Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Is it just me or did some of the voices disappear?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ChazFox
Above Average
Above Average

Is it just me or did some of the voices disappear?

Post by ChazFox »

After upgrading from 1.74.2 or so to 1.75.2, I noticed something rather disconcerting. It appears that not all of the Spoken Message voice options that were present in previous versions are in this version. In particular, I'm a little saddened that the "en-scottish" voice option isn't in here, because I used to always use that voice option. As a Scottish pilot, I was always glad to be accompanied by a Scottish ship computer, after all!

Will any of these voices return? (At the very least, are there OXPs that have Spoken Message voices similar to en-scottish? :P)
Food - Fuel - Fuzzy Aliens
Why not pay us a visit?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Is it just me or did some of the voices disappear?

Post by another_commander »

Many voices were removed in 1.75 because they were designated as "test" by the eSpeak developer(s), or were incomplete or simply buggy. We left only a subset that we felt comfortable using and supporting. If you want the Scottish voice, you can find it here. Just download it and save it inside your <OoliteInstallDir>\oolite.app\Resources\espeak-data\voices\en. You will then be able to select it normally from the Options screen.
ChazFox
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ChazFox »

Awesome, thanks a bunch!
Why not pay us a visit?
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Does it say 'Och, I cannae get any more power, Cap'n!' instead of 'Energy Low!' ? 8)

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
ChazFox
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ChazFox »

"We cannae use the injectors, cap'n! We hivna got the witchdrive fuel necessary for it! Nithin at a'!"

That would be awesome. If I ever get into making OXPs, I wonder if custom messages would be possible. I'd love to customise my ship's computer to fully speak the Doric.
Why not pay us a visit?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

ChazFox wrote:
"We cannae use the injectors, cap'n! We hivna got the witchdrive fuel necessary for it! Nithin at a'!"

That would be awesome. If I ever get into making OXPs, I wonder if custom messages would be possible.
Customised console messages and sound sets are among the easiest changes to make technically. The hard part is persuading people with interesting voices to provide sound samples.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

"Paging James Doohan to Sound Stage B..." :lol:
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
"Paging James Doohan to Sound Stage B..." :lol:

Best break out a Ouija board then....
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

:lol:

I was going to say, but you ninja'd me! :)

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Wildeblood wrote:
Customised console messages and sound sets are among the easiest changes to make technically. The hard part is persuading people with interesting voices to provide sound samples.
Since we’re talking about synthesized voices here, it’s just a matter of changing messages in descriptions.plist and adding phonetic corrections to speech_pronunciation_guide.plist.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Ahruman wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Since we’re talking about synthesized voices here, it’s just a matter of changing messages in descriptions.plist and adding phonetic corrections to speech_pronunciation_guide.plist.
No, we've moved on from the synthesized voice to sound samples from ancient TV shows. Some guy named Doohan, apparently.

But, since you mentioned descriptions.plist... it's "Press Space, Commander" with a comma! Actually, have some bonus exclamation marks...!!!!!

Still, if these young kids today had written it, it would probably say, "Press. Space. Commander." (Stephen King started the Really. Unnecessary. Punctuation. fad, I believe.)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Wildeblood wrote:
Still, if these young kids today had written it, it would probably say, "Press. Space. Commander." (Stephen King started the Really. Unnecessary. Punctuation. fad, I believe.)
This form of emphasis has been diagnosed as an immune response against the repeated exclamation mark.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Ahruman wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
This form of emphasis has been diagnosed as an immune response against the repeated exclamation mark.
That was hilarious!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm generally a fan of proper punctuation, and very rarely will I ever use multiple exclamation/question marks. Although I will use them combine the two for lack of an easy way to type an interrobang...
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
That was hilarious!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm generally a fan of proper punctuation, and very rarely will I ever use multiple exclamation/question marks. Although I will use them combine the two for lack of an easy way to type an interrobang...
OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!

After all these years, I finally come across someone else who knows what an interrobang is.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Wildeblood wrote:
Mauiby de Fug wrote:
OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!

After all these years, I finally come across someone else who knows what an interrobang is.
It seems to have it's own character as well. ""
And no, I had no clue what it was before this, so I googled it. I'm now a little wiser, thank you.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).