Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Rigebi (G3) stations issue

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ilNibbio
Above Average
Above Average

Rigebi (G3) stations issue

Post by ilNibbio »

I am just arrived in G3, using the naval hyper programmer. I choosed Rigebi for its central position.
Leading to the SecCom, I found that the station is "embodied" with the taxi station. Apparently they occupy the same coordinates, making impossible to dock at the SecCom.
If I try, i bump into the taxi station, located just in stead of the SecCom entry.
I even took a screenshot, but im not able to post it (how can I do it?)
This must be a bug, I assume..
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Rigebi (G3) stations issue

Post by Cody »

ilNibbio wrote:
I even took a screenshot, but im not able to post it (how can I do it?)
Upload the screenshot to a free image hosting site (such as Photobucket), then post the image link from there.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Try jumping out and in again. Alternatively save at the main station, and then quit and restart the game. If the overlapping station positions are just a result of bad random, chances are that it won't happen again next time you enter the system.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

As you suggest, it sounds very much as though they are being spawned in the same location. If this is the case, only a change to one of the OXPs will sort it out.
However, all may not be lost for you. If you have a Docking Computer, try targeting the Sec-Com station, then use the insta-dock feature. This could magically transport you through the Taxi station into the Sec-Com station. No promises, but it's worth a try. Not sure how you'd launch again though :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Smivs wrote:
As you suggest, it sounds very much as though they are being spawned in the same location. If this is the case, only a change to one of the OXPs will sort it out.
However, all may not be lost for you. If you have a Docking Computer, try targeting the Sec-Com station, then use the insta-dock feature. This could magically transport you through the Taxi station into the Sec-Com station. No promises, but it's worth a try. Not sure how you'd launch again though :wink:
Ahem. Insta-dock only exists for main stations.
ilNibbio
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ilNibbio »

the link to my screenshot should be this
(I hope)

http://s1163.photobucket.com/albums/q55 ... ions-1.png

Sry for being so n00b

I checked again.. went to Riquri, back to Rigebi, same situation.

Short-dock works only for the Main Stations, isn't it?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Commander McLane wrote:
Ahem ahem - not since 1.75. Any station or carrier with allows_fast_docking = "yes"; in its shipdata.plist array allows insta-docking too.
ilNibbio
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ilNibbio »

The fast docking procedure is failed.
As I shift-C, "autopilot engaged" and "autopilot disengaged" appears.

But

:D

after flying around this awful creature (body of a taxi station and a head of a SecCom) for a while,
I noticed that they slightly move relatively to each other, so one of the two, or both, gains some distance.
Perhaps in a matter of one hour the Navy station entry will be clear.

edit: lol
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

If they persist at the same position, one of the OXPs should use different spawning coordinates in order to avoid the situation.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
If they persist at the same position, one of the OXPs should use different spawning coordinates in order to avoid the situation.
That is the risk of using very specific locations. I don't know taxi, but the secCom stations are always added at a hight of 2 planet radii from the planet on the line planet-sun. I assume the other oxp also uses that specific location. A 2 planet radii height is also the hight of main stations.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Eric Walch wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
That is the risk of using very specific locations. I don't know taxi, but the secCom stations are always added at a hight of 2 planet radii from the planet on the line planet-sun. I assume the other oxp also uses that specific location. A 2 planet radii height is also the hight of main stations.
I don't know either one, thus my appeal is to both.

I don't know whether this happened here, but this case also illustrates well why it wouldn't be a good idea to copy the spawning routine (including locations) from another OXP.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I can change where the Taxi Station spawns that's no problem. One thing that confuses me though, is that the co-ordinates looked different to me. The Taxi Station co-ordinates are:

Code: Select all

Vector3D(0,0, 0.1).fromCoordinateSystem("psu")
And the Navy SecCom Station's co-ordinates are:

Vector3D(0, 0, 2).fromCoordinateSystem("psp")
So they are using different co-ordinate systems but are producing the same results. I will play around with the co-ordinates of the Taxi Station to find a suitable location for it.

Also, one thing I noticed on this thread:
Commander McLane wrote:
This isn't quite so, you can have insta-dock on any station, providing the following line of code is added to its entry in the shipdata.plist file:

"allows_fast_docking" = "yes";
Which the Taxi Station has, but probably shouldn't as it takes the fun out of docking!
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Pleb wrote:
The Taxi Station co-ordinates are:

Don't both of these use the old (now deprecated) legacy scripting method to position the stations? Perhaps an update is in order anyway.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Pleb wrote:
The Taxi Station co-ordinates are:

So taxi is 10% of distance between planet and sun away from the planet, and seccom is 2 planetary radii away from the planet. Therefore if the sun-planet distance is exactly 20 times the planetary radius, these refer to the same point.

Unfortunately for this situation, the sun-planet distance is determined as an integer multiple of the planetary radius, with the most likely value being ... 20, which occurs in 1 in 5 systems.
Smivs wrote:
Don't both of these use the old (now deprecated) legacy scripting method to position the stations? Perhaps an update is in order anyway.
Not quite. The legacy scripting system allowed positioning in that fashion, but this is non-deprecated JS code that happens to do the same thing.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

The quickest, simplest fix for this until either Taxi Galactica or Galactic Navy are updated, is to add the Sensible Sun micro-OXP. The two stations should then be spawned well apart.

https://www.box.com/s/jopysioop59gbcexsl8e