Anne McCaffrey RIP

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Anne McCaffrey RIP

Post by Ironfist »

Very sad to hear that Anne McCaffrey died today at the age of 85. Renown for her Pern series she had a serious impact on scifi fiction. I really like all her stories.

Ironfist
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Anne McCaffrey RIP

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Indeed, Drew already wrote a very touching blog on the subject.

She will be missed.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Sad news indeed! Her "Dragonriders of Pern" series were one of the first sci-fi series of my Dad's that I appropriated and began adding to; he had the older ones, I read them and bought the latest ones. Some fond memories of reading them out on the bench in the garden in the sunshine, eating apples...
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Sad news indeed! Her "Dragonriders of Pern" series were one of the first sci-fi series of my Dad's that I appropriated and began adding to; he had the older ones, I read them and bought the latest ones. Some fond memories of reading them out on the bench in the garden in the sunshine, eating apples...
A familiar story, repeated in many homes, including mine! (Mine tale would also include EE Doc Smith)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Very sad to hear - all my sci-fi/fantasy heroes seem to be dying. Although the Belgariad was my induction to fantasy, Ms. McCaffrey was my introduction to heroic sci-fi.

RIP, and may Thread never find you.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

This is really turning out to be a rough year for people I respect passing on :(

I found Pern through the school library - and spent ages trying to work out which order to read the blasted things in :) Still one of my all-time fave series, at least, until they re-discover their past.

Liked her other series as well.

RIP indeed, Anne McCaffrey.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

To Be Sure, it is a sad, sad day for Sci fi readers.
The Pern series were always close to my heart but she also wrote the pegasus series about Talent and The ship that Sang ... about putting humans into space ships who then act as the "soul" of the ship. To be sure, the Dinosaur planet books brought to our vision of a superior, non fallible, lifeform, The Thek, and how they even managed to screw things up... I loved her humor on that.

Anne is right up there with EE smith, Heinlen, and all the other greats. Rest in peace and may your home: Dragonhold-Undeerhill in Ireland live on as a memorial to your great talents.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

One of my favorite authors - I've lost count at how many times I've read/reread the Dragonriders' series.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I'm with Micha on preferring the earlier Pern books, but brilliant yarns throughout. I just adore the characterisation and try to emulate some of that myself. Blog entry here, btw.

Shame how many of our formative 'greats' are passing on. Passage of time is inevitable of course. :cry:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Nice piece Drew - well worth the read.

Ironfist
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

drew wrote:
I'm with Micha on preferring the earlier Pern books, but brilliant yarns throughout. I just adore the characterisation and try to emulate some of that myself. Blog entry here, btw.
Shame how many of our formative 'greats' are passing on. Passage of time is inevitable of course. :cry:
Cheers,
Drew.
That was an ingesting piece on your blog Drew. I have to admit that I have made the same mistake as you did, until now that is, I thought the Pern books were more fantasy related. I have read her Talent series and enjoyed them. I'm now going to pop over to Amazon to order the Pern books. Thanks.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

drew wrote:
Blog entry
Nice post!

Also, incidentally, I very much liked the earlier Pern books (Landing, etc). as well.
(Spoiler)
I just found the last couple a bit too unbelievable that (a) a feudal society could re-learn advanced technology in the space of a couple of years (even under the tutelage of a Master Control Program, as it were), and (b) that aforesaid technology survived the ravages of how many millenia? In space, possibly, but -hastily- buried in a tropical climate.. well.
Anyway, it was a damn good yarn regardless, one which I should re-read sometime (I have all the books at home in Oz).
Last edited by DaddyHoggy on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the still viewable spoiler...
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.