Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

THE DEATH OF OOLITE > ELITE DANGEROUS

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Burton
Competent
Competent

THE DEATH OF OOLITE > ELITE DANGEROUS

Post by Commander Burton »

As we all know, the new Elite we have waited for will be here next year. Braben and Frontier are working feverishly to get it out.....ELITE : DANGEROUS.

So as the real new Elite is coming, let us all spare a thought for Oolite :

This really is the ultimate death sentence for Oolite, a real SWORD OF DAMOCLES. :cry:

It just can't and won't compete with the real thing.

God bless u Oolite, but now you are an empty hulk just waiting to be surpassed by the new REAL Elite.

Let us pray
Yours,

Cdr Burton
Elite
Since
MCMLXXXIV
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: THE DEATH OF OOLITE > ELITE DANGEROUS

Post by Diziet Sma »

You must not have been paying attention lately.. :lol:

We've discussed this to death a few months back, and the overwhelming conclusion was that it will make very little difference to Oolite, to the Oolite developers, or to the people who play Oolite. See some of the threads in the Outworld section for the details.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Now I've stopped laughing....
E:D is irrelevant to the future of Oolite. It is a commercial enterprise drawing on some heritage that Frontier developments has for marketing purposes. Anyone reading the threads on E:D will see that it will actually have very little in common with Elite except the name. It will be multi-player and almost everything I've read suggests that the game and the gameplay will be nothing like the original Elite.
Oolite is a self-contained community which has broadly stayed true to the spirit of Elite and has maintained the canon and interest in the game for many years. I see no reason why that should change, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if in years to come Oolite is still flourishing long after E:D has been superceded by the Next Big Space Sim.
Last edited by Smivs on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hmm... what the other two said. I'm an Elite: Dangerous backer, but I ain't expecting a new Elite... far from it, in fact. The real Elite? Bah!
I'm not taken-in by the hype of Elite: Dangerous, and Oolite will remain my main interest... it has the magic!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

In my opinion E:D fails to capture the spirit of Elite, something which Oolite has been doing for almost a decade now.

The sword of damocles Commander Burton sees to me looks like a blunt kitchen knife that can safely be given to kids under age 6.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hans Olo »

Also, as a Mac user who doesn't want to purchase a copy of windows to dual boot from, I will probably just carry on like dangerous if it never happened. Or not. We'll see. But remains that oolite is an awesome game that runs well on Macintosh.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Lone_Wolf wrote:
In my opinion E:D fails to capture the spirit of Elite, something which Oolite has been doing for almost a decade now.
I'd be tempted to wait until we see the game until we draw that conclusion!

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
rayner
Above Average
Above Average

Post by rayner »

I backed Elite: Dangerous, and I'm eagerly looking forward to it. But I don't think it'll compete directly with Oolite. Oolite, despite all its new features and extra eye-candy, still feels to me like playing the original Elite. I'm expecting E:D to be more like a total reboot of the Elite universe that'll keep some broad similarities to the original but have its own distinct spirit.

I actually got into Oolite as an indirect result of the E:D Kickstarter campaign (a friend and I were excitedly talking about E:D at a party, and ended up downloading Oolite to show another friend what the original Elite was all about). So we might even see an increase in interest in Oolite, from players who want a taste of "classic" Elite but also enjoy things like the modern graphics, upgraded AI, and fan-made expansion packs.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

I guarantee it won't run on this old laptop! I am also sure they are not going to be giving it away for free... Will people be able to design an fly their own ships? Create their own content and see it in the game, or share it with others? Nah, I don't see any danger to Oolite. I am sure the community will get quiet for a few weeks/months, but when the newness wears off, and people get the urge to create again... Things will go back to normal. };]
S-P
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by S-P »

E:D looks a lot like a lot of games these days all show and little else, I just hope it's a lot better than Braben's other game i.e. Frontier and First Encounters... Anyways I don't think Oolite has much to worry about. :D
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I backed E:D, I backed all the novels - but so far, I can't see me playing E:D very often (in multi-player mode) and unless the single player mode is captivating in terms of gameplay as well as graphics then I can see my interest not lasting that long.

However, ultimately, it is the Oolite Forum and the OXPs that keep me coming back to Oolite - and I don't see E:D having that appeal - it's Frontier after all and this Kickstarter is the closest they've had to community interaction for 20 years...

[But thank-you for giving a good giggle Cmdr Burton - it's a little late for April Fools but I appreciate the effort]
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Smivs wrote:
Now I've stopped laughing....
E:D is irrelevant. It is a commercial enterprise drawing on some heritage that Frontier developments has for marketing purposes. Anyone reading the threads on E:D will see that it actually has nothing in common with Elite except the name. It will be multi-player and almost everything I've read suggests that the game and the gameplay will be nothing like the original Elite.
Oolite is a self-contained community which has broadly stayed true to the spirit of Elite and has maintained the canon and interest in the game for many years. I see no reason why that should change, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if in years to come Oolite is still flourishing long after E:D has been superceded by the Next Big Space Sim.
+1.

This topic was discussed earlier. I don't know if I will Like ED. So far Multiplayer looks......well... complicated.... :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Sure is alot of assumptions being thrown around about a game that isn't even in Beta yet! :lol:

While the opening post is a bit silly, I think some of you are far too defensive, slamming Elite and saying how quickly its going to die.

I personally see no reason that both sims can't live in the same space. They both will have VERY little in common, beyond being set in space and having the Elite name, and some similar ships. Based on current designs for Elite I think it will be more comparable to FFE/FE2 then the original game, which Oolite is based off of.

People who are playing Oolite loved the first game, and alot of the reasons we loved the first game didn't really transfer well into the following games. I backed Elite and I have no doubt that it will be a fantastic game, but I feel Oolite will live on, its so different from anything else in development, and the 'magic' is still there! I can easily see myself in a few years still plugging away at Oolite! The expansions and constant development just make this gem continue to shine.
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

OneoftheLost wrote:
People who are playing Oolite loved the first game, and alot of the reasons we loved the first game didn't really transfer well into the following games.
Yep. It makes a lot of sense to think of Oolite as "Elite 2", while E:D will be "Frontier 3" (thus it's not the "new Elite we have waited for", it's the "new Frontier many Frontier-fans have waited for").

Anyway, E:D will be different from Oolite. So why should it be a "death sentence" to anything? People can play two games alongside each other. In fact, they can (and do!) play dozens or hundreds of games alongside each other.
Captain Tylor
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Captain Tylor »

OneoftheLost wrote:
People who are playing Oolite loved the first game, and alot of the reasons we loved the first game didn't really transfer well into the following games. I backed Elite and I have no doubt that it will be a fantastic game, but I feel Oolite will live on, its so different from anything else in development, and the 'magic' is still there! I can easily see myself in a few years still plugging away at Oolite! The expansions and constant development just make this gem continue to shine.
I agree and this very forum is also a reason Oolite will never die.