Lonely Moray

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

MtKlima
Dangerous
Dangerous

Lonely Moray

Post by MtKlima »

Here's the story:

I'm in Riardi (Gal2, Extreme SW corner) smacking around a Worm, while debating my next course of action, when a Moray Medical Boat comes out of the station. I think to myself "Great, I'll just hang back and follow this guy for a while, and when he jumps I can use his wormhole and end up in one of two systems with a full tank of fuel."

He sets off, away from the station, at roughly 2/3 speed, I identify him and follow him at a close distance. He is aimed at the Sun. I get a phone call, get distracted, and go outside for a smoke. When I return, a half hour later, He is still aimed at the Sun. Now I am determined to see this out to the bitter end. After another 15 minutes, my temperature blows the Mercury out of my Thermometer and I die.

Here is why I wrote:
I just wanted to make a friend in space. Why didn't he reach out. I understand the driving force of depression, but all he had to do was pick up his com mic and say "Hey, I'm thinking of ending it all, do you have a moment to chat?". Instead, he is drowning his sorrows by himself (never a good idea) and aiming at the sun.

This is not AI, this is Artificial Dumbness.

Then again, it was me and my Huntsman that blew up, as he morosely, and slowly, flew on. Perhaps this was a brilliant strategic move on Mr. Moray's part. Just fly, numbingly slowly, at the sun until this gent in the souped up ship that is following me gets lulled to sleep by the space dust going by, and eventually after 45 minutes, my "Huntsman Problem" will take care of itself.

Sorry for the long note, this just gnawed at me for the last day. Thanks
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Re: Lonely Moray

Post by aegidian »

MtKlima wrote:
This is not AI, this is Artificial Dumbness.
8)

I ought to make sure traders going sunskimming have fuel-injectors and use them!
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Alien
Average
Average

Post by Alien »

Not exactly the same problem, but :

Where can I find the special equipment to resist against novae, as some ship seem to have when I come in such system ?
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Alien wrote:
Where can I find the special equipment to resist against novae, as some ship seem to have when I come in such system ?
Is this after the Nova explosion?

Alien
Average
Average

Post by Alien »

Yes

I came across a novae system (after explosion) with some special cobra wich does not seem's to have any problem with novae.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Ah yes. I can see how that might happen. It shouldn't. Ships should only be in that system momentarily, just while they fire up their drives again.

Fixed for v1.62release.