Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

JazzyTech
Poor
Poor

New Oolite user here Saying Thanks!

Post by JazzyTech »

Hello!

Wasn't sure where to drop this, so I figured off-topic would be decent. That said, I just wanted to convey my appreciation to those of you who have contributed to Oolite! I'd never heard of Oolite until a few weeks ago thanks to the folks over at Frontier. :) I'm a long time fan of the original Elite and Frontier which I played on the Commodore Amiga. My guess is your BBS is heating up due to the renewed interest in Elite: Dangerous?

Thanks to Oolite, I've been able to help some of my younger friends (and a few much older) understand just how good a game can be, regardless of it's age. Thanks to all the "OXPers" this game has lot's of modification possibilities.

Again, thanks to all of you for your time and contribution to a great game! I look forward to seeing what's next :)

JazzyTech
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New Oolite user here Saying Thanks!

Post by Diziet Sma »

Welcome aboard, JazzyTech! 8)

Yes, there have been quite a few new members on account of the E:D kickstarter. It's also brought a lot of the old Oolite crew out of hiding. People we hadn't seen posting in a long time have returned.

And news of new converts is always welcome! Many thanks for spreading the word!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

From what I read on the Elite: Dangerous forum, quite a few people are downloading various Elite clones in order to get some practice in - brushing-up on their docking, that sort of thing. It's rather amusing, hearing tales about the old supposed difficulty of docking. <chortles merrily>

Welcome aboard, JazzyTech!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JazzyTech
Poor
Poor

Post by JazzyTech »

LOL! Yes, I smashed into the walls a few times until I got my "space legs" back :) Now I dont' even thiink about it. I found it particularly amusing that my father who is in his late 60s became very interested on hearing about Elite Dangerous and asking me if I new anything about it. Man, did he get an earful :) I'm sure he's smashed quite a few ship into the docking stations in Oolite, much to the dismay of my mother who has to listen to him cursing every time he does... :lol:
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Welcome JazzyTech :D.
El Viejo wrote:
From what I read on the Elite: Dangerous forum, quite a few people are downloading various Elite clones in order to get some practice in - brushing-up on their docking, that sort of thing. It's rather amusing, hearing tales about the old supposed difficulty of docking. <chortles merrily>

Welcome aboard, JazzyTech!
Well, in defense of those fresh Jamesons, it is a little intimidating when you first try docking :P.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

Well, well , well fancy meeting you here JazzyTech :lol:
Welcome to the Oolite forum :wink:
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
psuamier
Above Average
Above Average

Post by psuamier »

I'm also very grateful for this wonderful game. It's like playing the old Elite revamped with nice graphics, sound and so many fan-made additions but still the feeling of the good ol' times.

Also though I use the latest unstable so far with many (really many :) addons I've so far not even detected any minor problem.

Starting a new commander some time ago I realize that the old Elite originally is still quite challenging compared to the more recent (Frontier) variants. Maybe it's just my computer that is too fast (>50FPS ;)

So now I have a game to play.
CMDR: suamor - Space Trader and Explorer - Founding member of the Elite
Elite Dangerous Beta Tester
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day, psuamier, and welcome aboard! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JazzyTech
Poor
Poor

Post by JazzyTech »

Geraldine wrote:
Well, well , well fancy meeting you here JazzyTech :lol:
Welcome to the Oolite forum :wink:
OMG... She found or followed me!
She *REALLY* is everywhere!!!

It's Genetically Engineered Robotic Artificial Life-form, Deployed In Natural Environments
RUN!

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3618 will explain!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

It's worse than you think, JazzyTech..

Yes, Geraldine followed you here.. but if you check the joining date, she arrived before you! You see, Geraldine can also time-travel. There's no escape.. :lol:
JazzyTech
Poor
Poor

Post by JazzyTech »

:) Humour (or not) aside, Hi Geraldine! I'm an Oolite Noob.. I'd heard of it once a few years back, but was too involved in other projects to look into it in more detail. I had already discovered VegaStrike which I found of to be fun as well; although not as finished as Oolite. I'd say it's more Frontier-like though. I really like the OXP expandability. I might bring my 3D soft/hardware out of retirement and see about some modeling.. (not the runway type, mind you) :)

Thanks for the warm welcome! Friendly board you have here! :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Geraldine was enticed onto this forum by a dashing Naval Attaché (he was just dashing out the door).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The Naval Attaché is just being modest.. in reality he's quite the swave and deboner astro-aviator! :P :lol: