Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

I-War 2 style Hud

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

wthomas33065
Average
Average

I-War 2 style Hud

Post by wthomas33065 »

I-War 2 Edge of Chaos has got to be my favorite space sim outside elite. I love the Hud Display and the use of "LaGrange Points" for jumps between systems. The trading aspect of I-War 2 left a lot to be desired as the only trade model was based on piracy and you could not dock with stations to do buying and selling.

I don't want oolite to be I-War 2, but I think an I-War 2 style HUD would be awsome. I especially like the "font" they use and while I still want the scanner to take up the bottom middle of the screen (ala classic elite) to have. I think the weapon status is really cool, the throttle incorporated into the circle surrounding the gunsite.

I have no idea on how to create a hud. If anyone has any ideas, I think this style hud (minus the cockpit struts) would really add some authenticity to the look of this fantastic game.

An example of this for those of you not familiar is found here:
http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/oped/hap ... nce-war-2/

If any of you HUD artists have any tips, and are willing to work with a total noob, I'd be willing to start investigating it.

Also, if you have a favorite HUD, let me know. I'm currently using the Numeric style HUD, and it's great but not quite what I'm looking for.....
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: I-War 2 style Hud

Post by Smivs »

Yeah, those struts would drive me bonkers in no time! The 'Conventional Wisdom' in Elite/Oolite is that you're not looking out of a cockpit, but at a screen in a control room.
That's quite a nice HUD on the whole, although I'm not sure I'd like the info scattered around that much, and am wary of too much in your line of sight...I'd rather be looking at my next victim than lots of readouts.
I think CSOTB has done some 'circular' readouts...I expect he'll be along later and may be able to advise you.
My personal preference is my own OXP Combat HUD which is nothing like that one but is instead just a tidied-up and re-arranged variant of the default HUD.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
wthomas33065
Average
Average

Post by wthomas33065 »

Of course the gunsight is not there because in the game the guns locked onto the target. So you would need to add a sight.

Also IWAR 2 had the option of turning off the cockpit internals.

I like the missile warning icon that showed an incoming missile, and there was a cabin temp annunciator that appeared as well.

These could easily be transfered to OOlite. The Gatling cannons on the screenshots were your primary cannons, so you could change that to show your weapon temperature instead. And the shield annunciators on on the right were really cool to.

I like the old retro computer font, the most. It makes the whole thing seem very "military like". Much like a modern jet fighter. If someone had something that had that same feel of a HUD on a modern Jet Fighter, that's what I'm looking for.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

wthomas33065 wrote:
...I'm currently using the Numeric style HUD, and it's great.....
:)

Have you checked out my chupacabrahud? The chupacabrahud2 WIP will take it to the next level using all the new capabilities of oolite 1.77 and may be what you are looking for.

It's a lot of work and currently on hold as I explore the recently added oolite 1.77 possibilities of custom lasers by oxp. It's like freakin' christmas in may around here. :D

Thank you devs! 8)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I like this OXP idea a lot (and I know this is really old)...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

That makes 3 old HUD threads you've resurrected in as many hours.. something tells me you're in the market for a new HUD.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Diziet Sma wrote:
That makes 3 old HUD threads you've resurrected in as many hours.. something tells me you're in the market for a new HUD.. :wink:
Definitely, and I just watched a few E:D and Oolite games and got sad that I won't be able to play for a month.