Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Constrictor hunt more hints problem...

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Constrictor hunt more hints problem...

Post by RyanHoots »

First off, sorry if this is the wrong place or if there is a similar thread... I couldn't find anything so I thought I'd ask.

The Constrictor Hunt has been going well for me, I followed the trail in the F7 screen to G2. Once there, the trail ended. I checked all systems within 7 light years, but no extra clues. I Jumped to each system in turn, to no avail.
I finally installed the more hints OXP, but nothing. In my log, I found that the OXP was loaded, but not the constrictor hunt more hints script. There's no sign of any script from that OXP in the latest.log. I've been searching the general area, and I'm almost ready to give up.
I'm in Orrionti. I'm going to check the OXP for errors.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Constrictor hunt more hints problem...

Post by Switeck »

Are these hints supposed to be on the F7 screen anytime you're in one of the included (in the OXP) systems, or only when you dock at the main station? ...because I'm seeing them without docking.

RyanHoots, which system in G1 did you Galactic Hyperdrive from? ...and are you using anything that modifies how the Gal. Hyp. works, like GalDrivePod? (These might make you appear in a different part of G2 I'm guessing...)
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

As long as you jumped to G2 from the right system (i.e. where you are told he has gone to G2) in G1 you just need to look at systems a little further than 7 LY away for the next clue in the standard mission.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Switeck wrote:
Are these hints supposed to be on the F7 screen anytime you're in one of the included (in the OXP) systems, or only when you dock at the main station? ...because I'm seeing them without docking.
I saw them without docking, while I was in G1. I assumed they'd be the same in G2, but I docked at the 7 light year or less systems anyway.
Switeck wrote:
RyanHoots, which system in G1 did you Galactic Hyperdrive from? ...and are you using anything that modifies how the Gal. Hyp. works, like GalDrivePod? (These might make you appear in a different part of G2 I'm guessing...)
I don't remember which system I jumped from, only the system I jumped to (Orrionti). I don't think I have anything that messes with the Galactic Hyperdrive, but it's possible.

Capt. Murphy wrote:
As long as you jumped to G2 from the right system (i.e. where you are told he has gone to G2) in G1 you just need to look at systems a little further than 7 LY away for the next clue in the standard mission.
I did jump to G2 as soon as I learned I had to, so I'm pretty sure I jumped from the right system. I did check the nearby systems, to no avail. I think I might have an OXP that could have done something to the mission, top suspects are Smivs' Shipset, Accessories, and BGS. I'm going to try removing some OXPs.
My ship is an OXP ship, from Executive Spaceways. It's a modified Trident. Could this be a problem?

Thanks to both of you.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

It is longtime since I hunted down the constrictor, and I have no idea about the more-hints-oxp, so ...
RyanHoots wrote:
The Constrictor Hunt has been going well for me, I followed the trail in the F7 screen to G2. Once there, the trail ended. I checked all systems within 7 light years, but no extra clues. I Jumped to each system in turn, to no avail.
I've been searching the general area, and I'm almost ready to give up.
I'm in Orrionti.
This is normal and supposed to be so, I mean the "feeling lost, sth. must be broken" feeling. It only adds to the excitement once you finally find it. :mrgreen:

Look at what Murphy suggested :
Capt. Murphy wrote:
So, try some more, I'd say.
RyanHoots wrote:
I think I might have an OXP that could have done something to the mission, top suspects are Smivs' Shipset, Accessories, and BGS. I'm going to try removing some OXPs.
My ship is an OXP ship, from Executive Spaceways. It's a modified Trident. Could this be a problem?

