Question about /branches/1.76-maintenance/

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Question about /branches/1.76-maintenance/

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Hi,

Just wondering how the /1.76-maintenance/ branch in the source works?

For example I note that Ahruman's fix to the log command in r4788 has been applied to both
/trunk/src/Core/Scripting/OOJSGlobal.m and /branches/1.76-maintenance/src/Core/Scripting/OOJSGlobal.m.

Is there an automatic update of the current 1.76 installers, or a periodic manual update? How would an end user go about compiling an up to date /1.76-maintenance/ build?
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Question about /branches/1.76-maintenance/

Post by Eric Walch »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
Is there an automatic update of the current 1.76 installers, or a periodic manual update? How would an end user go about compiling an up to date /1.76-maintenance/ build?
There is no automatic update. All bugfixes we found for 1.76 go to both trunk and 1.76-maintenance. With Xcode, I don't think it is possible to commit to both in one command, so I always have to make two commits, but Ahruman has more experience/better tools to do it in one. :P

Anyhow, at some point the /1.76-maintenance/ will be turned in a 1.76.1 release. At least when the updates are worth while. When you look back to the maintenance branches of older releases you'll see that they regularly had bugfixes added after the latest release.
How would an end user go about compiling an up to date /1.76-maintenance/ build?
The same way you build from trunk. Only now you have a more bugfree 1.76 version instead of a trunk that might have all kind of new bugs because of the new features being added. :lol:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
Just wondering how the /1.76-maintenance/ branch in the source works?
1.76-maintenance is a branch that accepts only bug fixes. While we check-in both bug fixes and new features in trunk, we only do the bug fixes part on maintenance. When we have reasons to believe that most of the known bugs have been successfully closed and no more are likely to be found (yeah, right), a 1.76.1 release will come out of the maintenance branch, as Eric stated above. If more bugs are fixed after that release, the fixes will continue going on maintenance and a 1.76.2 will come out and so on and so forth.
How would an end user go about compiling an up to date /1.76-maintenance/ build?
Same as trunk compile, but you check out the maintenance branch instead of the trunk, like this:

Code: Select all

svn co http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/oolite-linux/branches/1.76-mainenance
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Thanks gentlemen - all my questions answered - :)
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1