Please use the wiki for OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

After investigating a lot of ships (though not yet all of them) I'll go for the following classification of energy_recharge_rate:
  • poor (0.0..2.4)
  • medium (2.5..3.4)
  • good (3.5..4.4)
  • excellent (4.5..infinity)
This covers the whole range even in the original set, where the Fer-de-Lance (4.5), the Constrictor (5.0) and the Viper Interceptor (6.0) have an excellent energy_recharge_rate, distinguishing them from the other ships.

In fact, even in OXPs there are very, very few ships exceeding a rate of 6.0. (The only ones I found so far are some formidable ships in Assassins, that are not available for the player anyway. (And all of the All-stars ships are pretty good, with recharge rates of 4.75.))

Of all real ships (of course asteroids have a rate of 0.0, but they don't count) the Shuttle has the poorest rate (1.0), then follow the Adder, Sidewinder and Worm (and notably the Escape Pod) with 2.0, which I consider as poor.

In the medium range are the Annie (3.0), Boa (3.0) and BCC (3.2), Cobra1 (2.5; the pirate version however is good with 3.75), Krait (2.5), Mamba (3.0), Moray (3.0; the player medical version only 2.75), Python (2.5; pirate version is good with 3.5), Tharglet (3.0) and Transporter (3.0).

In the good range we find the Asp (4.0), Cobra3-player (4.0; interestingly, however, trader Cobbies are weaker with only 2.0, and pirates/hunters etc. 3.0), Gecko (4.0), Thargoid (4.0) and Viper (4.0).

The high-end ships I mentioned above.

The different energy_recharge_rates for different versions of the same ship raise the question which one should be mentioned. But as one of the main purposes of the infobox is to give the player sufficient information to help him decide which ship he wants to buy, it seems obvious to me that the player-version is the one that counts. For pure NPCs I'll take the most common value, if there are varying values.

I hope this system is satisfactory.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

sounds good. nice work!
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
mrtchandler
Average
Average

Post by mrtchandler »

All looks good to me I've started updating the wiki, thanks Winston for creating an account.

One question, from the various posts, are we suggesting that all ships should have the [[Category:Oolite Ships]] added or standard ships only, i.e. no OXP ships?
mrtchandler
Average
Average

Post by mrtchandler »

Okay I'm volunteering to help keep the wiki up to date. Yes scary, fool hardy, I know, but my way of saying thanks for rekindling my interest in Elite nah becoming an Oolite fan
If you have a specific item you want me to maintain let me know, I'm looking at writing a script to use a csv spreadsheet of ships to auto-magically generate the Fastest Ships (Oolite), Largest Ships (Oolite) and Ships (Oolite) output in wiki format that can be pasted in. I've already got a basic script for pulling the various details out of the shipdata.plist and shipyard.plist files to output directly to the spreadsheet, just need to ensure I have a complete list of the oxps.

Any thoughts or hints will be greatly appreciated, and don't forget to send the requests for those you feel need updating first ;)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

mrtchandler wrote:
One question, from the various posts, are we suggesting that all ships should have the [[Category:Oolite Ships]] added or standard ships only, i.e. no OXP ships?
Yes, all ships.

And hope we don't get into each other's way as we both work on ship pages. But I am mainly concerned with the Infobox, and brushing out the occasional typo.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Commander McLane wrote:
and brushing out the occasional typo.
That'd be from my entires most probably.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

mrtchandler wrote:
Okay I'm volunteering to help keep the wiki up to date. Yes scary, fool hardy, I know, but my way of saying thanks for rekindling my interest in Elite nah becoming an Oolite fan
Hey well done matey, all contributions greatly apreciated, you might even get tempted to write an OXP if you're not careful......Oolite is a drug!!!! my internet was down for 6 hours yesterday, so I just had to blast away at those manic out of control battlebots et al
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
mrtchandler wrote:
Yes, all ships.

And hope we don't get into each other's way as we both work on ship pages. But I am mainly concerned with the Infobox, and brushing out the occasional typo.
Note that using the infobox (which you should) will put you in [[Category:Oolite Ships]] automatically, so declaring this separately isn’t needed.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Note that using the infobox (which you should) will put you in [[Category:Oolite Ships]] automatically, so declaring this separately isn’t needed.
Thanks, I didn't know that! :D

Have finished the infoboxes up to the Thargon. Wrote an initial article on that, too. Hope you like it.
mrtchandler
Average
Average

Post by mrtchandler »

That clears up my confusion, re-reading Ahruman original comments I understand the infobox comment made, and also clears up why I asked, as I could see some ships include in [Category:Oolite Ships] but they did not have [[Category:Oolite Ships]] in there entries.

Thanks for the clarification
mrtchandler
Average
Average

Post by mrtchandler »

Write my own OXP, you jest ;) , now there's a thought,

Goes away to thinks up some deceivingly worrying story plot to introduce mayhem and his alter ego conflict
TGHC wrote:
mrtchandler wrote:
Hey well done matey, all contributions greatly apreciated, you might even get tempted to write an OXP if you're not careful......Oolite is a drug!!!! my internet was down for 6 hours yesterday, so I just had to blast away at those manic out of control battlebots et al
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

see you're a hardline already :D
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Hi, mrtchandler, here's a late welcoming from a semiretired spam assassin... Anyway, Iafter a short(ish) absence, saw your name on the list and thought to myself "Blooooooooodd!!!" :twisted: "Here's a sweatshop slave bot who googled for caribbean, yatch, boat, etc. and found a board to spam with chandlery ads!"
I was about to draw my 'Winter Moon' when I noticed that not only you didn' have a website, but had already several posts to you... :oops:

Anyway, welcome to the f(r)indliest board this side of Riedquat! :D
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Hi, mrtchandler, here's a late welcoming from a semiretired spam assassin... Anyway, Iafter a short(ish) absence, saw your name on the list and thought to myself "Blooooooooodd!!!" :twisted: "Here's a sweatshop slave bot who googled for caribbean, yatch, boat, etc. and found a board to spam with chandlery ads!"
I was about to draw my 'Winter Moon' when I noticed that not only you didn' have a website, but had already several posts to you... :oops:
Ahhh, so nice to see I'm not the only one suffering from withdrawal symptoms.....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
mrtchandler
Average
Average

Post by mrtchandler »

Thanks everyone for your kind words, I'm currently trying my best to help debug the various OXP's I'm playing, and update the various wiki pages related to them.

Those cute little trumbles get every where :wink:

Website website oh where for out thou website, to many to mention, to few of value to this topic for the moment :!: