Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Neptune's first birthday?

Post by Cody »

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
tonycro
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Neptune's first birthday?

Post by tonycro »

wonderful demonstration of what physics can do - we know its there casue newtons laws says it must be, and hay presto it is 8)
Learn from the mistakes of others, life is too short to make them all your self !
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nice on EV!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Why they're so excited about all this in Northern Ireland, I can't imagine ...
Cody

Post by Cody »

<chuckles>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

tonycro wrote:
wonderful demonstration of what physics can do - we know its there casue newtons laws says it must be, and hay presto it is 8)
The corollary being that they used exactly the same physics to predict the location of Pluto based on observed perturbations in Neptune's orbit, found Pluto, found it was too small to cause the perturbations, re-did the observations and found no perturbations. 8)

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

drew wrote:
tonycro wrote:
The corollary being that they used exactly the same physics to predict the location of Pluto based on observed perturbations in Neptune's orbit, found Pluto, found it was too small to cause the perturbations, re-did the observations and found no perturbations. 8)

Cheers,

Drew.
How can you find a planet using evidence that doesn't exist? With the exception that "god told you" and trying to hide that event I smell a fish.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
How can you find a planet using evidence that doesn't exist? With the exception that "god told you" and trying to hide that event I smell a fish.
They did their sums wrong, which told them there must be another planet out there. They looked around in the area and found Pluto. If they'd looked really hard in another part of the sky, chances are they'd have found another dwarf planet eventually.

It's the same sort of thing as Columbus discovering the New World. He did his sums wrong, which led him to believe that China wasn't as far away to the West from Spain as other people thought, so he sailed off and bumped into the Caribbean more or less where he was expecting to find the isles of Xipangu (a.k.a. Japan) and – despite making another three trips west – died convinced that he'd opened up a transatlantic route to the eastern shores of Asia.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Disembodied wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
They did their sums wrong, which told them there must be another planet out there. They looked around in the area and found Pluto. If they'd looked really hard in another part of the sky, chances are they'd have found another dwarf planet eventually.

It's the same sort of thing as Columbus discovering the New World. He did his sums wrong, which led him to believe that China wasn't as far away to the West from Spain as other people thought, so he sailed off and bumped into the Caribbean more or less where he was expecting to find the isles of Xipangu (a.k.a. Japan) and – despite making another three trips west – died convinced that he'd opened up a transatlantic route to the eastern shores of Asia.
I was told (at GCSE level I'll admit) that the West Indies are called the West Indies because Columbus thought he'd stumbled over a group of islands west of India...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I was told (at GCSE level I'll admit) that the West Indies are called the West Indies because Columbus thought he'd stumbled over a group of islands west of India...
I think "India" and "the Indies" in the 15th century were fairly vague designations for "really far away to the east" or "Asia beyond the Ottoman Empire". The West Indies did get their name from the fact that they were supposed, originally, to be western isles of India (by Columbus anyway – plenty of other people, with superior mathematical skills, thought otherwise). Native Americans got called "Indians" for the same reason, I suppose, even though everyone knew it wasn't India by then. Columbus knew about Japan – or rather, he knew that there were supposed to be these islands to the east of China, called "Xipangu" or "Cipangu", that were mentioned by Marco Polo. The fact that native peoples on the Caribbean islands knew about "a great empire to the west, with lots of gold, oh yes" (Aztecs, probably) didn't help with the confusion.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
That’s rather confused. Colombus referred to the area simply as the Indies, meaning “any part of Asia east of Persia”. When it became clear that it wasn’t Asia, the terms East Indies and West Indies (referring to the direction you travelled to get there from Europe) were used to avoid ambiguity.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:

Find another dwarf planet eventually? You know what the odds are on that? Even serendipity would blush. :oops: The eventually you speak of is just the last recent few years as a result of advances in electronics and bigger,better telescopes.

And quite the history lesson you two, continue. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Pretty cool! 8)