Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OPPS crazy thing happened on the way to station

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

christina
Competent
Competent

OPPS crazy thing happened on the way to station

Post by christina »

I was flying in ,towards a planet, and i saw one of the large hauler ships.i had just added the oxp and wanted to see close up... i flew in behind and saw a docking bay and decided to attempt docking..( harder than a station as it was moving away) as i approached i touched a side wall on entering..
SUddenly the 'big ship' shot off into the distance and from my 'view' i could see my exhaust trails..
i checked my 'view' with F2 and F1 both showed my exhaust trails.. thrusting forward ,in front view -F1- i could see the exhaust trails increase.... decrease. when i tried to dock a second time the same result, the 'big ship' shot off into the distance, MY view in front and rear still showed my exhaust plumes. even when i used my injectors.... same thing happened.. but this time i,m very sure that i entered the docking bay sqaure on,( no mistakes ,no touching walls) yet again the big ship shot off into the distance??

using truck 4668
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Re: OPPS crazy thing happened on the way to station

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Christina, you were the one shooting of into the distance. Sometimes if you gently clip a large (high mass) moving object you 'bounce' off at speed (or in terms of what's happening in the game the collision imparts a velocity to you). Because your ship isn't moving in the direction your thrusters are pushing it the engine plumes will look weird (and may appear to be coming out the front of the ship), until the engine thrust manages to correct the velocity imparted to the collision.

I happens to me occasionally when docking manually in a more gung ho fashion.

Having said that the effect is kind of disconcerting and gives the impression the dock has 'spat' you out as the velocity seems higher than 'normal' physics would cause. Don't know if that is a bug or a feature. Also there may be a problem with the set-up of that particular model's dock that makes it harder than usual to dock cleanly. Which ship and from what OXP was it?
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

If you want to see this more, install my retro-rockets OXP. Then you can have the forward jets at the press of a button ;)

Personally I quite like the effect.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

christina wrote:
I was flying in ,towards a planet, and i saw one of the large hauler ships.i had just added the oxp and wanted to see close up... i flew in behind and saw a docking bay and decided to attempt docking..( harder than a station as it was moving away) as i approached i touched a side wall on entering..
SUddenly the 'big ship' shot off into the distance and from my 'view' i could see my exhaust trails..
You can request docking permission by pressing shift-L. When the AI is programmed right, (in most of the cases), the carrier will give you permission and lower its speed to a full stop.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

If it was one of ADCK's Bulk Haulers, then be careful with using docking computers. Their docks are off centre and the docking computer can scrape you along the floor of the dock.

I've actually removed this OXP from my AddOns recently because of this problem.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!