Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Time Acceleration Not Functioning

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

ngamradt
Poor
Poor

Time Acceleration Not Functioning

Post by ngamradt »

I am running the following version of Oolite:

1.75.3-ubuntu1

When I pause and hit the left/right arrow keys, there is no time acceleration at all. Has this feature been removed in recent releases (or changed in some way)?

I have the following AddOds:

Commies.oxp
default_Jameson_ship_is_griff_scuffed_cobra3.oxp
griff_shipset_all_in_1.oxp
System_Redux.oxp

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Time Acceleration Not Functioning

Post by Cody »

Hi ngamradt, and welcome aboard... try pause, then shift-f, then the arrow keys.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Alternatively you could be running a release configuration build.
TAF is a test/debug feature, not a game feature.

edit- in fact, I'm sure that's the case; the -ubuntu1 build is the 'official' Debian/Ubuntu packaged build and they compile Oolite as a release build, not like the test builds which we have been releasing.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
ngamradt
Poor
Poor

Post by ngamradt »

Thank you for the replies. So there is no way to enable this through an AddOn or something?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I still think removing TAF is a mistake - I don't believe in the Torus Drive - I've always used TAF, this way I'm on a level playing field with NPCs - if TAF goes - I definitely won't be upgrading to future versions of Oolite.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Not my decision.

But if TAF was to become a game feature, I think there needs to be a lot of testing done to ensure you can't warp through stuff and whatnot. Probably also have to automatically flip to "real-time" on Condition Red and suchlike.

Perhaps post MNSR, but for now I don't think it's an option.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I understand - and it was Ahruman's decision before he left to dump the Torus Drive and keep TAF (after said testing) including keeping manoeuvring relative to x1 to stop the ship being twitchy at high TAFs. So I guess I'll be staying where I am then - or downloading and compiling my own debug version (and I've never seen any of the concerns you mention - the AI of the NPCs can get a bit flaky if TAF is at x16 when docking but that's all I've seen)

:(
Selezen wrote:
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
the AI of the NPCs can get a bit flaky if TAF is at x16 when docking but that's all I've seen
Haven't tested this since 1.74.x, but it used to be if you got attacked by a group of pirates, you could give them the slip by bumping the TAF up to x16.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

JazHaz wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
the AI of the NPCs can get a bit flaky if TAF is at x16 when docking but that's all I've seen
Haven't tested this since 1.74.x, but it used to be if you got attacked by a group of pirates, you could give them the slip by bumping the TAF up to x16.
My character runs away on Injectors at the first sign of trouble anyway, so I'd have not seen this (I guess this is related to the AI not being able to keep up with running at 16x its normal calculation rate)
Selezen wrote:
ngamradt
Poor
Poor

Post by ngamradt »

Please let me know if I have to post this as another topic, but I am wondering if the Ubuntu build also has the shift-d (to skip docking) disabled. I added the computers to do autodocking. If I start a docking sequence with the "c" key, it works without issue, but the option to skip the sequence doesn't work. If I do a shift-d after I start the docking, nothing happens at all.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Instant dock is now shift+c, not shift+d.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

What El Viejo said! :)

Actually it's well worth having a look at the reference sheet! ( ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/doc/OoliteRS.pdf in linux, I believe)

There are a few features in 1.75.3 that 1.65 veterans might well not be aware of, like mouse mode, or shift-arrow keys to cycle through all planets found via galactic chart search, and they should all be listed in there! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Problem with TAF as game feature is that people would think that the precision would stay the same and only the game is speeded up. But Oolite already runs at max speed on most computers. Playing with TAF x16 acts the same as playing with a computer that has a 16 times lower FPS value. As stated above will AI and collision detection become much more inaccurate, and that we don't want for the game.
Slowing the game increases the precision and would be no problem, but will be a cheating feature for players during dogfights.

For Debugging its a great feature so I am pleased with the current decision and anybody that wants it can build it from source as it will stay in as code and be active when compiling in debug or testRelease mode.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Eric Walch wrote:
Slowing the game increases the precision and would be no problem, but will be a cheating feature for players during dogfights.
Think of it as if the player had a military "pilots' juice" dispenser rigged to the command chair...

:idea: In-game, the fast forward could be made available with the purchase of a "stardreamer"; the slow option would only be available after buying the "Combat-Enhancing Pharmaceuticals Dispenser" either directly from the navy or in an under-the-table transaction (maybe add a mask to the HUD simulating tunnel vision, which is a side effect of both high adrenaline levels and certain pharmaceuticals).
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
Think of it as if the player had a military "pilots' juice" dispenser rigged to the command chair...

:idea: In-game, the fast forward could be made available with the purchase of a "stardreamer"; the slow option would only be available after buying the "Combat-Enhancing Pharmaceuticals Dispenser" either directly from the navy or in an under-the-table transaction (maybe add a mask to the HUD simulating tunnel vision, which is a side effect of both high adrenaline levels and certain pharmaceuticals).
Love the idea. I think it has been kicked around earlier...