Observation on equipment energy requirements

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Observation on equipment energy requirements

Post by maik »

Outstanding google skills, Eric-san! :D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Yes, that's about it. I originally created this classification system some years ago by making it up....... I think there may be an old thread with some discussion about it still lingering on the lower levels of the boards.
It is more than a few years back and it were not five levels. :)
Well, four-and-a-half technically counts as "a few", doesn't it? :wink: Still, it's a considerable time since my career choice shifted away from "wiki wizard". :)

I wouldn't have remembered that I created only four levels, though. Well, that leaves those who are busy with it now with choosing how many levels they want to adapt. As I said, it's not canonical anyway.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Eric Walch wrote:
It shows clearly that the military laser is only 20% stronger than the beam laser. And not twice as strong. That is like any high end stuff: For just a bit more power, you must pay a awful lot more. :P
I believe you're mixing up energy consumption for damage-dealing ability, as I don't see that info listed in your post to support such a conclusion...
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Range and damage are defined elsewhere in the source (ShipEntity - about half way down the page). I won't post the code chunk but suffice to say that for the cost of an extra 20% energy per shot you get double the range, and just over 50% more damage from a military laser compared to a beam laser.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Switeck wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
It shows clearly that the military laser is only 20% stronger than the beam laser. And not twice as strong. That is like any high end stuff: For just a bit more power, you must pay a awful lot more. :P
I believe you're mixing up energy consumption for damage-dealing ability, as I don't see that info listed in your post to support such a conclusion...
You are right, that code only defines energy consumption and that was 20% higher. :D But as a good scientist that believes in the universal laws about energy conservation I assumed as fact that:
[size=150]energy output + heat_up ≈ energy_input[/size]. And as heat_up is identical for both......
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Eric Walch wrote:
And as heat_up is identical for both......
I guess you are paying for a higher efficiency of ship energy to laser energy/damage with a mil laser, along with more efficient dissipation of excess heat.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Commander McLane wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Yes, that's about it. I originally created this classification system some years ago by making it up....... I think there may be an old thread with some discussion about it still lingering on the lower levels of the boards.
It is more than a few years back and it were not five levels. :)
Well, four-and-a-half technically counts as "a few", doesn't it? :wink: Still, it's a considerable time since my career choice shifted away from "wiki wizard". :)

I wouldn't have remembered that I created only four levels, though. Well, that leaves those who are busy with it now with choosing how many levels they want to adapt. As I said, it's not canonical anyway.
In my sandbox I created a template that applies your classification of energy recharge rates and included it in the Infobox ShipStats Oolite template. So far I modified the Adder and the All Stars Large Freighter, all others still classify themselves and thus show an error.

The template is only based on the Parser Functions extension which already exists in the Elite Wiki. Useful?