GalCop is opposed to bounty hunting

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

GalCop is opposed to bounty hunting

Post by Commander McLane »

Did you know? :?:

I just figured it out: If you spawn a ship with role "hunter" in the station aegis via the debug menu, chances are that it instantly gets a bounty of 20, 50, or 200 credits. This doesn't seem to happen outside of the aegis.

Haven't tried yet whether it happens as well if the ship gets spawned by script. On the other hand, the spawn menu is just a shortcut for a script command, isn't it?

First I thought one of my OXPs had messed something up, but I also tried without any OXPs except Debug.oxp installed. This must be hardcoded.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: GalCop is opposed to bounty hunting

Post by Cody »

I rather like the notion of GalCop being 'officially' disapproving of bounty-hunters.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
I rather like the notion of GalCop being 'officially' disapproving of bounty-hunters.
Agree, but fugitive is a bit rough, offender seems more plausible.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

So they place bounties on criminals, then disapprove of bounty-hunters? Sounds a bit hypocritical to me :o
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Yes, it is a somehow appealing notion, but it's not something I would've ever guessed.

I just stumbled across it by accident, because I needed to spawn a bounty hunter for a small test an found myself wondering "huh, why is that ship an offender?". So I spawned another one, and that was fugitive. Took me a couple of attempts until I got a clean one.

So my curiosity was fired up and I did some more tests, outside the aegis, and without OXPs. The results are the findings presented above.

Also, it begs the question: How do GalCop identify bounty hunters? And what about the player, if they pursue a bounty hunting career?

So in the end I'd rather call it a bug, or at least an oddity.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

That sounds like a pure bug to me.

Do random scavengers and miners spawned near the main station have a bounty as well?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
I just stumbled across it by accident, because I needed to spawn a bounty hunter for a small test an found myself wondering "huh, why is that ship an offender?". So I spawned another one, and that was fugitive. Took me a couple of attempts until I got a clean one.
I can't reproduce this. I only get clean hunters. The only ones with bounties are those that have explicit set a bounty in shipData, like the 'Imp Courier' and the 'Mosqito Sport' etc. But there its a choice of the author to give them bounties.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Eric Walch wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
I can't reproduce this. I only get clean hunters. The only ones with bounties are those that have explicit set a bounty in shipData, like the 'Imp Courier' and the 'Mosqito Sport' etc. But there its a choice of the author to give them bounties.
Yes, indeed. It's the shipdata-bounties. The ordinary Cobby III (cobra3-pirate) gets a bounty when spawned as a hunter. It has bounty = 50; and roles = "pirate hunter"; defined. And it has nothing do with the aegis. Now that I knew that the shipdata-bounty was the culprit I could spawn one outside the aegis, and it had a bounty.

However, this means that all script-spawned hunters suffer from this. There are quite a lot of ships which have roles = "pirate hunter"; and a bounty defined. autoAI takes care that they don't get pirateAI if spawned as a hunter. The system populator also nullifies their bounties if spawned as a hunter (just checked that). Script ship adding commands, however, do set the correct AI, but don't nullify shipdata bounties.