Thanks to both of you.
I don't think any of those should be able to break the constrictor hunt.
BGS has been so massively used that I expect all incompatabilities with mission screens having been ironed out.

good luck with it.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

RyanHoots wrote:
I think I might have an OXP that could have done something to the mission, top suspects are Smivs' Shipset, Accessories, and BGS. I'm going to try removing some OXPs.
There's no reason Smivs'Shipset or accessories would affect the constrictor hunt, as they're just retextures. And of course if you remove the Shipset, when you do track it down, you'll miss this :D

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Smivs wrote:
...if you remove the Shipset, when you do track it down, you'll miss this :D

Indeed... I don't want to fight a ship that doesn't look cool. :D
I'm going to continue my search, but I'm still wondering why the More Hints OXP is'n working. But it's probably not a big deal, as long as the Constrictor is still there (somewhere). If I have any more problems, I'll let you guys know.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

It can be really hard to find, so just persevere. It will be out there somewhere :)
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Smivs wrote:
It can be really hard to find, so just persevere. It will be out there somewhere :)
Yeah, that's evident. I checked all systems within 15 LY range, and many within 25 LY range. There's no sign of it. I think there's an error somewhere. Either that, or the Constrictor thief's hiding VERY well. (maybe this is the time when they build the Contractor :lol: ) Time to check my latest.log again...

Edit:
Here are my loaded OXPs (according to the log):

Code: Select all

10:08:07.404 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
    ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources
    AddOns
    AddOns/contractor v4.1.oxp
    AddOns/BGS-A1.3.5.oxp
    AddOns/Police_Scanner_Upgrade.oxp
    AddOns/Another Hud.oxp
    AddOns/Furball-1.0a1.oxp
    AddOns/neocaduceus.oxp
    AddOns/star-jelly v1.1.oxp
    AddOns/Rock_Hermit_Locator1.3.3.oxp
    AddOns/Basic-debug.oxp
    AddOns/Executive Spaceways v2.3(mara).oxp
    AddOns/BoaClipper.oxp
    AddOns/Smivs'Shipset-SD.oxp
    AddOns/Green Gecko v1.0 SA.oxp
    AddOns/YellOo Cabs.oxp
    AddOns/accessoriesV2.0.oxp
    AddOns/Coyote's Run.oxp
    AddOns/Constrictor_morehints.oxp
[/color]
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

You might want to check your save-file as well, as that will have a mission variable regarding this. Just check the mission is not complete, as I believe in theory another NPC can kill the Constrictor if it finds it first. I may be wrong...
Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Trigg »

Are you actually flying to the systems you're checking, or just looking on the map?

Incidentally, I didn't get a decent look at the constrictor before, I kept well away and blasted it from distance :(
Now over 1000 confirmed kills. Bring on the bad guys!
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Smivs wrote:
You might want to check your save-file as well, as that will have a mission variable regarding this. Just check the mission is not complete, as I believe in theory another NPC can kill the Constrictor if it finds it first. I may be wrong...
My savefile's mission variables has some information:

Code: Select all

<key>mission_conhunt</key>
<string>STAGE_1</string>
Either this means I'm in part 1 (or two, depending on if there is a stage 0), or the hunt is over.
As for an NPC killing the Constrictor, I went over the mission's script a while ago, just for fun. The script made it so that the Constrictor is clean (so nobody would try to kill him), until the player is nearby, when it turns fugitive (or offender, I don't remember). As for pirates, I don't think they're programmed to attack Constrictors.

Commander Trigg wrote:
Are you actually flying to the systems you're checking, or just looking on the map?

Incidentally, I didn't get a decent look at the constrictor before, I kept well away and blasted it from distance
If the system's within 7 LY, I've been there. If it's within 10 LY, I may have gone there. Most other systems weren't visited.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Looks OK then. I think 'stage 1' means it's jumped, so it will be out there somewhere
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

I removed all nonessential OXPs from my addons folder, and restarted Oolite with the Shift key held down. Essential OXPs are: BGS, Constrictor Morehints (I'm about ready to remove it), Executive Spaceways (With Mara edit), and Smivs' Shipset. Still no sign of the Constrictor. :(
I think Constrictor Morehints might be broken...
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

I removed all OXPs except Conhunt More hints and reloaded Oolite (I changed my savefile to give myself a different ship to avoid errors). No sign of hints anywhere on the F7 screens for planets on the short range chart.
I then removed the OXP, reloaded oolite, and no change. I even checked my log to make sure there were no OXPs loaded. I think this error (possibly an Oolite bug) is more than I first thought... :cry: