Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Buggy Space compass

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Jonah Hex
Average
Average

Buggy Space compass

Post by Jonah Hex »

The advanced space compass should show a witchpoint icon and a navigation icon, but I don't get these on mine. Also some of the keys are different for me. I think i am running v. 1.65 and on a Ubuntu (unity/Natty narwhal) machine.

The different keys are: ` instead of ~ for viewing the comms log

windows key + Q gives me full screen instead of quiting the game

V gives me external views, pressing it repeatedly shifts the external views

I don't know what key ^ is supposed to be, pressing shift + 6 which should give ^ does nothing for me and this key is supposed to be for the advanced navigational array, so maybe this is why i don't have a witchpoint beacon icon in my advanced compass?

Thanks for any help with this.
Hex
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Buggy Space compass

Post by Dragonfire »

I've always used the "\" key for cycling the ASC...that's the default.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

I agree with Dragonfire here that back slash '\' toggles through the compass. Always has as far as I know.
Shift 6 I have as route planing when in map mode, 6 local map (7Ly) 6 then 6 again galaxy map, shift 6 to see long distance route between selected systems.

A lot of the newer oxp's don't work with V1.65. So that is a possible reason for your problems with the advanced compass?
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Sounds like a key mapping issue - Oolite may be seeing your keyboard as (for example) a UK keyboard whereas you have a (for example again) US keyboard or something like that. I had similar problems on my windows laptop with the ASC switch - I had to redefine it to an unused key ("z" in my case iirc).

There is keyconfig.plist which is designed to work around that by letting you redefine the keys used. However quite how much of that is possible under 1.65 I have no idea. As noted in other threads, almost everyone these days should be using the 1.75.x pre-stable test release.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Jonah Hex wrote:
The advanced space compass should show a witchpoint icon and a navigation icon, but I don't get these on mine. Also some of the keys are different for me. I think i am running v. 1.65 and on a Ubuntu (unity/Natty narwhal) machine.

The different keys are: ` instead of ~ for viewing the comms log

windows key + Q gives me full screen instead of quiting the game

V gives me external views, pressing it repeatedly shifts the external views

I don't know what key ^ is supposed to be, pressing shift + 6 which should give ^ does nothing for me and this key is supposed to be for the advanced navigational array, so maybe this is why i don't have a witchpoint beacon icon in my advanced compass?

Thanks for any help with this.
Hex
Since the last time you posted in the other thread about not being able to edit files or find your AddOns folder - we suggested you uninstalled the copy from the Ubuntu Repository and used the Linux Distro-Neutral tarball - I'm guessing therefore you're still running 1.65. It's been so long since I played that version of the game I can't remember why the advanced nav array might not work in that version - sorry. (I'm presuming that you have bought this piece of equipment?)

I really do think you need to copy your save file to another part of the machine, uninstall 1.65 and install the latest version - otherwise your questions will rely on long memories of old-time members of the board and/or you will be told that on your version that's a bug that was fixed in any one of ten+ versions that have come out since.

I'm guessing some of the Devs might have 1.65 still installed because as they approach the point of NSR they'll be checking for backwards support with 1.65
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Availability

The Advanced Navigational Array is buyable equipment, available at any planet of Tech Level 7 or higher. Cost: 2250 Cr. This equipment is not supported in Oolite versions earlier than 1.67.

from the wiki, so the ANA doesn't work with 1.65 .

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Availability

The Advanced Navigational Array is buyable equipment, available at any planet of Tech Level 7 or higher. Cost: 2250 Cr. This equipment is not supported in Oolite versions earlier than 1.67.

from the wiki, so the ANA doesn't work with 1.65 .
Well Done Lone_Wolf, that's that sorted then.

Jonah - update - please.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here