Do you love old racing cars?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

If you'd like to see some beautiful photographs of some astonishingly beautiful Lotus race cars from the 1950s and 1960s then look here: http://www.riversdale-restoration.co.uk/index.php?a=1

One of my oldest friends has gone into business for himself restoring these gorgeous toys.

Enjoy (I know I will when I see them in the flesh this summer)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Do you love old racing cars?

Post by JazHaz »

In answer to your question, no not really! :twisted:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Erm, wow, thanks JazHaz, to go to all that trouble to read the title of the post and still feel the need to read it and comment...

Well at least you boosted it back up the unread posts list. :roll:
Selezen wrote:
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

I'll bump it too DH :D - although I'm not a big car fan, I do have to say that old Lotus is pretty cool 8).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Well I do. I'd have a Lotus Elan in a flash if I had the cash. Sadly I don't, but a supercharged Mazda Mx-5 goes someway to soothing my frustration... :)

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Given the choice of classic '60s sports cars, I think I'd rather have an AC Cobra... of course!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I don't have a driver's license. (Due to never needing it here in The Netherlands. I've always had the luck that I didn't have to travel more than 15 kilometers a day or have good public transport for the longer distances).

But I like race cars. I play also a lot of racing games (when not playing Oolite, Flightsim's or Rairoad sims).

I visited the page and those are nice mod-projects.
In GT5 I came across another '60's car which I like: the Ginetta G3.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Colonel Wasabi
Competent
Competent

Post by Colonel Wasabi »

I LOVED Grand Prix Legends back in the day.

It had a similar community of fans who produced tons of 'new' tracks. Remakes of classic layouts of circuits from different eras - even an "Isle of Man TT" track. it was great fun trying out new circuits - and fiendishly difficult to drive well too....I can still remember the nose trying to snap round if you accelerated hard down a straight !

Your thread has made me wonder about dusting it off and seeing if I can get it running again on the PC/Bootcamp. Only trouble is I've no longer got my old Thrustmaster steering wheel....what a beauty that was.

You should dig around on the net and look it up, DaddyH.

Col Wasabi
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

I'm currently trying to ratify my ARDS license and my mate lets me drive one of his 'toys'. This is a 3l Marcos, with the correct in period engine which was 'fettled' by one his US based mates (who usually does NASCAR engines).

He also owns a number of 'classic' racing cars. One is based here and runs in the 'formula 2' race series for classic cars (google Formula Atlantic for some pics of what they look like). He has promised me a go once I've got more experience. We're having to take this year out as he's not very well and they won't give him his license to race this year. Being as it allows him to drive up to and including F1 cars this is probably wise.

If money was no object would have to be a 'D' type. If it was only 'problematical' then a lightweight E-type. Current plan however is to get enough together to build an XJS race car.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Colonel Wasabi wrote:
I LOVED Grand Prix Legends back in the day.

It had a similar community of fans who produced tons of 'new' tracks. Remakes of classic layouts of circuits from different eras - even an "Isle of Man TT" track. it was great fun trying out new circuits - and fiendishly difficult to drive well too....I can still remember the nose trying to snap round if you accelerated hard down a straight !

Your thread has made me wonder about dusting it off and seeing if I can get it running again on the PC/Bootcamp. Only trouble is I've no longer got my old Thrustmaster steering wheel....what a beauty that was.

You should dig around on the net and look it up, DaddyH.

Col Wasabi
Why not try Rfactor? Its great!
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

At work we use a fully licensed version of "Racer" and a G27 race wheel and modified (re-sprung) pedals, running 3 PCs, on 3 52" LCD HDTVs giving a real 135deg FOV (from the driver's head position).

We've just put in a bid for a professional 3DOF motion platform. (Pitch, roll, heave) Hope we get it!
Selezen wrote:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yes! I am a high-octane petrol head and am not ashamed of it, and they don't have to be old or 'racing' to get my vote, although both elements help.
I also feel that these (and all old cars) deserve a break and that their preservation should be encouraged in every way. If anyone is intersted my cars are here. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Smivs wrote:
Yes! I am a high-octane petrol head and am not ashamed of it, and they don't have to be old or 'racing' to get my vote, although both elements help.
I also feel that these (and all old cars) deserve a break and that their preservation should be encouraged in every way. If anyone is intersted my cars are here. :D
Excellent Smivs - I own an ex-Police '03 Astra - she had 135,000 miles on the clock when I bought her (she was 3 years old) - TODAY I took her through 235,000 miles.

My brother-in-law is currently restoring a 1.6 Mk 1 Capri... (he has been for `10 years though!)
Selezen wrote:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

In this folder is our new set-up for our multiscreen simulator - we've just upgraded it with a ButtKicker and tweaked the G25 set-up (and modified the pedals with bespoke springs).

The video is my work colleague using our Pro licensed version of Cruden's Racer (which is also getting an upgrade soon...)

Enjoy!

https://www.box.com/s/1oyhx9ls2ulfam94gpo9
Selezen wrote:
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Neat stuff. I was a motorsport journalist for almost 20 years in California (covered everything from local Figure-8 dirt track racing to Champ Cars to the series now known as MotoGP), and also was a big player of Grand Prix Legends (and rFactor for that matter) -- one of the founding members of the famous GPLEA modding team (I did sounds and detail stuff -- my first modding of GPL was creating realistic tyre textures).

Wish I had gone to the Monterey Historics more often. There was a small historic racing cars meet out here in northern Nevada shortly after I moved here. I shot some video with my crappy old camera but only posted a few of them. Nothing like the Monterey event though. Nothing in North America compares to that -- would have to go to Goodwood, I reckon!

Though I'm no longer a journalist, there is one big racing event I go to since moving out here. I accidentally deleted the videos I shot last here and only have recovered some of them. Here's the fastest class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zil-s-82xdk ... the more historic machines, I think I have recovered most video I had shot, but haven't posted them yet.