaps this could happen through pressing some key combination? I'm not a Windows guy, so I cannot say for sure. How to rectify this: avoid the accidental shutdown of Oolite, for instance by avoiding the fatal key combination.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Commander McLane wrote:
Or (2) Oolite didn't shut down abruptly/didn't crash in the first place, but you accidentally managed to close its window manually. Perhaps this could happen through pressing some key combination? I'm not a Windows guy, so I cannot say for sure. How to rectify this: avoid the accidental shutdown of Oolite, for instance by avoiding the fatal key combination.
Ctrl-W closes the top window in Win7. Maybe Jenko should avoid that by using full-screen mode?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Jenko wrote:
My touch pad seems over sensitive - I'm always unintentionally dragging stuff across the screen - perhaps I've got clumsy fingers. Sorry if I've raised a false alarm. I'll make exagerated 'finger lifts' from now to see if this solves the problem.
Bloody touchpads.. the bane of my existence, sometimes..!

Do you have a (USB) mouse you can plug in? If so, you can set the touchpad to switch itself off whenever a mouse is plugged in.. saves all those "oops" moments from letting your thumb touch the pad inadvertently..

(Control panel > Mouse > Device Settings > Touchpad > Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied