Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[RELEASE] 249th Naval Reserve Wing OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] 249th Naval Reserve Wing OXP

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander McLane wrote:
there's nothing to prevent either player or NPCs from docking.
Excessive quantities of hostile fire is usually effective.. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Commander McLane wrote:
In Oolite a docking bay is a docking bay. There is no difference in this regard between player and NPCs. And while you can prevent stations from randomly launching ships via the Image has_npc_traffic key, there's nothing to prevent either player or NPCs from docking.
The next version will have [EliteWiki] more flexibility in this area, allowing docking bays to be designated for particular forms of traffic and optionally take offence at unauthorised docking.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Shipbuilder wrote:
How big is the ship intended to be?

It appears to have landing bays. Will this be for player and NPC ships?

One suggestion that I would make is that you carefully consider both the energy level and recharge rate as I have found with some large capital type ships previously that you can install a military laser or two on a very weak ship and simply shoot at the capital ship from distance until it is destroyed effectively making a large powerful ship an easy kill.

What I believe that you would want is that the presence of a capital ship would instil a sense of apprehension or fear (Much more like a black monk ship).
If the ship will be too sow and not manoeuvrable enough to perform a dogfighting role, (As I expect is and should be the case), then the provision of strong shields, a good recharge rate and the ability to launch a number of defensive fighters would help to rebalance things.

This was in the plan. I'll be stress-testing this ship with Factions OXP. The landing bays would be intended for both player and NPC.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Tricky wrote:
Hold that thought! All of you! I'm currently rewriting all the system AIs to conform with an OXP that should do what you are talking about. Actually I started this in response to Rese249er PMing me about such a thing for the 249th.
Unfortunately the [EliteWiki] Friend or Foe OXP is not currently able to be used with the 249th. Not with the police ships anyway. I can make it so that the police ships remember previous attackers even if they run away out of scanner range, but not ignore friendly shots.
Rese249er wrote:
Tricky, I'm not sure I understand how to use this... Is there only one "friendly" group?
Friend or Foe was designed to be similar to this: [Wikipedia] Identification friend or foe

Currently if you attack a group of traders then run away, they will forget about you if you come back. Not with [EliteWiki] Friend or Foe OXP.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wiki page now up: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/249th_ ... e_Wing_OXP

I intend to add pictures.

1) If anybody can provide a critique, or a gameplay/balance rating, it would be appreciated, thanks!

2) With this, HIMSN, the Galactic Navy collection of OXPs (5+), and the odd naval ship here and there (Star Wars ships, Simon B's behemoth, ...) I wonder if a Navy oxp category would make sense for our wiki?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?