is it possible to...(or how to)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

is it possible to...(or how to)

Post by commanderxairon »

make a subentity that holds a turret?

make a player multiple front lasered ship?

get ANIMATIONS into oolite?

subentityes that holds exhausts?

make LASER turrets instead of FLAK like ones?

sorry for dont being arround this time... my ISP is messed up, in fact im posting this because is critical and im using a mobile to do so XD

i want to make a more impressive expansion to my shipset if all of that would be possible id like to add gatling like lasers, GINORMOUS Bizmark-Iowa-Yamato-Nelson like ships <not for players, for use with the factions mod as npc's you know... to give a ww2ish sence to it> o.o as many of you know im more the kind of modeller / artist i learn fast how to program but thats it im leeeaaarning and im currently not in the capability of making complicated scripts (i just figured how to effectively make .plists ((using the shipdata schemata in the oolite data :P))) so please forgive my noobness

also im asking all this because id like to make side ship's like equipement if any of you played a little epic megagames game called tyrian, id like to bring much of that game to oolite, sideships, equipement refining and so in future expansions of my shipset... so this is kinda a help wanted post o.o XD
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: is it possible to...(or how to)

Post by RyanHoots »

A gun with multiple rotating barrels might be possible... I'm going to try it... :D
commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

Post by commanderxairon »

aditionally can someone give me an idea of how to use the weapon_range tab on .plists?? (xml please) values and things would be nice it is a positive intergeer? a real value or what?
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

commanderxairon wrote:
make a subentity that holds a turret?
Directly, no. The turret itself is a subent. However, you can sort of kludge it by placing the turret on the subent, though it would look weird when the subent is shot away and the turret isn't, ie a turret hanging around in space close to it's parent.
make a player multiple front lasered ship?
No.
get ANIMATIONS into oolite?
It's been done via shaders and other tricks, so... sorta, yes.
subentityes that holds exhausts?
Not directly, but can be kludged to appear so. I think Oolite treats exhaust flames as special subents; but like the turrets on subents, when your 'engine' subent gets blown off, the flame will hang around unattached and look weird.
make LASER turrets instead of FLAK like ones?
Directly, no. Turrets will always use plasma guns. However, you can give a subent a Thargoid laser, but that would only work for NPCs.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Sub-ents can't themselves have sub-ents. Flashers, turrets and exhausts are all special examples of sub-ents.

For animation, using shaders see YAH and Griff's marvellous con-stores. For doing it by scripting, see my Butterflies demo OXP, or my Stellar Serpents OXP for examples.

Weapon_range if I remember correctly should only apply to turrets and will give their range. I'm not sure if it's fully working, and it's not currently documented in the wiki. It doesn't apply to lasers - their range and damage are hard-coded into the trunk code.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

So, if I make a five-member EVA marines squad, each behaving like a frangible turret, I'd still get exausts for the killed squaddies?

And, if all are killed, the inexistant main entity could then still be flying around with five tiny flames; or maybe I could destroy it if the squad gets wiped out, but until then the flames would still be there?
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
Weapon_range if I remember correctly should only apply to turrets and will give their range. I'm not sure if it's fully working, and it's not currently documented in the wiki. It doesn't apply to lasers - their range and damage are hard-coded into the trunk code.
weapon_range is not* documented at all as you say. As far as I see it, it must be part of the new subentity directory, and defined like fire_rate. Also weapon_energy must be defined in this subentity directory. At least when I read the code correct.

(*: it is documented now)