Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

1.76 on Ubuntu - package updates needed

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

1.76 on Ubuntu - package updates needed

Post by SandJ »

The current version of Oolite is 1.76

1. The current LTS (Long Term Support) version of Ubuntu is 10.04 ("Lucid"). The associated version of the Oolite package for 10.04 is still 1.65-6build2. Shouldn't that be updated to point to a v1.76 package since 10.04 is a current version of Ubuntu?

2. The current latest version of Ubuntu is 11.10 ("Oneiric"). The associated version of the Oolite package for 11.10 us 1.75.3-1ubuntu1. Shouldn't that be updated to a v1.76 package?

3. Once upon a time (2009) someone maintained helpful Debian packages / Ubuntu pages on the oolite.org site which go up to Ubuntu 10.10 It my be worthwhile either updating or deleting those web pages (since they come up in Google searches).

It is a shame that the friendliest of Linuxes (IMHO) is not pointing at the stable Oolite, and I'd fix that if I knew how.

Links:
Search for Ubuntu oolite packages
Oolite Debian Packages on oolite.org
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
ulaidian
Competent
Competent

Re: 1.76 on Ubuntu - package updates needed

Post by ulaidian »

It was actually via Ubuntu that I came to discover this.. although I then had to remove it, and download the newest edition.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

ulaidian wrote:
It was actually via Ubuntu that I came to discover this.. although I then had to remove it, and download the newest edition.
Ditto. I would probably have never known about Oolite had I not found it when I scrolled through the list of all the games that could be installed on Ubuntu.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Uh, that'd me being lazy and thinking nobody was using the old repository anymore.

Can't do much about the official repositories as I'm not a Debian/Ubuntu maintainer, but I'll see about updating the Oolite repository as it seems there's still interest.

A problem there is that for the older distro's the package also needs to update the distro version of GnuStep, which will then potentially break any other packages which rely on GnuStep.

The generic Oolite Linux Installer installs its own copy of GnuStep which doesn't interfere with the distro packages, so it's the recommended way.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.