Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Any hope/prognosis for LocalHero?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Any hope/prognosis for LocalHero?

Post by Bogatyr »

I recall LocalHero as being a very engaging mission OXP with increasingly demanding dogfights. On the wiki it just says it is "broken." In the game on high tech confed worlds it just doesn't come up.... is this a WIP or is it abandonware at this point?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Any hope/prognosis for LocalHero?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

It's broken in the sense that Svengali is doing lots of other stuff for Oolite and Local Hero just won't work with the way Oolite works now - so it needs a full rebuild - effectively Svengali would/will have to start again.

I loved LH - I wrote the newsflashes that would have gone into LH2 (which now come up in Snoopers so that they weren't wasted)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: Any hope/prognosis for LocalHero?

Post by Svengali »

Yep. LH is definitely broken. It was a funny OXP and specially the last 10 missions were pretty difficult without beeing a overkill, because all used ships were pretty much in the standard power range.

The plan is to rebuilt it with the new possibilities in Oolite, but this requires some preparations in Cabal_Common, Snoopers and Vector, because it will use lots of features in these OXPs. The first step is nearly done - identifying and wiping bottlenecks and handle changed behaviours in Oolite for CCL and Snoopers. The next step is to finish the SpecialMarkets script which turns the current script into a black market thingummie, then start working on Vector (simplifying, performance tweaks, etc.). Only when this is done I can start working on LH. I'm fully aware that this is a challenge - it's not the best time for missions, because so many global active mechanisms are already interfering with missions, but hey .-)