Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

lost details

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

everill
Poor
Poor

lost details

Post by everill »

My commanders details seem to have vanished from the start up sequence so cannot get back into my Cobra. Any ideas how I can recover them?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: lost details

Post by Smivs »

Hi everill, and welcome, although i see you've been around for a few months :)
Sounds like your save file has gone AWOL - is that right, you press 'Yes' when it says Load Commander, but your Commander is not listed?
The first thing to do is check in your 'Saves' folder to see if it is there. Have you done anything (moved/deleted stuff) that might have caused this?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
everill
Poor
Poor

Post by everill »

Yep. No sign of any commanders after pressing Y

I had downloaded 3 OXP'S BGS -A1.5, CONFIG 2 and CABAL COMMON LIBRARY but next time I went to start up had a message saying none of these OXP'S were compatible with version 1.76(1) so I deleted them back of the system then when I tried to get back into the game no Commander.
I have not had any problems with any other OXP
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hmmm, removing the OXPs shouldn't have affected the save-file which stores your Commander details. They are kept in different places, the OXPs in the 'AddOns' folder and the save-file which should be in 'oolite-saves'. The actual location of these varies a bit depending on O/S but they are always kept apart. Can you find your 'oolite-saves' folder?
everill
Poor
Poor

Post by everill »

The saves file only contains some snapshots nothing else
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

That's the right folder alright, which is bad news I fear as it does suggest that somehow your Commander has been lost :( I really can't see how that could happen either, which is no help to you I know.
I'm at a loss as to what I can suggest from here - if it's gone it's gone. Maybe somebody else may come along with some thoughts, so keep watching.
It might help if you can let us know what O/S you are using, and I suppose it might be worth a system search for your save if you know what it was called. It will be in the format 'Commander-name.oolite-save'. Just in case it has mysteriously moved to another file or folder somewhere.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

everill - Have you checked your recycle bin just in case you accidently deleted the file ?
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
everill
Poor
Poor

Post by everill »

Yes checked that nothing there.
Have now started again from the begining but there is still no details in the saves folder maybe I have a problem when I save before leaving the game.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Smivs wrote:
It might help if you can let us know what O/S you are using.
+1

And welcome onboard, everill .-)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

everill wrote:
I had downloaded 3 OXP'S BGS -A1.5, CONFIG 2 and CABAL COMMON LIBRARY but next time I went to start up had a message saying none of these OXP'S were compatible with version 1.76(1)
You probably need to get the latest versions of these OXPs. Get them from the wiki's [wiki]OXP List[/wiki].
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
everill
Poor
Poor

Post by everill »

computer system is the windows vista
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

So I guess you are running Oolite v1.76.
Most OXPs will run with it, but a few (like the above mentioned BGS, CCL and OXPCOnfig) will need the latest stable version v1.76.1 which can be downloaded via BerliOS -> Oolite-1.76.1.exe.

It doesn't explain why your savedgame disappeared though, but Vista rings a bell -> see https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8793&start=5
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Svengali wrote:
Most OXPs will run with it, but a few (like the above mentioned BGS, CCL and OXPCOnfig) will need the latest stable version v1.76.1 which can be downloaded via BerliOS -> Oolite-1.76.1.exe.

It doesn't explain why your savedgame disappeared though, but Vista rings a bell -> see https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8793&start=5
Full explanation on the wiki for Vista ( and maybe Win7 and Win8 )...
Image Running Oolite-Windows - Important note for Vista users
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Svengali wrote:

I suspect he may have accidentally downloaded your 1.77 trunk beta's by mistake perhaps?
everill
Poor
Poor

Post by everill »

Thanks for your replys but it looks like my commander has disappeared into witchspace.
It had taken about 6 months to get to deadly 4000+ kills so now starting all over again hopefully will be a bit quicker with the past experience.
One last point I had originally loaded onto my program files and as svengali suggested all the files were scattered everywhere so have collected them all together on the games folder and this includes a saves file with my new commander definitely there!!!