Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite on Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 1 works without major tweaks!

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oolite on Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 1 works without major tweaks!

Post by RyanHoots »

Okay, the moment I've been longing for since Ubuntu 11.04 came out is finally here. Oolite 1.76 works with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 1 on my computer, without any system modifications or buggy gameplay. I installed the latest Ubuntu beta just like I do every six months, as I like to keep track of Ubuntu updates, and to my delight, I didn't have to do anything to get Oolite to run, with shaders and fullscreen and everything. Hopefully, the final release of 12.10 next month will end Oolite compatibility issues on Ubuntu once and for all. :D
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite on Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 1 works without major tweaks

Post by m4r35n357 »

Yeah, I think it's mainly a due to Debian finally fixing the broken GnuStep libraries that they used to ship, and these filtering in to Ubuntu et al. Good news all round!
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

m4r35n357 wrote:
Yeah, I think it's mainly a due to Debian finally fixing the broken GnuStep libraries that they used to ship, and these filtering in to Ubuntu et al. Good news all round!
Ah, that makes sense. If GNUstep's messed up, Oolite would be, too. Well, at least people will stop having Oolite issues on Ubuntu, or any other distro that used the bad libraries.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

RyanHoots wrote:
m4r35n357 wrote:
Ah, that makes sense. If GNUstep's messed up, Oolite would be, too. Well, at least people will stop having Oolite issues on Ubuntu, or any other distro that used the bad libraries.
In defense of all OS's in question here, I believe that hardware causes more issues than "broken" libraries. For example, Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric) did not need any tweaks on two machines, however, Mint 12 (Lisa) did need tweaks for the two machines. On to Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) - squirrelly on the only machine I tested it on. Mint 13 (Maya) no tweaks to two machines - then got an old Dell Latitude D400 and installed Maya, low and behold, it needed tweaks.
So, I think hardware has much more to do with a buggy Oolite than anything. But it is cool that a beta is working right out of the box. If Ubuntu were as refined as Mint I might just still be running it today (although I like that the Mint forums don't make you eat a bag of dicks in order to participate fully ;))
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Just to be absolutely clear, the gnustep bug was never about crashes or instability, it merely prevented the packaged version of the game from working ;)
All my recent comments regarding this have been about the Debian/Ubuntu packages, sorry if I gave the wrong impression!
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

I'm pretty sure there's something other going on with Ubuntu. I entered the arena sporting Oneiric 11.10 and ended up at 12.04 with all the updates on a twin core laptop and downwards to single core machines a la native and proprietary AMD and ATI video hardware and the game played less well on stock Ubuntu than Debian or Fedora or Win7 at 1.76 :shock: From what I've seen/heard Ubuntu is also outperformed when playing internet based games like Farmville and so forth by Win7. It's great if they've finally fixed that as Ubuntu is very popular :D

ATM I'm trying to get Oolite running on Puppy, no joy but I found a thread here that explains why and what to do about that but I haven't nearly absorbed :oops: Still, it gives me something to ponder. OS maintained in RAM! Love puppy

Gotta try SliTaz as I read it's tiny by comparison. I almost tremble with anticipation :mrgreen:
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Greyth wrote:
ATM I'm trying to get Oolite running on Puppy, no joy but I found a thread here that explains why and what to do about that but I haven't nearly absorbed :oops: Still, it gives me something to ponder. OS maintained in RAM! Love puppy
Puppy, eh? I never did try and install Oolite on Tiny Core (though that was Tiny Core Plus, installed onto the drive in a VM). Makes me want to try again, the one problem is I haven't been able to connect any Virualbox machine to the internet in a couple of months.... disappointing really, since I was just getting into playing around with OpenSUSE right about the same time this behavior started.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

SliTaz is fantastic but doesn't cope with multiple NIC's let alone static routes :( I'm off to try Mint :lol:
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by kcallis »

Ok, so is there a deb available to get Oolite working under 12.10 or do I have to do do it from source or the RUN file?
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

kcallis wrote:
Ok, so is there a deb available to get Oolite working under 12.10 or do I have to do do it from source or the RUN file?
Hmm, I wouldn't bother with 12.10 just yet. I have a second HD on an old dell dimension with 12.10 on it, and I can tell you, the performance is awful (though, I'm sure you know that). I would roll back to 12.04 for a while ;)
kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by kcallis »

CommRLock78 wrote:
kcallis wrote:
Hmm, I wouldn't bother with 12.10 just yet. I have a second HD on an old dell dimension with 12.10 on it, and I can tell you, the performance is awful (though, I'm sure you know that). I would roll back to 12.04 for a while ;)
Actually, I haven't had any real issue with 12.10. Even with all of the virtual guest that I have running. But I haven't run Oolite since 11.04, so the itch is starting to hit me again, and ready to head back into the Omniverse. Galaxy 4 is calling my name and there are some Monks that I need to deal with!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

kcallis wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
kcallis wrote:
Actually, I haven't had any real issue with 12.10. Even with all of the virtual guest that I have running. But I haven't run Oolite since 11.04, so the itch is starting to hit me again, and ready to head back into the Omniverse. Galaxy 4 is calling my name and there are some Monks that I need to deal with!
Black Monk whacking - nice ! :evil: . What kind of issue are you having? Is the game not launching, or is it crashing? Edit: (I've not tried installing Oolite on 12.10 - or any other game for that matter, but Oolite runs just fine, even on that old machine, under Mint 13).
kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by kcallis »

No issues at all... I just haven't tried to install it yet. I was looking to see if there was a .deb file to make things run a little easier or did I just pull down the run file and just call is a day? That is the only thing I was interested in... It has been a while since I last installed and was checking to see if there would be any issue with installing a new installation.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

kcallis wrote:
No issues at all... I just haven't tried to install it yet. I was looking to see if there was a .deb file to make things run a little easier or did I just pull down the run file and just call is a day? That is the only thing I was interested in... It has been a while since I last installed and was checking to see if there would be any issue with installing a new installation.
Probably no issues (I haven't tried myself), as long as you've got descent hardware (GFX card and 2+ GB RAM). You can get the latest version here.
After downloading, open a terminal and type :

Code: Select all

~$ '/path/to/install-file/oolite-1.76.1.linux-x86_64.run'
for a home folder install, or type:

Code: Select all

~$ sudo '/path/to/install-file/oolite-1.76.1.linux-x86_64.run'
for a system wide install.

Edit: Note that the install filename I use in the example is the 64-bit version ;)

Edit 2: This is my 420th post <chuckles>
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

kcallis wrote:
I was looking to see if there was a .deb file to make things run a little easier or did I just pull down the run file and just call is a day?
The latest .deb available via repository is still only 1.75.3

So yes, pull down the run file for 1.76.1 instead.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied