Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Distant Suns of Charts 1-8 OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Distant Suns of Chart 1 OXP

Post by Wildeblood »

El Viejo wrote:
Two lines... or all three (as in your example)? Various combinations are not working for this dumb pilot.
In fact, on F7 there seems to be a mix of just stellar classes, and stellar classes and names. More precision, please.
Exactly as in my example. Remove the first line, the first word "else" of the second line, and the the third line. IOW, just leave active:-

Code: Select all

if (colourText) mission.addMessageText("The planet " + name + " orbits a " + colourText + ".");
[Makes note: El Viejo's star to go in bottom left corner of G8, near McLane's star.]
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

So... two lines plus one word. Thank you, it seems fine now.
Make comments like that and I'll just remove the OXP!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

I'm using it along with ZygoUgoCinematicSky and I must say that the effect is stunning. Gives much greater sense of immersion.
Out of curiosity, would it be better getting it to generate the kind of star for each system, instead of manually assign them?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Tichy wrote:
I'm using it along with ZygoUgoCinematicSky and I must say that the effect is stunning. Gives much greater sense of immersion.
Out of curiosity, would it be better getting it to generate the kind of star for each system, instead of manually assign them?
It would be easily done by script, instead of in a planetinfo file. The disadvantages are (1) that it bloats the saved- game files a bit (2) it's not as much fun. I want to put everything into a planetinfo file, so that players who aren't interested in javascript can easily change things to make their ooniverses suit themselves. That's why all the planet names are in the file, even though they aren't used: so if you want to change a particular system, you can easily find where to do it.

(Today I've been adding more star names, but I haven't re-uploaded it yet. All the names I added today are named after Earth rivers: Congo, Donau, Ganges... )
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Nice OXP and it works wit Famous Planets too. :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

I've just uploaded version 0.5 wherein, as well as the changes previously made, I have modified the corona effect of every star in chart 1. I am, however, not at all happy with the results, because although there are various settings for the corona that can be changed, they really only seem to work well with plain white stars. On the other hand, you might think they look great... or awful... there's only one way to tell:-

Download Distant Suns OXP here.

I really would appreciate feedback from anyone who tries out this new version, regarding which stars look good or bad.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Distant Suns of Charts 1-8 OXPs

Post by Wildeblood »

Distant Suns OXP ver. 0.3
Date: December 7th, 2012
Author: Wildeblood

Distant Suns is an OXP for Oolite 1.76 which aims to improve the game experience by increasing the variety of the stellar systems. In unmodified Oolite you soon notice that every star system looks much like every other - there is little, if any, variation of the stars. Distant Suns tweaks the appearance of every star individually. Every star has its colour set. Cooler red stars have their habitable planets close by and are easy to skim for fuel. Super-luminous blue-white stars are far removed from their habitable zone and sun-skimming is impractical. Many stars are named. Information about stars is provided on the system data (F7) screen, and may also be revealed by other OXPs such as Destination ETA.

To use, simply place the Distant Suns OXP into your "AddOns" folder. This is a bundle OXP, it contains the following OXPs inside:-

Distant Suns of Chart 1 OXP, version: 0.6
Distant Suns of Chart 2 OXP, version: 0.1
Distant Suns of Chart 3 OXP, version: 0.1
Distant Suns of Chart 4 OXP, version: 0.1
Distant Suns of Chart 5 OXP, version: 0.1
Distant Suns of Chart 6 OXP, version: 0.1
Distant Suns of Chart 7 OXP, version: 0.1
Distant Suns of Chart 8 OXP, version: 0.1
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Downloaded, now that it also applies to all the Eight.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

Very nice. :)
I'm in G1 and so far all stars looked very good.
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Wildeblood wrote:
I've just uploaded version 0.5 wherein, as well as the changes previously made, I have modified the corona effect of every star in chart 1. I am, however, not at all happy with the results, because although there are various settings for the corona that can be changed, they really only seem to work well with plain white stars. On the other hand, you might think they look great... or awful... there's only one way to tell:-

Download Distant Suns OXP here.

I really would appreciate feedback from anyone who tries out this new version, regarding which stars look good or bad.
Ok - I've just had a play with the 0.7 / 0.2 versions , looking at Gal5. I like the variety, the light cast on planets themselves does not seem too bad - but I have noticed that Povray Planets certainly benefit from "cloud_alpha"="0.0". With a more colourful sun , the generally subtle atmosphere layer looks rather odd to me.
Hotblack's-stuntship
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Distant Suns of Charts 1-8 OXPs

Post by Hotblack's-stuntship »

The download link doesn't work.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Hotblack's-stuntship wrote:
I think Wildeblood has unfortunately withdrawn all his OXPs :(.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Solonar
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Solonar »

CommRLock78 wrote:
Hotblack's-stuntship wrote:
I think Wildeblood has unfortunately withdrawn all his OXPs :(.

That's too bad. I am sorry to hear this.. :(

SolarTech proudly presents the Plasma Turret Regulator Device Apparatus, aka the Turret Toggler
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Anyone that has his most recent OXPs, if you'd like to share them someplace, feel free. If you are worried about licensing, I can forward you a PM from him stating that "[you] can do anything [you] want with it." His made some cool OXPs, shame for the community to be deprived of them.

If you have no way of hosting it, or need space, I can make some available on DHI.com.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Anyone that has his most recent OXPs, if you'd like to share them someplace, feel free. If you are worried about licensing, I can forward you a PM from him stating that "[you] can do anything [you] want with it." His made some cool OXPs, shame for the community to be deprived of them.

If you have no way of hosting it, or need space, I can make some available on DHI.com.
I've started a thread to collate all the new links in one place, and uploaded the 4 Wildeblood OXPs I have to kick it off. See here:

Edit: thread removed pending confirmation of Wildeblood's position on this.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied