Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Anyone give the new Privateer remake a spin?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

wthomas33065
Average
Average

Anyone give the new Privateer remake a spin?

Post by wthomas33065 »

Yes, I know this board is for Elite/Oolite fans. But anyone old enough to play elite, must have certainly cut their teeth on Wing Commander Privateer.

Privateer was probably the finest sandbox Elite style game created for the PC. It's clear that Privateer is very much inspired by Elite, and the new open source version looks pretty good as well.

The game can be found here. I might give it a spin. Elite purists may be put off by portions of the game, and the flight dynamics are even more arcadish than Elite was.

But if you were an Elite Fan, I'm guessing some of you liked Privateer as well.

BTW. I have no dog in this fight and haven't tried it yet, but I might give it a download.

http://multi-players-zone.com/wingremake.htm#ggold
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Anyone give the new Privateer remake a spin?

Post by Gimi »

wthomas33065 wrote:
Yes, I know this board is for Elite/Oolite fans. But anyone old enough to play elite, must have certainly cut their teeth on Wing Commander Privateer.
I imagine quite a few of us did try Privateer back in the day. I know I did, and also other instalments in the Wing Commander universe. None of them lasted long on my computer though.

Nevertheless, good find and absolutely of interest, but I do think this thread belongs in Outworld. Mods?
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

Gemini Gold been on the SSC download area for ages. Its not bad at all. Well worth a go if you fancy something different for a wee change. I could never get used to the way the ships handled though. Maybe it was just me :oops:
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Well after this gets moved to the right section, I'd like to give a bit of a warning.

Gemini Gold is based on the flawed Vega Strike engine. By 'flawed' I mean that the AI factions are completely screwy. I'm not sure what the technical terms are, but its a known bug that once the 'retro' or some other piratey faction notices you, you will find them at every port. Even on my very first flight, I helped a trader kill one, and for the rest of my time playing, I had Retro's at every single station. Often 3 or 4 waiting for me to undock. The game became unplayable. Its a known issue, and there is no fix since nobody is working on either VS, or GG.

Shame, it really wasn't a bad game. I'd suggest just buying the original privateer from GOG.com
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Not Oolite related. Moved to Outworld.