Getting ready to abandon Photobucket

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Getting ready to abandon Photobucket

Post by Diziet Sma »

I've been with Photobucket for years, as I've always found they had the best features, least restrictions and were the easiest to use of all the image hosting sites out there.

Over the last few months though, they seem to have taken a good dozen steps backwards. Rather than renew their contract with Pixlr to use their image editing program, they've gone with a clunky, featureless pile of junk which sometimes destroys images, and have removed a bunch of cool features and options to revert back to an interface which is bland and boring, (not to mention SLOOOWW, and regularly crashes), to the point that even a 5yo could design something better. Simple intuitive actions have been replaced with processes requiring 3 or 4 steps and clicks (where those actions still exist at all).

Paying professional and business users have discovered their carefully organised work has been re-arranged, re-named, re-sized, mixed up, savagely compressed, or otherwise borked. All this is being touted as "improvements". Now, in a couple of weeks time, the glitchy, sometimes-working, sometimes-not BETA that they've been playing with for months is about to be forced on all users, even though it is clearly nowhere near usable yet. Right now, if you have the misfortune to log out and back in, or inadvertently click on certain links, you will be insta-switched over to the new interface, with no way to revert back.

Despite almost 100% negative feedback, they are ignoring all complaints and pushing on. It looks like PB have decided they don't give a damn about the needs of professionals, business-people or regular customers, and are instead chasing after the brain-dead Failbook and iCrap market. Even their paying customers are abandoning them in droves.

So, I'm researching alternatives, as if things don't improve markedly in the next two weeks, I'm outa there.

Problem is, the alternatives (Flickr, ImageShack, Imgur, et al) all seem to have ridiculous limitations on their free accounts. 200/250 or 500 images tops? Files not accessed in more than 30 days deleted? Please.. That's just bullshit. :roll: Tinypic isn't an option, as they're owned by Photobucket, whom I am no longer willing to support or recommend. Picasa is out, as they don't support Linux. (nice going, Google!)

Whoever I do go with, I'd really prefer that they have a browser plugin available, to make it easier to upload from websites, etc.

So who does that leave? Any suggestions?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Getting ready to abandon Photobucket

Post by maaarcooose »

Have to agree with this.

On the rare occasions I do login to PB I always seemed to find it a little different.
This new setup is painful and makes the whole thing much worse to use.
I particularly was annoyed when I uploaded a file and couldn't find the image links. Only supplied one and the lack of a clickable thumbnail link option is really annoying.

I would use my Dropbox account and share the files there but the forum, and most others don't seem to let you post links in img tabs to an https site. Just says it can't determine image size which I can understand. I guess there's room for some degree of compatibility between phpbb and Dropbox sharing.

I've tried using Flickr seeing as iPhoto seems to want to default to uploading there and I'm not really impressed. Again, it's too complicated for simple upload and share.

The whole thing is something that just makes me want to launch my own photo sharing site.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Stopped using Photobucket a while ago. I now use Panoramio, although it's not fantastic.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Yeah, they've been driving me crackers with their hateful beta... but the alternatives are not great.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I have a Flickr Pro account, its US$ 44.95 for two years, which I think is good value.

If you are involved with a charity or similar organisation you may be able to get a free Pro account, find more details here.

EDIT: here's the feature list for Pro compared to the Free account:
Flickr Pro is the best deal on the web for uploading and sharing your photos. No where else offers access to your original files, unlimited uploads, unlimited storage, and unlimited bandwidth for as little as $1.87 per month.

With Pro you get:
  • Unlimited photo uploads (50MB per photo)
  • Unlimited video uploads (90 seconds max, 500MB per video)
  • The ability to show HD Video
  • Unlimited storage
  • Unlimited bandwidth
  • Archiving of high-resolution original images
  • The ability to replace a photo
  • Post any of your photos or videos in up to 60 group pools
  • View count and referrer statistics
  • Limitation of maximum image size available to others
  • Ad-free browsing and sharing
Compare that to what you get with a Free Account:
  • 300 MB monthly photo upload limit (30MB per photo)
  • 2 video uploads each month (90 seconds max, 150MB per video)
  • Photostream views limited to the 200 most recent images
  • Post any of your photos in up to 10 group pools
  • Only smaller (resized) images accessible (though the originals are saved in case you upgrade later)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!