Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Flyby View

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Wirenut
Average
Average

Flyby View

Post by Wirenut »

Pretty sure i know the answer but is there no flyby view?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Flyby View

Post by cim »

No, not at the moment. The next version will make it easy for someone to write an OXP that adds one, though.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I looked into the possibilities of doing so with existing tech. It was not pretty.
The maths relating to camera control is relatively easy to find, the problem is the method of implementation using Quartonions.

It could be done but if cim has a fix in the wings then I defer to his much better judgement.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

cim wrote:
No, not at the moment. The next version will make it easy for someone to write an OXP that adds one, though.
If anyone makes this OXP can i request some sort of station docking bay viewpoint looking out of the bay towards your ship when it's under docking computer control? some sort of viewpoint like Tichy chose here in the screenshots thread
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 79#p186579 would be awsome :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I've found using the right-rear and left-rear views can give some good docking shots. This is one I took recently of the (slightly beat-up!) Bilbo Maru docking at Xetila.

Also the front view when you are very close gets some of the dock in the image as well.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

that does look good! Do you think it might be possible to 'detach' the camera from the players ship when it's under docking computer control and position it inside the docking bay looking back out at your ship as it glides/scrapes its way into the bay, sort of like a 'port authority office window' viewpoint or something?
Hmm, now i've written it out, it sounds like it would be a scripting nightmare to get the camera to track the ship etc :(
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Griff wrote:
that does look good! Do you think it might be possible to 'detach' the camera from the players ship when it's under docking computer control and position it inside the docking bay looking back out at your ship as it glides/scrapes its way into the bay, sort of like a 'port authority office window' viewpoint or something?
Hmm, now i've written it out, it sounds like it would be a scripting nightmare to get the camera to track the ship etc :(
It takes a little bit of work to get your head round all the quaternions, but that only needs doing once. I put this one together a few months ago: Missile Cam (trunk only)

With a little bit of work I can probably turn it into a camera library: specify the camera position and the point in space you want to look at, and it handles the tracking for you.

I did have a go at a docking camera at the time, so I've probably got the code for that to dig out, somewhere.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

That sounds awesome! Don't divert too much of your dev time into it though cim, you've probably got more than enough on your plate - it was just a throwaway wish-list idea i had after seeing Tichy's new screenshots in the thread :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

That's a wish-list item lots of people have had for a long time.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

Would it be possible to use the mouse (or trackball/trackpad/nipple) to control the viewpoint of the external view (in an OXP for the next Oolite version)?

I play by keyboard, I know many people use joysticks or controllers. I don't know if anybody is using the mouse to steer his/her/its ship, but it would be awesome to have a dynamic outside view and the mouse seems to be the best way to change the viewing angle & the mouse wheel to change the viewing distance.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'm planning on having a play with this tonight, or sometime soon although it is one of the Thargon's birthdays tomorrow so most of the weekend is a no-no.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thargoid wrote:
...it is one of the Thargon's birthdays tomorrow so most of the weekend is a no-no.
<Smivs understands and offers some (totally useless) moral support and sympathy>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Griff wrote:
That sounds awesome! Don't divert too much of your dev time into it though cim, you've probably got more than enough on your plate - it was just a throwaway wish-list idea i had after seeing Tichy's new screenshots in the thread :D
Ah, it only took an hour with the code I already had, and quite a bit of that was trying out the various cameras.

Camera Drones (trunk only: will not work with 1.76)
- missile camera view
- flyby view
- docking bay view
- target camera view
...and extensible by other OXPs to add extra views.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

cim wrote:
Ah, it only took an hour with the code I already had, and quite a bit of that was trying out the various cameras.

Camera Drones (trunk only: will not work with 1.76)
Looks really cool, cim :-)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

A variant on the theme is Tracker Cam (again for 1.77 only).

It's based on Cim's core script code (as quaternions tie my brain in knots too) but comes in the form of a pylon-mounted camera satellite plus ship-to-satellite communications rig (50cr each, from tech 3+). Works in a similar way to Cim's ones - deploy the satellite, activate the link (shift-N/n) and then select the ships custom view (v) to show the view.

Works within scanner range, and is a stationary viewpoint that always focuses on the player ship. The ship is flown in the normal fashion, but as you view it from outside it can take a bit of practice to do so.

Not really designed for general game-play, but should be good for ooTube clips.