Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

New Player Question...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

MAWL
Above Average
Above Average

New Player Question...

Post by MAWL »

Hi Everyone :mrgreen:

I have just discovered Oolite and I am very pleased to have done so!

I am having a small problem : I cannot exit the station without getting targeted and attacked. I am merely trying to practice docking, and I cant even get a single landing off. Whats worse is when I defend myself often Galcop decides that I am also a criminal and blasts me to pixels. I tried starting some new games but it doesn't seem to help, as soon as I exit the station, the AI voraciously pursues me.

Does anyone have an idea as to how I can correct this behavior? It is preventing me from being able to enjoy the game :(

Thanks for any help.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: New Player Question...

Post by Disembodied »

MAWL wrote:
Hi Everyone :mrgreen:

I have just discovered Oolite and I am very pleased to have done so!

I am having a small problem : I cannot exit the station without getting targeted and attacked. I am merely trying to practice docking, and I cant even get a single landing off. Whats worse is when I defend myself often Galcop decides that I am also a criminal and blasts me to pixels. I tried starting some new games but it doesn't seem to help, as soon as I exit the station, the AI voraciously pursues me.

Does anyone have an idea as to how I can correct this behavior? It is preventing me from being able to enjoy the game :(

Thanks for any help.
Hi MAWL, welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat! Can I ask, do you have anything in your cargo bay when you launch? You know, like slaves, narcotics or firearms? Because launching from a main station with those on board will get you into GalCop's bad books ...

If that's not the case, what version of the game are you running, and what (if any) OXPs do you have installed?
danny_galaga
Above Average
Above Average

Post by danny_galaga »

Carrying slaves caught me out at first too :lol:
SALVAGER ARMY OFFICER
MAWL
Above Average
Above Average

Post by MAWL »

I figured out the...er... problem. Twas I who forgot to remove Griff's script for his Kraits. :oops:

He should rename that OXP the Noob-Killer. That script has prob earned Elite status by now, lol. I've had no problems since removing it and am busy trading and running from pirates.

Thanks for the quick responses, I would have deleted the post but I had to wait for moderation to kick in.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

MAWL wrote:
Twas I who forgot to remove Griff's script for his Kraits.
Hi MAWL and welcome... you should try this version of the Griff Krait... it's much better.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
MAWL
Above Average
Above Average

Post by MAWL »

El Viejo wrote:
Hi MAWL and welcome... you should try this version of the Griff Krait... it's much better.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm downloading it right now.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Welcome MAWL. Nice avatar. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Welcome MAWL. Nice avatar. :)
Trivia time! His av is the player ship from the old 80's arcade game Galaga. :)
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
MAWL
Above Average
Above Average

Post by MAWL »

Thanks much for the welcome! I am finding these boards a delight to read, there are so many intelligent and well-informed players. I've chewed through many games in my day, and I must say I am impressed with the amount of community involvement that Oolite seems to enjoy.

I will add my accolades, and thank all the Devs and OXP writers, as well as the talented modelers who make this game such a boon to discover. So glad I dumped windows last week or I would never have stumbled upon this gem of a game!

:lol: I used to play Galaga(a port) on my NES back in the day, Cmdr Wyvern is correct. Unfortunately, I missed the original Elite. But, having now been made aware of it, the feat of coding it represents is astonishing :shock: I aspire to one day create something as elegant. Hopefully I will have something to offer the community as soon as I can find some time.
danny_galaga
Above Average
Above Average

Post by danny_galaga »

How did I not notice that avatar? :lol:
SALVAGER ARMY OFFICER
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

I like your signature danny_galaga. How is life treating you in the corps by the way. :P
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
danny_galaga
Above Average
Above Average

Post by danny_galaga »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
I like your signature danny_galaga. How is life treating you in the corps by the way. :P
Wondering if anyone would notice! Funny thing is, about that time, I hadn't tried to salvage anything, and I didn't know how, so I just crashed into a container thinking that would do it :lol: Now I know you gotta skim over the top of stuff so your scoop is collecting it...

Mostly trading while ferrying passengers. Only at the 'mostly harmless' level but I'm chuffed to have gotten anything- I sure took a beating in my early encounters with baddies!

I'm sticking with standard Oolite for now, maybe later I'll try one of them there OXP things 8)
SALVAGER ARMY OFFICER
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

danny_galaga wrote:
I'm sticking with standard Oolite for now, maybe later I'll try one of them there OXP things 8)
That's usually a good idea...get used to the 'vanilla' game first. No reason not to make it look prettier though. There are some really nice replacement texture sets that make the ships, other objects and planets look a lot better without having any impact on gameplay.
Take a look here.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
MAWL
Above Average
Above Average

Post by MAWL »

El Viejo wrote:
MAWL wrote:
Twas I who forgot to remove Griff's script for his Kraits.

Does this OXP replace Griff's Krait OXP?
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Thanks much for the welcome! I am finding these boards a delight to read, there are so many intelligent and well-informed players.
Those of us who are stupid and ignorant take a little longer to show up. :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter